Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 10:41 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,208,368 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natali :) View Post
"not operative"- its about most REO listings ?
Most pools tend to be operative. You either keep them operating or drain them. Even REOs are often operative. The health dept gets all over you if you let a pool go south.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2010, 09:24 AM

2,076 posts, read 4,074,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natali :) View Post
WOW !

Is it had some visible defect before you replace it ?
The plaster actually looked OK, but I had some serious black algae problems that the pool guys seemed to think that cracks in the plaster were harboring black algae. We spent lots of money on every possible algae treatment and an acid wash before we finally gave up and replastered. It did fix the problem and the pool has been fine since. We upgraded from plaster to pebble tec also, which is why the cost was higher.

I replaced the tiles separately from the pool replaster, which I should have done them together, but I just didn't know. The tiles started popping off one day and pretty much just kept popping off.

So yes, there was some defects before I fixed the plaster and tiles.

Old 04-14-2010, 12:40 PM

182 posts, read 246,323 times
My sister has a pool at home, it's a lot of work and money to maintain. My question for everyone in here with a pool at home, how much did it cost to have a pool constructed and the monthly maintenance cost?

I live in a condo with a pool and jacuzzi and I pay $115 a month in fees, I don't have to do any maintenance, the association takes care of it, one of the things I don't agree with the association is I cannot use the jacuzzi during the winter. It is closed for the winter.

Old 04-14-2010, 04:31 PM

113 posts, read 306,277 times
In Las Vegas you need to change the water every 4-5 years,no way around it.Otherwise it stops absorbing chemicals and turns your pool tiles different colors.The filters get cleaned every 2 months,depending on the model of filter you have.

Old 04-14-2010, 06:12 PM

3,683 posts, read 9,862,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmac88 View Post
In Las Vegas you need to change the water every 4-5 years,no way around it.Otherwise it stops absorbing chemicals and turns your pool tiles different colors.The filters get cleaned every 2 months,depending on the model of filter you have.
That's not quite accurate.

The problem is the buildup of cyanuric acid if you use the stabilized chlorine tablets for sanitation. Chlorine becomes less effective as CYA increases, but some CYA is needed to protect chlorine from UV light. It can take as little as two years to build up so much CYA in the water that you need to drain it, as that is the only way to lower CYA levels. A similar problem exists with total dissolved solids - the TDS level just keeps building up as water evaporates and you add new water. 4-5 years is probably the longest you can go before changing your water in Las Vegas, although I will admit going almost ten years before changing 80% of the water. I was pretty good about using liquid or gas chlorine for sanitation, and covering the pool to reduce water loss by evaporation, so it took a really long time for things to build up to levels where action was needed.

Old 04-14-2010, 06:14 PM

3,683 posts, read 9,862,879 times
Many people would be shocked if they took the total cost of pool ownership and divided by the number of days they actually used the pool. For a lot of people it's over $100 each time they use the pool.

Old 04-14-2010, 07:14 PM

1,365 posts, read 4,472,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MediocreButArrogant View Post
Many people would be shocked if they took the total cost of pool ownership and divided by the number of days they actually used the pool. For a lot of people it's over $100 each time they use the pool.
Wow, that is crazy. I know we have already been in the pool a couple of times. But in the summer, unless it is storming we are generally in the pool everyday. I got depressed this winter looking at it, wanting to get in. Was thinking about a pool heater. Then came to my senses when I thought about my gas bill, lol!

But true, there are quite a few people that have them and really do not use them. Last year was the first year we had a regular pool, and not an above ground pool, and for me the summer did not seem hot as it usually does.

Old 04-15-2010, 10:11 AM

113 posts, read 306,277 times
Default Average

Quote:
That's not quite accurate.

The problem is the buildup of cyanuric acid if you use the stabilized chlorine tablets for sanitation. Chlorine becomes less effective as CYA increases, but some CYA is needed to protect chlorine from UV light. It can take as little as two years to build up so much CYA in the water that you need to drain it, as that is the only way to lower CYA levels. A similar problem exists with total dissolved solids - the TDS level just keeps building up as water evaporates and you add new water. 4-5 years is probably the longest you can go before changing your water in Las Vegas, although I will admit going almost ten years before changing 80% of the water. I was pretty good about using liquid or gas chlorine for sanitation, and covering the pool to reduce water loss by evaporation, so it took a really long time for things to build up to levels where action was needed.
I was reflecting on the AVERAGE Las Vegas pool owner,of course those that check their water readings more offen,or that use liquid chlorine can extend the time table to replace the water.. But as you said,I've heard of people that need to change it every 2 years also....Most people use Chlorine tables for sanitation...

Old 04-16-2010, 08:20 AM

11,177 posts, read 16,021,941 times
Quote:
My RE agent's partner tried to talk us out of buying a house with a pool, and she is a pool owner. Well more accurately, when my wife and I were debating on which of two houses to make an offer on, one with and one without a pool, she stated that it has been her experience with friends and clients that a homebuyer will use their pool extensively for the first couple of years, and then when the novelty wears off, the pool just becomes - if not a burden - then just an unnecessary monthly expense.

Nevertheless, we opted for the pool. And although we haven't been able to swim in it yet, I still enjoy going out in the morning and relaxing beside it in a lounge chair to drink coffee, read the paper, and smoke an occasional cigar. I feel like I'm at a resort hotel when I'm out there. In fact, I kidded my wife one morning by asking what time check out was (as if we were at a resort and had to leave.) I still feel like I'm on vacation and dreading the day I have to go back to real life.

That's how much I enjoy the pool, the house, and Las Vegas!

Old 04-16-2010, 09:18 AM

930 posts, read 1,818,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
I feel like I'm at a resort hotel when I'm out there. In fact, I kidded my wife one morning by asking what time check out was (as if we were at a resort and had to leave.) I still feel like I'm on vacation and dreading the day I have to go back to real life.

That reminds me of what my wife said when I told her a nice pool wasnt a requirement when looking for our new house as the previous pool we had could be a pain sometimes but she told me that since we didnt travel very much anymore on vacation, that her backyard w/pool and nice landscaping was her vacation spot when taking time off work. That made a lot of sense to me so the pool requirement went back on the must have list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas