Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2013, 09:36 PM

5,299 posts, read 4,847,626 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
If they are such hard workers then why don't they work on fixing their own damned country? Mexicans? Do you mean the illegal kind? They are afraid of being deported so they work hard at slave labor wages. Intimidation and fear does not equate to being a hard worker per se. This country didn't get built and become the most successful county on earth if whites and other racial groups who helped build this country were lazy. Your stereotyping of white Americans is laughable to say the least.
Sometimes I just like re-posting someone else's comments to give them less relevance...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2013, 03:11 AM

6 posts, read 10,640 times
maybe im going to live for 65 years or 70 if im lucky. im 30 years old now. im not going to waste the rest of my life in some place that not dealing with you as human.
excuse me mr. how you dare to ask this question before you go and see how we life.

Old 07-20-2017, 07:43 PM

36 posts, read 25,046 times
Why the heck should they when there is this sucker nation that will take them in, give them everything for free for as long as they choose to stay; at an insurmountable cost to it's citizens and with wreckless regard to it's citizens.

Old 07-21-2017, 05:15 AM

18,528 posts, read 18,752,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by INSOM NNY View Post
Why the heck should they when there is this sucker nation that will take them in, give them everything for free for as long as they choose to stay; at an insurmountable cost to it's citizens and with wreckless regard to it's citizens.
Happening all over some governments for some crazy reasons have now became charities to hand out houses and money willy nilly, so why should anyone even think about rebuilding the homeland, its built here for them.

Old 07-21-2017, 12:42 PM

7,650 posts, read 4,599,879 times
Let me put it in the context of emigration rather than immigration.

I grew up in a town of less than 1000 people. I wanted to go into business. As there were no businesses where I grew up, I needed to move to an area where there were businesses. Had I stayed, some people got employment in construction or farming, but I have aptitude in neither area. Now that I'm older and putting together a company, I hope to be able to give some opportunities to engineers and business people in the area, but that's not the norm. My ancestors that came from Europe were escaping the Germanization of their lands in Poland. The late 19th century was not a great time to be Polish. It was not an easy move to head to the end of civilization and to keep going and self build...everything as a settler.

As for immigrants today

If a terrorist group, or a communist regime or some army general is able to come to your home or business and decide something you have is now going to be yours, why would you stay? Nobody wakes up one day, and for no reason decides they want to leave their friends and family for no reason at all. People talk about immigrant abuse of the system as if there was a magical way to segregate that portion from the overwhelming net positive immigrants have brought to this country.

At the heart of it is the age old issue of displaced immigrants of talent coming to a native population and being able and willing to do more with what is there.

Old 07-25-2017, 07:57 AM

983 posts, read 1,634,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by INSOM NNY View Post
Schroedinger's immigrant: lives off welfare while not working AND takes all the jobs at the same time.

Old 07-25-2017, 11:14 AM

29 posts, read 26,595 times
I refuse to go back to Mexico until the Government actually uses some of the money they get from tourism is used to help their poor so they don't have to be smuggled into the back of a truck and die because of heat. Besides I am older now living off of $867.00 a month in Social Security and cannot afford it.

I have nothing against immigrants, my Grandfather came from Canary Islands in the 1800's, did not speak English, he married my French speaking Creole Grandmother and had 6 children of which the Government did not support, he and my Grandmother raised and supported their daughters and sons themselves, all of my Uncles served in WWII.

Its just hubby and I, he too only has Social Security coming in and takes 3 different insulins daily. We don't qualify for help via Medicare with meds or food so over the years if an emergency comes up, we use credit cards for medicine and food. Hubby just got a letter from Social Security saying they, accident over payed him last year so next month he won't get his Social Security check, so here we go again using a credit card for food. We do not have savings accounts and we make slightly over the amount to qualify for assistence.

My issue is that I personally know of immigrants who are having child after child, ( my neighbors daughter is just one example, she is married to an illegal) and travels constantly to and from their native Country, vacations in places I can only dream of, are always eating out at nice restaurants, buying Coach sunglasses, lol, and these girl never fail to have their hair and nails done. Their little children have to have designer tennis shoes. What are we doing wrong? When elderly people such as me hubby who have worked two jobs most of their lives to make ends meet and then we see so many times this kind of abuse, over and over. My BFF since childhood was a school teacher who was terminally ill with brain, bone and breast cancer and I was told by Meals On Wheels she had an 18 month waiting period for food. She didn't live long enough to get those meals. We would dig in the bottom of our purses to get enough change to pay for gasoline for me to take her to chemo and doctor appointments for 2 years. She had to file bankruptcy and lost her home. We have always been productive people in society, when we were young we were the first to volunteer to help our community, she always voted Democrat and I continue to vote Republican simply because if you are able to have 5 children, travel, eat out, and are constantly spending money like water, you don't need to be on assistence. The system is broken when a terminally women in her 60's cannot get Meals on Wheels but an unemployed woman married to an illegal immigrant with a number of children has $30.00 to not only get their nails done every two weeks, but throw in a pedicure at another $35.00, and nail care is peanuts compared to keeping up with hair.

I am not a hater, I grew up poor, but my kind of poor is not the kind of poor I see these days with designer purses. I just don't understand what us senior citizens are doing wrong. Even by voting for Barack Obama, my friend lost everything and qualified for nothing.

Last edited by Bayou Queen; 07-25-2017 at 11:24 AM..

Old 07-25-2017, 06:22 PM
Status: "Moldy Tater Gangrene, even before Moscow Marge." (set 2 days ago)

5,790 posts, read 3,600,682 times
Quoted because it bears repeating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuselage View Post
You should be aware that there are plenty of reasons why people emigrate - some of them may be economic or political in nature, others are much more personal and have nothing to do with economic hardships or political oppression in one's homeland.

Alas, if your question purely applies to poorer nations, the reasons are, naturally, manifold. Sometimes, the economic outlook is simply too bleak and the factors at work are too overwhelming. For those who lack the proper education or financial resources, going elsewhere might seem like the logical and "easy" solution. Of course, "easy" isn't always what it seems from abroad and the reality, for many, is anything but easy.

However, even those who are highly educated and/or financially secure often find themselves with no other option but to leave. Thus, any person who does have ambition and drive might simply look at systemic road-block after road-block where they find themselves unable to battle an uncompromising and very complex system and a long-established inflexible culture. The result, in terms of the educated population, is what has been termed brain-drain.

I am an immigrant from a very wealthy industrialized "first world" nation. While my reasons for living in the US these days are certainly of a much more personal matter, my initial reasons for moving to the US had to do with a rather restrictive and intransigent educational system in my home country. I simply could not pursue my educational goals there. In the US, however, I was deemed "exceptional" and thus, received scholarships at some of the nation's best universities all the way from my undergraduate studies to the dissertation process. At home, I was blocked from just about anything...

Thus, the established system cost my home nation a potentially valuable member. The US, being far more flexible and supportive, gained a highly educated and highly skilled resident.

Will I go back "home?" I don't think so - they didn't want what I had to offer when I was young and after some 30 years of being away, the system is still rather stuck in the past. My home country is unwilling to change that system, even though the brain-drain problem has long been recognized. Thus, I would rather repay the nation that enabled me to pursue my goals. I also certainly would like my children to have access to opportunity, rather than experience hindrances throughout their lives.
And this from a "wealthy industrialize first world country" who (presumably) did not suffer from the slightest bit of political or social persecution - or war / large scale civil disorder. It gets worse when any of those other factors are in place. Being unresponsive to the needs of your own people (economic or socio-cultural) is a great way to motivate people to move somewhere else - and take with them their talents, education, ideas, job experience, etc. that creates economic growth / political and social stability.

Old 08-04-2017, 10:53 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,356,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Collective View Post
Schroedinger's immigrant: lives off welfare while not working AND takes all the jobs at the same time.
Rubbish. In the US, green card holders aren't eligible for benefits until they are resident for 5 years.

Old 08-05-2017, 05:50 PM

6,421 posts, read 7,668,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Collective View Post
Hopefully, great change is on the way. We need to clean things up and the sooner the better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration