Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2012, 06:49 AM

9 posts, read 11,649 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I'm male(33) from EU (central Europe) with own business for few years now.
I was doing well but due to the economy crisis in Europe, my business is constantly going down for the last year and the end of the crises is not even close(also statement of our government and economists). For maintaining business and hoping to get over this economy crises, I have spent almost all of my financial reserves and looks like I will have to shut company down in a few months if things won't get better "over night".
If I will shut it down, I for sure don't want to stay here (bad earnings followed by highest resident income tax rate in the world).

Since I was a kid, I was dreaming about moving to USA (NYC or LA - I love big cities). And still am.
So, if I am going to move, I would like to migrate to the states. But I don't know where to look, who to talk with,... I was googleing a lot but there is a lot of scam around migrations.

I have bachelors degree in IT, 10+ years of working experience in IT.
With my age(33) I don't think I'm too old for my potential employer yet (but climbing to the edge).
So if I want to migrate i have to do it now .
(But don't want to "go out there and try my luck". If/When i move i want to be sure where will I be working and where will I be living)

As i saw, here is a lot of people who had successfully migrated.
I would be glad if someone can give me a hint where to look for jobs, any good agencies, what common problems will i have,...

In other words...how/where to start?

p.s.
I don't have any relatives or connections in USA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2012, 01:12 PM

1,767 posts, read 2,350,866 times

Start by visiting your target areas.

Lots of big cities in the USA other than NYC or LA.

Generally, the cost of living on the extreme coasts is greater than in the heartland.

CNBC recently chose Texas as the most business-friendly state.

Texas politicians crow as state named nation

Old 07-15-2012, 10:43 PM

242 posts, read 466,194 times
North Carolina is relatively business friendly, they tend to welcome people who will be creating jobs. This particular part of N. Carolina is fairly well educated, lots of colleges and universities close by.

Old 07-16-2012, 05:21 AM

4,204 posts, read 4,697,984 times
If you have a degree in IT plus experience, I suggest you should contact IT consultancies either in New York/NJ area or in California. They can hire you as a contractor on H-1B visa and then depending on which country you are from, you can get a fast-track Green card. After Green Card, you can open your own business. If you can disclose which country you are from (I mean citizenship), we can help you more specifically.

Old 07-16-2012, 10:11 AM

9 posts, read 11,649 times
Thank you all for replies...

I guess my opening post wasn't written well...sorry.
If my business wont get better here, i would like to find a job in the states and not establish my own business (at least not in the beginning).

@munna21977
I'm from Slovenia (also citizen of Slovenia).

@king's highway
It's not like i strictly want to go to NYC or LA and nowhere else...

btw:
i was checking craigslist and some similar portals about IT jobs in USA.
Job market seems to be much, much better then here.
Does anyone have any info how desired are foreign IT workers?

Old 07-16-2012, 10:59 AM

1,767 posts, read 2,350,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedNerv View Post
Thank you all for replies...

I guess my opening post wasn't written well...sorry.
If my business wont get better here, i would like to find a job in the states and not establish my own business (at least not in the beginning).

@munna21977
I'm from Slovenia (also citizen of Slovenia).

@king's highway
It's not like i strictly want to go to NYC or LA and nowhere else...

btw:
i was checking craigslist and some similar portals about IT jobs in USA.
Job market seems to be much, much better then here.

Your post was very well written.

Being business-friendly usually means more jobs.

There are tons of foreign IT workers in the US.

Old 07-16-2012, 12:40 PM

24,647 posts, read 10,980,030 times
Your post does not give any indication of your real qualification.
Dice, LinkedIn, direct applications - network, network, network. Familiarize yourself with US immigration law.

Old 07-16-2012, 04:36 PM

1,222 posts, read 2,281,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedNerv View Post
Desired? Honestly, the economy statesside is not the best either and there are a lot of unemployed Americans with computer science degrees. For an H1-B (which is the visa that allows one to work for an American company and can be converted into a Green Card later on) the employer has to prove that you are of special interest to them and no American can do the same job. Also, you said you are from Slovenia and I assume you went to college there. No one in the United States is going to know your university or your degree, if it is comparable to a US degree or not. The employer has to spend thousands of dollars for you to apply for your visa.

If you want to start your own business there are visas especially for that purpose, so that is probably your best shot IMO since you already have experience with that.
Another option would be to do an internship/traineeship on a J-1 visa which has less strict requirements. Sometimes that ends up in an H1-B visa because in that case the company knows you're worth the investment.

Good luck!

Old 07-16-2012, 07:09 PM

1,279 posts, read 4,774,854 times
Forget craigslist. The jobs advertised there are not the ones that will pay the $5000+ a visa for a foreign employee costs a employer. Check out the websites of large companies (Google, HP etc), they all have a career section. Post your resume on monster and indeed. Unless you have some very specific, rare qualifications, you won;t get a visa in the current climate, there are a lot of US citizen IT workers looking for jobs too.

Have you tried the DV lottery?

Old 07-16-2012, 08:53 PM

24,647 posts, read 10,980,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob702 View Post
Desired? Honestly, the economy statesside is not the best either and there are a lot of unemployed Americans with computer science degrees. For an H1-B (which is the visa that allows one to work for an American company and can be converted into a Green Card later on) the employer has to prove that you are of special interest to them and no American can do the same job. Also, you said you are from Slovenia and I assume you went to college there. No one in the United States is going to know your university or your degree, if it is comparable to a US degree or not. The employer has to spend thousands of dollars for you to apply for your visa.

If you want to start your own business there are visas especially for that purpose, so that is probably your best shot IMO since you already have experience with that.
Another option would be to do an internship/traineeship on a J-1 visa which has less strict requirements. Sometimes that ends up in an H1-B visa because in that case the company knows you're worth the investment.

Good luck!
WES will gladly take care of official education evaluation.
OP already mentioned he does not want to start a business.
J1 to H1B - by then OP will be how old?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration