Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2006, 11:41 AM

1 posts, read 5,809 times

Advertisements

Hi!
I am looking for some information on moving to southwest las vegas. I have a friend who lives very close to the tony alamo school along el camino road, and I am thinking of moving close to this area. Can anybody give me additional information regarding this area? My friend says it is ok there compare to other parts of las vegas?...
I need information as well on the cost of living in this area. Would somebody be able to afford to live on around $45K per year?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2006, 12:24 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,369,826 times
Depends on what you consider "living". I lived in Vegas from 94-99, and for a portion of that time, I was doing it on around $45k/year. It wasn't easy then, and with the way prices have risen since then, I'd say you'll be living in the low-rent district to make it work.

Are you looking to rent or buy? Do you have kids? What kind of monthly expenses do you have aside from housing? All of those things will weigh into how well you can live on $45k there.

Bob

Old 07-05-2006, 06:36 PM

27 posts, read 183,156 times
I agree. There is a lot to take into consideration when considering where you can afford to live. If you are purchasing a house, consider that right now the average for a new home, roughly 2200 sq ft, 4 bd is about $330,000-some parts of town and little more, some a little less. Condos (most have been converted from apartments) are a little cheaper, but still most are in the high $200's. I live in northwest Vegas and am planning on moving to North Carolina next year. Both Northwest and Southwest Vegas seem to be pretty good as far as lower crime than some areas and nice neighborhoods, but there is good and bad in any part of this town. As far as the schools, there is not much good to say. But, one good thing is that this coming school year Clark County has turned 4 schools into Empowerment schools. Basically, the teachers and principals all have to reapply for positions and be held to higher qualifications and the kids will get for one on one attention. There is one school in the northwest, southwest, northeast and southeast. I don't know which one is southwest where you are looking. But, I am only a few miles from southwest Vegas and the Empowerment school here is Paul Culley, where my son goes. It is still public school, but at least it's a step above some of the other schools. Hope this information helps.

Old 07-07-2006, 12:34 AM

5 posts, read 49,919 times
Talking Southwest area

I have lived in the southwest of las vegas for nearly all my life and I can honestly tell you that it's my favorite part of town because if you make 45k per year or 145k per year you can find anything that fits your needs. Although, you have to be patient and with patience you can find great things. I've helped my clients numerous times who have had bad credit and that were in financial ruines but I told them to be patient and things will work out. So my advice is be patient and keep looking and the right things will happen, I promise.

Old 06-06-2007, 02:54 PM

2 posts, read 8,315 times
i am trying to move to las vegas (Henderson) in about 2 months with my Fiance' and 3 daughters...we are having trouble choosing an apartment on the internet. Any advice?

Old 06-06-2007, 03:26 PM

1 posts, read 5,720 times
Default Finding an apartment in Las Vegas

Depending on how much you're willing to spend on an apartment - you're better off renting a condo or single family home for almost the same price. Moderator cut: soliciting Best of luck to you and your family here in Las Vegas!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: