Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2010, 03:32 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,710,891 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanadon View Post
I have visited this site and it has no mention of you having to reside in NY for a minimum amount of time to get married.
It's not mentioned because you don't have to establish residency. After submitting the application you're required to appear in person to pick up the paperwork and then wait 24 hours before you can be wed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2010, 07:40 PM

4 posts, read 61,022 times
Do we need to apply online? It say we can show up in person and complete the application in their office, am I understanding that right?

Quote:
You will receive the application from the information desk and you must complete the application in our office.
Your Marriage License will be processed while you wait.
City Clerk's Office - Marriage License

Old 11-11-2010, 02:12 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,710,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanadon View Post
Do we need to apply online? It say we can show up in person and complete the application in their office, am I understanding that right?

City Clerk's Office - Marriage License
Read what the website says and follow the simple instructions. You CAN apply on line, the forms to fill out are right there and then you have to appear in person to complete the application.

Your biggest obstacle is your fiancee's visa which can take months to years to obtain and the uscis website clearly explains the procedure to follow.

Old 01-01-2011, 02:09 PM

1 posts, read 1,728 times
What are the requirements for 2 people that live in the US but neither has a greencard and want to get married in Texas?

Old 01-01-2011, 07:03 PM

1,279 posts, read 4,771,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by estellasb49 View Post
What are the requirements for 2 people that live in the US but neither has a greencard and want to get married in Texas?
No specific requirements for foreigners, but you need to have a Social Security number and there is a trhree day waiting period: VSU - Marriage and Divorce FAQ

Old 10-28-2017, 10:59 AM

1 posts, read 662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
Absolutely and I didn't read the link....You need to have it made official in your own country depending on the Law overthere.

I know that Dutch people sometimes go to Las Vegas and marry over there and go to city hall in The Netherlands and sign the official paper which makes it official.

In The Netherlands you have to announce your wedding 6 weeks prior before you get married....if that hasn't changed, but it was when i got married but that was some years ago...lol

But I sense an under lying question...since you put it up in the legal immigration section...if your real question is if it gives you a right or path towards a greencard, the answer is NO!
Do you know if marrying here could hurt the couple's chances of moving towards residency later?

Old 10-28-2017, 12:16 PM

4,204 posts, read 4,689,623 times
It is possible. You need to have atleast 2 IDs, local Driving license, Postal address. I have attended many weddings of Foreign International Graduate students (f-1 visa, j-1 visa, B-1/B-2 ) who were both Foreign students but living legally in USA. Green card or citizenship is not mandatory. Even if one person of the two got SSN, Driving License, thats enough. They insist on Government issued ID.
A foreign student on visa will have License, Address- a tourist might be denied.

Old 10-29-2017, 06:59 AM

2,587 posts, read 1,595,603 times
Can’t help with two people from different countries marrying in the U.S., but my wife and I, (both U.K. citizens), were married in Florida in 1994.
We were there in May that year, and tossed the idea around, partly because she wasn’t enthralled with all the peripheral arrangements involved in getting married, and I knew that her family, as much as I loved them, were the biggest bunch of freeloaders on the planet, and a wedding back home would involve me buying a gazillion cases of beer, and dozens of bottles of liquor and champagne.
The County Clerk at Hernando County Courthouse, Brooksville, FL, told us that all we needed were proof of our divorces, passports, birth certificates, and the purchase of a marriage licence.
We duly arrived back in Spring Hill FL in October, I bought a marriage licence, which would expire if we didn’t marry within 60 days, produced the required paperwork and booked the ceremony for Oct 17.
I’d already invited two friends from NYC to come be witnesses and have a freebie week in our rented pool home, they arrived a couple of days prior to the wedding, decorated my Alamo rental car with ribbons and chauffeured us to the Court House, then after to a restaurant, where we celebrated with crab linguine and champagne.
We threw a bash for the family back home on Saturday, Nov 26, (my birthday), that year to coincide with Thanksgiving on Thu 24th. I gave them all Jack Daniels and pumpkin pie to be authentic.
I still go back every October to throw stones at the Court House windows!

Old 10-29-2017, 07:11 AM

24,569 posts, read 10,869,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munna21977 View Post
It is possible. You need to have atleast 2 IDs, local Driving license, Postal address. I have attended many weddings of Foreign International Graduate students (f-1 visa, j-1 visa, B-1/B-2 ) who were both Foreign students but living legally in USA. Green card or citizenship is not mandatory. Even if one person of the two got SSN, Driving License, thats enough. They insist on Government issued ID.
A foreign student on visa will have License, Address- a tourist might be denied.
Every municipality has its own requirements from blood tests to ID. Contact the respective office at the local court house.

Know what your local requirements are as far as documentation is concerned to change passports, DLs, ... We rentals had a quirky requirement (German clerk insisted upon a document nobody at Alabama's administration was familiar with and turned out to be a figment of her imagination after Alabama complied.). Always get several certified copies of the marriage certificate and at least one with the socalled Golden Apostille.

It has no bearing upon future Green Card applications but you will go the CR1 route - spousal visa.

Old 10-29-2017, 09:30 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,226,860 times
You can get married anywhere you like. But CBP may have an issue with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration