Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2013, 07:10 AM

983 posts, read 1,634,901 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by candycanechick View Post

First off, hiring a college grad process need to change. For example, Intel has a rotation program that one needs a 3.0-3.5 GPA to get into. The get visas for college grads that have these GPAs instead of hiring someone with a 2.8-3.4 GPA from the same University. That doesn't sound like a short supply of workers. That sounds like an unnecessary weeding out process.
When you are competing with Samsung, Qualcomm, the Chinese folk (ZTE, Huaweii) you want the best workers you can get, not some guy who will do a so-so job (like the one he did in college).

If Intel could not get them here, they would get them somewhere else. You can only coerce a company so much.

You chose a bad example, because Intel is one of the companies that are actually hiring very bright engineers, American or not.

You should be directing your rage at Tata Consulting, TCS, Wipro, Cognizant, among others, who are filling their ranks with not very bright "consultants" who are placed in banks, insurers and other companies to do job that a more regular folks with a 2.8 GPA from a subpar university could.

I think whatever comes out in immigration reform, it must include a way to keep these companies in check.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2013, 07:23 AM

893 posts, read 1,207,601 times
It's never time to stop immigration. Immigration is a basic human right - to live (and work) where ever you want.

If people (aka Americans) can't find jobs, THEY should be the ones who emigrate. Move somewhere else. They shouldn't get a hand out just because they (well, their distant families) happened to move here earlier than someone else.

This is part of why the economy is failing and the unemployment rate is too high - people who can't find jobs in their ****ty little "small town USAs" don't pack up and leave, they just stay there and collect welfare and complain that "I can't find work because of immigration" even though if they were to participate in immigration (aka they emigrate themselves to somewhere else), they would be able to find work and a better life too.

Old 07-03-2013, 07:24 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,224,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlittlepig View Post
let's see the evidence for this, i don't think it exists.
Illegal Aliens in Federal, State, and Local Criminal Justice Systems: Summary

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/05/30/bu...0leonside.html

How does illegal immigration affect the US prison system? - Illegal Immigration - ProCon.org

Yes it does exist and ut gets worse every year.
Report: Illegal Aliens Released by Federal Gov’t Committed 19 Murders, 142 Sex Crimes | TheBlaze.com
I know because it didn't happen to you it doesn't count right?

Old 07-03-2013, 09:38 AM

8,016 posts, read 5,861,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atai J. View Post
There is only one way to do that.
I mean, a passport control everywhere - on the streets, in the schools, shops etc.
Are you ready for this?
There are several ways to accomplish what I set out, not just with "a passport control everywhere".

Secure the border, and enforce the rules. People that are here illegally should not be entitled to benefits. And employers that employ illegals should be fined.

It's amazing that ANY taxpayer would be in favor of anything less than enforcement of the rules. It just costs you money in the long run.

Old 07-03-2013, 11:01 AM

6,904 posts, read 7,607,055 times
Enjoy your time in University, JoulesMSU. Then when you graduate, if you graduate, come and explore reality. It's pretty enlightening!

Old 07-03-2013, 11:44 AM

444 posts, read 820,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Collective View Post
When you are competing with Samsung, Qualcomm, the Chinese folk (ZTE, Huaweii) you want the best workers you can get, not some guy who will do a so-so job (like the one he did in college).

If Intel could not get them here, they would get them somewhere else. You can only coerce a company so much.

You chose a bad example, because Intel is one of the companies that are actually hiring very bright engineers, American or not.

You should be directing your rage at Tata Consulting, TCS, Wipro, Cognizant, among others, who are filling their ranks with not very bright "consultants" who are placed in banks, insurers and other companies to do job that a more regular folks with a 2.8 GPA from a subpar university could.

I think whatever comes out in immigration reform, it must include a way to keep these companies in check.
American students have faced a really difficult 5 (or more years). I think that there are many very bright, hard working American students that this GPA cut off hurt. Like the ones who work to (try to) pay for college, or the ones whose parents lost their homes. Companies like Google have already demonstrated that there is no correlation between GPA and employee quality. Seconds, Intel has many engineers in the sales force (I don't think you have to be the “brightest“ to be a sales man).

There are a lot of issues with visa workers, and I agree the gov should keep them in check. BUT, they don't.

I will have to research it more, but someone told me some companies are starting to not hire visa engineers because their work is subpar, and creates flawed products. A company I used to work for stopped hiring visas for this very reason. Has anyone else heard anything about this?

There is a problem with companies making difficult job descriptions just to prove they can't find workers tho.

Old 07-03-2013, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoulesMSU View Post
It's never time to stop immigration. Immigration is a basic human right - to live (and work) where ever you want.

If people (aka Americans) can't find jobs, THEY should be the ones who emigrate. Move somewhere else. They shouldn't get a hand out just because they (well, their distant families) happened to move here earlier than someone else.

This is part of why the economy is failing and the unemployment rate is too high - people who can't find jobs in their ****ty little "small town USAs" don't pack up and leave, they just stay there and collect welfare and complain that "I can't find work because of immigration" even though if they were to participate in immigration (aka they emigrate themselves to somewhere else), they would be able to find work and a better life too.
This is easier said than done, isn't it? I'm not sure but I've heard it is difficult to get sponsorship in other countries. Do you know of any countries it's easy to move to?

Old 07-03-2013, 11:56 AM

What would be the impact of Mexico becoming a state? Would that be a better/worse solution? Since Mexicans want to be here so bad, why don't they try to become a state?

Old 07-03-2013, 12:29 PM

5,299 posts, read 4,848,445 times
Quote:
What would be the impact of Mexico becoming a state? Would that be a better/worse solution? Since Mexicans want to be here so bad, why don't they try to become a state?
And you were the one talking about "stereo types"...

Old 07-03-2013, 12:44 PM

983 posts, read 1,634,901 times
Quote:
False assumption.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration