Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2013, 07:30 AM

2 posts, read 8,178 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I know there have been posts like this one already but I'd love to hear your advice anyway.

I'm a 25 years old German who lived for 8 months in the States two years ago and loved it. I wanted to come back ever since, even asked my old employer if there are job opportunities (I was only there for a project, temporary contract) but there weren't.

I've been living in several other countries ever since and really have a great CV- Lived and worked in 4 different countries, have almost 2 years work experience in marketing for large companies, speak German, English and Spanish fluently and have a Master's degree in international business management.

I know that it's not easy at all to get a visa to work in the US. Sending CVs from where I live now doesn't make much sense, employers cannot even interview me. So I've been thinking if I should take my chance and move back to the States with a tourist visa and try to find a job from there.

What do you think? Is that doable or totally unrealistic?
And is it the same difficult situation in Canada?

Thanks a lot!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2013, 07:50 AM

442 posts, read 800,385 times
Yeah, no.

Old 06-06-2013, 11:19 AM

8,452 posts, read 15,038,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by serafina88 View Post
Sending CVs from where I live now doesn't make much sense, employers cannot even interview me.
Why can't you interview by Skype?

Old 06-06-2013, 11:44 AM

983 posts, read 1,634,242 times
Quote:
Hi,

I know there have been posts like this one already but I'd love to hear your advice anyway.

I'm a 25 years old German who lived for 8 months in the States two years ago and loved it. I wanted to come back ever since, even asked my old employer if there are job opportunities (I was only there for a project, temporary contract) but there weren't.

I've been living in several other countries ever since and really have a great CV- Lived and worked in 4 different countries, have almost 2 years work experience in marketing for large companies, speak German, English and Spanish fluently and have a Master's degree in international business management.

I know that it's not easy at all to get a visa to work in the US. Sending CVs from where I live now doesn't make much sense, employers cannot even interview me. So I've been thinking if I should take my chance and move back to the States with a tourist visa and try to find a job from there.

Thanks a lot!
Would be generally doable, but the visa you need is an H1B, and its quota has been filled up for the 2014 fiscal year. Your earliest start date on an H1B is October 2014, and that's if you have an offer and they apply before April 2014 and your case is approved.

You could try getting a role in an international company with presence in both the US of A and Germany, and look for an opportunity for a move. In that case they can do a transfer and it's not that tough (although the transfer category -L1B- has been getting more scrutiny lately)

Old 06-06-2013, 03:24 PM

4,204 posts, read 4,687,965 times
Look at German companies which have offices in US.

Old 06-06-2013, 06:10 PM

4,120 posts, read 6,607,040 times
Ever think about grad school? This is the way a lot of professional people immigrate to the us.

Old 06-06-2013, 10:04 PM

1,122 posts, read 3,505,022 times
Quote:
Hi,

Thanks a lot!
Well, technically doing so would be illegal. A tourist visa is intended for tourists who plan to visit and leave. Your intentions when coming on a tourist visa has to be to visit only. If your intentions are to immigrate you would be committing immigration fraud. However, it is allowed to change your mind about your visit while here so technically you could come with the intention to visit but change your mind during the visit and decide to change visa status. But I can assure you that if you show up at the airport with all your belongings ready to move you'll have a problem.

You may want to find out what your chances are for securing a work visa if you do get a job. Are you shooting for a non-immigrant work visa or are you shooting for a work based green card?

I think moving to another country without a job, no guarantee of finding a job or even getting a visa if you do would be a very bad idea. Visiting for a while to check out the job market may be a better idea. You can always leave and come back if you do land a job.

I'm not that familiar with Canadian immigration law but I do know that it's much easier to immigrate to Canada, especially if you work in a field that is needed there.

FYI, If you are planning to use the Visa Waiver Program you can't change status while in the country. You would be required to leave after 90 days. The only exception is if you apply for a green card as an immediate relative of a US citizens, such as a spouse.
To be able to change status you have to apply for a B visa.

Last edited by Lizita; 06-06-2013 at 10:13 PM..

Old 06-07-2013, 09:25 AM

938 posts, read 1,514,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellhead View Post
Ever think about grad school? This is the way a lot of professional people immigrate to the us.
You can't legally immigrate that way. However once in the U.S., international students might make connections that eventually lead to a company or loved one sponsoring them for a green card.

Old 06-08-2013, 09:41 AM

4,120 posts, read 6,607,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usuario View Post
You can't legally immigrate that way. However once in the U.S., international students might make connections that eventually lead to a company or loved one sponsoring them for a green card.
No, you get a student visa which is good while you are in grad school, if you pursue a phd this may take 5 to 8 years to complete. Once here you will 95% of the time make the connection to a job or spouse which allows you to immigrate legally. My wife did a Phd and over half of the students in multiple programs are foreigners.

Old 06-09-2013, 04:33 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,217,006 times
OP is advocating fraud when entering the US.

A criminal offense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration