Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2010, 04:40 PM

43 posts, read 62,819 times

Advertisements

Any info...how is this area and how are the schools.....89139
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2010, 05:22 PM

228 posts, read 555,228 times
I rented in 89139 (Robindale/S. Rainbow) my first year here (4 years ago).

Good area:
(1) All kinds of shopping in immediate proximity (Arroyo Plaza, multiple grocery stores, places to eat)
(2) Not far from I-215
(3) Less than 20 minutes from Strip and less than 15 minutes from Town Square (very nice shopping/dining/entertainment plaza on S. LV Blvd)
(4) Not unsafe

But I did not consider the SW part of town when I began searching for neighborhoods to buy in and settle into.

Old 05-01-2010, 06:01 PM

Thank you for the great information. So as far as you know its a safe area and safe schools???...(I realize probably not the best)

It was not our first pick of areas when we first started looking either. We wanted to be in Summerlin or Green Valley due to better schools I believe. After living on a 1/2 acrea lot in previous home just couldn't get into the zero lot lines and tiny yards of most of Summerlin. Then with work being at the airport we chose to concentrate on Henderson or southwest but with so many short sales and not finding anything we really loved in a home you could actually buy we found a new home in Cactus hills estates. We just wanted to be moved and settled before school started back in the fall...this way we are closing in a couple of weeks. I would have loved to found a home with a great pool already done but didn't work out that way....I found several beautiful short sale homes but didn't want to wait months.

Old 05-01-2010, 09:03 PM

228 posts, read 555,228 times
Wish I could help with respect to schools, but I'm not familiar enough with that subject.
Hopefully, others with more knowledge will chime in.

I consider the area more not unsafe as opposed to safe.
I was right on the Robindale/S. Rainbow Blvd intersection and it was PERFECTLY fine.
But incidents seemed to increase the further east you went (Robindale/Jones then Robindale/Decatur, … ).

If you haven’t already, try to search for weekly/monthly crime stats up to 5 miles (in all directions) from your particular intersection to get a better feel for things.

The main concern regarding developments in the area (and the SW as a whole) is uncertainty with unfinished projects (neighborhoods, parks, landscaping).

Here's the link to a good neighborhood newspaper: www.viewnews.com
They provide news/events by part of town.

If you have any more questions, don't hesitate to ask!

Old 05-22-2010, 01:02 AM

9 posts, read 23,872 times
[SIZE=3]I am always wanting to relocate from California and I have 1 child so I hope someone could provide their opinions on LV schools ?[/SIZE]

Old 05-22-2010, 07:45 AM

365 posts, read 423,762 times
The education system in LV is a weak point....You as the parent have to make the best of this situation by aiding as much as possible in your childs educational growth. The schools are at the bottom of the heap but that does not mean your child cant prosper.....

Old 05-22-2010, 11:21 AM

422 posts, read 1,084,981 times
Can't provide first hand knowledge on schools in SW, but I've been in the region for 6 years and very much love it! It seems to be reasonably close to most things, ie: shopping, major beltway, strip, airport and three hospitals within 5-7 miles. I feel very safe and secure in the area and little crime and incidents. Love the SW.....

As for schools in general, not a very stable system, very transient; teachers coming and going frequently. I had a cousin hired with two 'phone interviews, taught math here for 3 years and left for better pay, area. My teachers (I'm old) were in the system for their career, 30+ years, and would always ask if so and so was your brother, sister, etc. But, as mentioned, there are good and bad everywhere. I think a good student has to work harder with more help from home here.

Old 05-22-2010, 12:13 PM

9 posts, read 23,872 times
ty for that information, how about private or indpendent schools vs. public schools k-12?

Old 05-22-2010, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whyhateme View Post
Can't provide first hand knowledge on schools in SW, but I've been in the region for 6 years and very much love it! It seems to be reasonably close to most things, ie: shopping, major beltway, strip, airport and three hospitals within 5-7 miles. I feel very safe and secure in the area and little crime and incidents. Love the SW.....

As for schools in general, not a very stable system, very transient; teachers coming and going frequently. I had a cousin hired with two 'phone interviews, taught math here for 3 years and left for better pay, area. My teachers (I'm old) were in the system for their career, 30+ years, and would always ask if so and so was your brother, sister, etc. But, as mentioned, there are good and bad everywhere. I think a good student has to work harder with more help from home here.

So great to hear you love the SW....it seams to be so close to lots for us...work at airport and my work is close to the airport and Lake Mead. My husband moved into our great new home this week and I will get to join him in June. It can come soon enough...I am so excited to be coming to Las Vegas. My husband has been living there since March and loves it so far. We are coming with a positive attude and are going to make the best of it. Thanks for the the info on the schools... I think you and strato58 are correct....as parents we are the responsible ones for make sure our children are raised right and we just have to do our best in the school that he will be in and help at home to make up where the system fails. Later we might look into private schools for now public it is.

Old 05-22-2010, 06:00 PM

32 posts, read 93,204 times
are there any plans for any new parks in that area?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas