Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2010, 10:15 AM

1,616 posts, read 2,490,126 times

Advertisements

OK, so we ended up flying in on July 1st and had decided to schedule some comedy shows for Fri, Sat, and Sun. as fireworks were not a priority for us. Final results: Friday - Arrived at T.I. at 7 to pick up Bill Cosby tickets for 9:30 show to be informed that he had cancelled due to scheduling conflict (read as low ticket sales) and ended up at Fremont Street (not bad), Saturday - Caught Brad Garrett at his new club at 10 PM show (excellent) , Sunday - Arrive at Harrah's at 7 to pick up tickets for 10:30 Improv show to find valet parking full, need half hour to find spot in self-park and then notified that Bobby Collins cancelled his performance.
After dealing with UNBELIEVABLE traffic, too many drunken fools to count stumbling around everywhere, being caught in a MASSIVE traffic jam outside of TI due to an accident on Friday night, and the last second cancellations, have decided to NOT do July 4th anywhere near the Strip in the future. Luckily, any off-strip activity during this weekend was pleasant enough to maintain our positive outlook on Las Vegas.
Just want to say, I have enjoyed a bit of alcoholic overindulgence in my past and totally understand the need to let go every so often, but why must so many of these idiots be so obnoxious when they drink?
Sadly, a number of these jerks were introduced to the somewhat confrontational New York City attitude we try so hard to leave behind during our summers in Las Vegas. I literally had to push one jerk on his butt as he was about to knock over an older woman and her grandchild.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2010, 05:15 PM

10,481 posts, read 25,284,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memememe View Post
We did have a good time, though it was lame that the parking lot lights stayed on in full force. It was an awfully short show, but it was nice considering it was private. That ruins the effect. When we got back to our neighborhood it turned out there were plenty of 'unsafe & insane' aerials right here! So that was actually pretty fun.
You should have come to Aliante station. They turned off the sign and all the outside lights. They closed off one entire lot for everyone to watch the fireworks from. It was really nice.

Old 07-05-2010, 06:53 PM

90 posts, read 185,043 times
Oh, I should have! Were there cops on bicycles riding around making sure you didn't eat or drink anything from your own coolers while in your own car (though there weren't any food or drink vendors)? (eyeroll)

After quixotic's experience, I'd say I didn't miss anything by not going to Caesar's!

Old 07-05-2010, 08:20 PM

10,481 posts, read 25,284,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memememe View Post
Oh, I should have! Were there cops on bicycles riding around making sure you didn't eat or drink anything from your own coolers while in your own car (though there weren't any food or drink vendors)? (eyeroll)

After quixotic's experience, I'd say I didn't miss anything by not going to Caesar's!
No cops arresting us for eating snacks. They were mainly there to direct traffic. I guess they are a little more strict at Red Rock. We tried to go there one year and they chased us off of the parking garage. Wouldn't let us get anywhere near to see fireworks, so never went there again for any celebration. Snobs.
Been to Aliante station the last two times for fireworks. Always pleasant. It also helps that I live nearby.
I hope you have a better experience next year.

Old 07-05-2010, 08:56 PM

3,622 posts, read 5,593,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quixotic59 View Post
OK, so we ended up flying in on July 1st and had decided to schedule some comedy shows for Fri, Sat, and Sun. as fireworks were not a priority for us. Final results: Friday - Arrived at T.I. at 7 to pick up Bill Cosby tickets for 9:30 show to be informed that he had cancelled due to scheduling conflict (read as low ticket sales) and ended up at Fremont Street (not bad), Saturday - Caught Brad Garrett at his new club at 10 PM show (excellent) , Sunday - Arrive at Harrah's at 7 to pick up tickets for 10:30 Improv show to find valet parking full, need half hour to find spot in self-park and then notified that Bobby Collins cancelled his performance.
After dealing with UNBELIEVABLE traffic, too many drunken fools to count stumbling around everywhere, being caught in a MASSIVE traffic jam outside of TI due to an accident on Friday night, and the last second cancellations, have decided to NOT do July 4th anywhere near the Strip in the future. Luckily, any off-strip activity during this weekend was pleasant enough to maintain our positive outlook on Las Vegas.
Just want to say, I have enjoyed a bit of alcoholic overindulgence in my past and totally understand the need to let go every so often, but why must so many of these idiots be so obnoxious when they drink?
Sadly, a number of these jerks were introduced to the somewhat confrontational New York City attitude we try so hard to leave behind during our summers in Las Vegas. I literally had to push one jerk on his butt as he was about to knock over an older woman and her grandchild.
Maybe the confrontational jerks were from NYC? I'm so glad I stayed away from the Strip and went to Red Rock instead. We parked our car across the street got out, watched the fireworks, and drove home. No traffic!

Old 07-05-2010, 08:58 PM

Memememe- I'm glad you had a nice time. Luckily it was pretty dark where we were since we were in the empty/desert lot across the street. The fireworks were nice, not spectacular but definitely worth getting out and seeing.

Old 07-06-2010, 05:08 PM

1,616 posts, read 2,490,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyra33 View Post
Maybe the confrontational jerks were from NYC? I'm so glad I stayed away from the Strip and went to Red Rock instead. We parked our car across the street got out, watched the fireworks, and drove home. No traffic!
Wouldn't doubt it for a minute!!! Can't escape the idiots no matter how far we run!!! Next year, off strip on July 4th for us!!

On a related note, although we've said it before and will say it again, even during the mosh pit on the strip during the Fourth, from cab drivers and valets to waitresses, from Wal-Mart clerks to grocery store cashiers, every local we meet is helpful, polite, considerate and sincere. Kudos Las Vegans!!!!!!

Old 07-06-2010, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quixotic59 View Post
Wouldn't doubt it for a minute!!! Can't escape the idiots no matter how far we run!!! Next year, off strip on July 4th for us!!

On a related note, although we've said it before and will say it again, even during the mosh pit on the strip during the Fourth, from cab drivers and valets to waitresses, from Wal-Mart clerks to grocery store cashiers, every local we meet is helpful, polite, considerate and sincere. Kudos Las Vegans!!!!!!
I think locals are pretty friendly. When I first moved here I was surprised when it was common for people to ask why I was here when they saw my out of state DL. And then usually they would ask why I was moving here, lol.
However, when you get out on the road it's every man for him/herself. We have a strange mix. One minute you have someone going under the speed limit, and the next someone about to run you over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas