Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2013, 03:23 AM

1,279 posts, read 4,769,957 times

Advertisements

Paul- if your company is sending you on an L1 visa, neither of you will get a greencard. He could get an L2 visa for a few months until he reaches 21.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2013, 07:20 AM

983 posts, read 1,633,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguin_ie View Post
Paul- if your company is sending you on an L1 visa, neither of you will get a greencard. He could get an L2 visa for a few months until he reaches 21.
Uhm, if they start the GC process immediately on EB-1C he will get it on time. If filed on EB-2 it will be very tight.

The son will be safe if the I-485 is filed before he turns 21.

EB-1 is STRONGLY preferred.

Eb-2 should be doable if the company starts the process the minute he starts: recruitment (about 90 days) + PERM (about 90 days). Then comes the I-140 and I-485 concurrent filing. Son will be safe at this point. The actual green card should come about 6 months after that.

Problem is, if the PERM application is audited, then it's 6 months for that (best case scenario), so everything blurs. That's why EB-1 is preferred. But case has to be legitimate EB-1 (high level executive position, air tight case)

Last edited by Collective; 07-02-2013 at 07:28 AM..

Old 10-16-2013, 01:25 AM

1 posts, read 1,764 times
I have a L1 visa. Can my son who is 17 years old study in a college in the US ? If so, does he pay a reduced tuition fees or the normnal tuition fees as an international student?

Thanks in advance

Old 10-16-2013, 04:46 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,678,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reenadeb View Post
I have a L1 visa. Can my son who is 17 years old study in a college in the US ? If so, does he pay a reduced tuition fees or the normnal tuition fees as an international student?

Thanks in advance
You can find details on the USCIS website linked in the first "sticky" on this forum but I believe you will find that he'll pay the regular tuition rates as long as he's established residency in the state in which the college is located which I believe requires one year of full residency to qualify. If he were on an F-1 visa the tuition rates would be considerably higher which would be minimally offset if he can work the allowed 20 hours/week on campus or in an approved off campus position. On the L2 visa he's not allowed to work, period. There's no provision for paying "reduced tuition fees" but regular fees vary from college to college.

Old 10-16-2013, 09:20 AM

3,645 posts, read 7,147,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguin_ie View Post

WRONG....l1 is a dual intent visa and CAN most definitely lead to a GC

Old 10-16-2013, 09:23 AM

3,645 posts, read 7,147,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul David Kelly View Post
Hi,

My company has asked if I would be willing to transfer to Florida next year.I am interested but my son will be 20 yrs old and I am not sure whether he would receive a green card if we applied before his 21st birthday. Does anyone know whether applying prior to his 21st birthday will be acceptable for consideration for a Green card?
Many thanks in advance for any help

Paul
the common consensus is that you should not apply for the GC (actually it is the employer who applies) until after 12 months , although this is not cast in stone. The L1 is a dual intent visa meaning you can decide to stay, HOWEVER within the initial paperwork you have to show that it is the intention to return to the UK. it will be VERY tight and I would recommend seeking sound legal advice before proceeding

Old 10-17-2013, 03:56 AM

1,279 posts, read 4,769,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr&mrssunshine View Post
WRONG....l1 is a dual intent visa and CAN most definitely lead to a GC
It can absolutely LEAD to a greencard, but it does't GET you one automatically.

Old 10-29-2018, 09:02 AM

1 posts, read 632 times
Hi,

I currently live with my wife and my 2 sons in Dallas. We are all under my L2 visa expiring in 2022. My older son is turning 21 in May 2019. He is today student at Plano College, in his second year. He is willing to transfer to UTD on fall 2019. We have understood he must go to a stand alone F1 visa, right? But what about the tuition at UTD? Will he be considered as Texas resident or international just because of the visa he will have then? Thanks

Old 10-29-2018, 11:36 AM

24,488 posts, read 10,815,620 times
Contact UTD international. They should also be able to tell you if he can adjust status in country or has to go through application/interview in his country of record.

Old 10-29-2018, 08:52 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,214,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul David Kelly View Post
Hi,

My company has asked if I would be willing to transfer to Florida next year.I am interested but my son will be 20 yrs old and I am not sure whether he would receive a green card if we applied before his 21st birthday. Does anyone know whether applying prior to his 21st birthday will be acceptable for consideration for a Green card?
Many thanks in advance for any help

Paul
You have to be physically present in the US for five years before applying for a green card.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration