Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2010, 02:26 PM

1 posts, read 4,756 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am currently an international student from India, so i am on F1 visa. My question is, My fiancee is in India currently and i want her to come here with me and stay together.

I have 2 possiblities for both of us to stay together.

1. she applies for dependent visa F2 (after getting married)
2. she applies for individual student visa.

My question is, as we get married, applying for a student visa directly will be a tough ? specially during interview, explaining visa officer if he ask her that i am anyways going to come back to India, after my degree is complete, why she wants to go on F1 ? as for short term she can get F2.

but she also wants to study here. so on dependent visa its really not possible.

Another way i think is right now get married and file for dependent visa and than after she comes here to USA... file for student F1 visa. But i dont know how is this process. If she is on F2 in USA will she has to go again back India, file up for the change in visa status again from scratch and IF approved than she will be able to come back? or change of status can be filed directly in USA consulate?? help me with more specific details. I will be greatful.
Are there risks that she might not get the change in status and dependent visa might get cancelled?

I dont know which way is correct, and not able to figure out which one to opt for.

depending on the least risks, we both can plan for either to get married first or apply for student visa or dependent visa.

I am looking specific way so that later on it wont be a permanent problem for her if she visa get rejected. AS thinking once married, getting F1 might be difficult or may be without marriage F1 might be easy. This is just my belief. I want some help from you friends.

thanks a lot.

help appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration