Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 11:13 AM

1 posts, read 1,851 times

Advertisements

Hello,
my name is Julia. I moved over from Germany to USA 6 weeks ago with my son.

Me (german) and my boyfriend (american) would like to get married.
We applied already for the "K" Visa a couple of months ago like our lawyer told us to do.
But still after months nothing happend. No reply or anything. At the moment we are in the Staates with a 90 days "Visitor Visa".
A few days ago we contacted another lawyer. He told us we dont need a "K" Visa to get married, because Im from Europe. It would take just some paperwork.

So, which lawyer is right ? Do we need a "K" Visa or not ?

Greetings and Thank you in anticipation!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2010, 11:36 AM

8,327 posts, read 13,459,826 times
Most of the Immigration Attorneys are crooks or give invalid info.
Check with this guy (Salim), he is honest and knows what he is talking about:

Liberty Immigration Services, 2601 Ball Rd, Anaheim CA 92804. Ph: 714-827-3644 | b2bYellowpages.com

Good Luck.

Old 07-13-2010, 12:18 PM

43,682 posts, read 44,425,236 times
This is the way the "K" worked some years ago:
The "K" visa is a fiancee visa that one gets overseas sponsored by the person's future American spouse. When the person with the "K" visa arrives in the USA they get a temporary work permit until they change their status to married with the immigration authorities.
So I doubt you need a "K" visa to get married in the USA if you are already here on a tourist visa. Perhaps it would take less time to get a work permit, etc. if you were on "K" visa.
BTW, I know people from Germany that came to the USA on tourist visas just to get married in the USA (as a destination wedding) and then returned home to Germany.

Old 07-13-2010, 02:48 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,035,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by placebo_to_go View Post
Hello,
my name is Julia. I moved over from Germany to USA 6 weeks ago with my son.

Me (german) and my boyfriend (american) would like to get married.
We applied already for the "K" Visa a couple of months ago like our lawyer told us to do.
But still after months nothing happend. No reply or anything. At the moment we are in the Staates with a 90 days "Visitor Visa".
A few days ago we contacted another lawyer. He told us we dont need a "K" Visa to get married, because Im from Europe. It would take just some paperwork.

So, which lawyer is right ? Do we need a "K" Visa or not ?

Greetings and Thank you in anticipation!
I'd forget about both lawyers. This site will give you a step, by step guide for how to do it yourself.

K3 and K4 Visa Outline

If that link doesn't work you can copy and past this:

K3 and K4 Visa Outline

Warning: The process is very long and complicated, it is very expensive, and if you mess it up, you will not get in. So take your time and do it right. You are looking at maybe $5,000 - $10,000 in costs, one to two years of work, and being unemployed for a good part of that time.

Last edited by KaaBoom; 07-13-2010 at 03:24 PM.. Reason: Grammer.

Old 07-13-2010, 03:21 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,035,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
This is the way the "K" worked some years ago:
The "K" visa is a fiancee visa that one gets overseas sponsored by the person's future American spouse. When the person with the "K" visa arrives in the USA they get a temporary work permit until they change their status to married with the immigration authorities.
So I doubt you need a "K" visa to get married in the USA if you are already here on a tourist visa. Perhaps it would take less time to get a work permit, etc. if you were on "K" visa.

I believe that is not entirely correct. First I'm pretty sure there is no temporary work permit for a K Visa. You can only work when you finish the process and become a permanent resident. At least thats the way it was for people I've known. I'm also pretty sure that you can not just change the status of Tourist Visa to a Fiance Visa, or Spousal Visa.

But I do agree that she probably does not need a K Visa just to get married here. So long as she did not lie about her intention when she entered the US. Example: Coming on a Tourist Visa with the intention of getting married here. Because that would be immigration fraud and would most likely disqualify her.

Old 07-14-2010, 01:25 AM

6,612 posts, read 12,844,587 times
OR you could just read the "sticky notes" at the top of this forum which has links to the OFFICIAL US immigration site for better information.

If you came in on a tourist visa and just decided to get married then you can apply to adjust your status based on your marriage but it's not an "easy" path to a greencard status. If, however you came on a tourist visa with the INTENTION of getting married and staying, then yes that is immigration fraud.

Best to read the USCIS website and see where you stand.

Old 07-15-2010, 01:41 PM

43,682 posts, read 44,425,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
I believe that is not entirely correct. First I'm pretty sure there is no temporary work permit for a K Visa. You can only work when you finish the process and become a permanent resident. At least thats the way it was for people I've known. I'm also pretty sure that you can not just change the status of Tourist Visa to a Fiance Visa, or Spousal Visa.

But I do agree that she probably does not need a K Visa just to get married here. So long as she did not lie about her intention when she entered the US. Example: Coming on a Tourist Visa with the intention of getting married here. Because that would be immigration fraud and would most likely disqualify her.
I know someone personally that came here on a K visa several years ago and was issued a temporary work permit for 90 days (which same amount of time the K visa was for) at the airport upon arrival in the USA. I don't know if now a person entering the USA would get a temporary work or not as the laws/system may have changed.
I do agree with you that one probably can't change their status from a tourist visa to any other type of visa without the person returning to their home country to do so.

Old 07-16-2010, 12:35 AM

1,863 posts, read 5,150,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
do agree with you that one probably can't change their status from a tourist visa to any other type of visa without the person returning to their home country to do so.
A lot of people do that.

Old 07-22-2010, 10:15 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,229,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
I'd forget about both lawyers. This site will give you a step, by step guide for how to do it yourself.

K3 and K4 Visa Outline

If that link doesn't work you can copy and past this:

K3 and K4 Visa Outline

Warning: The process is very long and complicated, it is very expensive, and if you mess it up, you will not get in. So take your time and do it right. You are looking at maybe $5,000 - $10,000 in costs, one to two years of work, and being unemployed for a good part of that time.
My wife and I did the K-1 route. It cost a total of about 1800.00. That was in 2005. I did use a lawyer David Reemy which cost an additional 1200.00. I have no regrets using Reemy he made it easy as far as the paper work went. It took about 5 months for all the approvals etc to go through.
Once here we had to apply for a temperary permanent green card. Good for 2 years. I believe that cost 500.00.
After getting the temp green card we applied for a ssn for my wife. That took 2 months.
Then my wife found a job and is still working.

Old 07-22-2010, 11:03 AM

24,597 posts, read 10,909,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingwiththewind View Post
A lot of people do that.
Adjusting status calling it spontaneous with a pending K filing?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration