Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should the US increase the number and "loosen" regulations on H-1B visas?
Yes 11 47.83%
No 12 52.17%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2013, 11:30 PM

444 posts, read 821,225 times

Advertisements

Lately, I've been finding a lot of articles like this one:

To Create Jobs, Streamline The Issuance Of Visas - Forbes

Now, what gets me is that this particular article is to support increasing the number of visas, and remove some of the existing regulations to obtain a visa. There are many, many articles about how America needs to let more foreigners come to work in America at companies on US soil.

What's interesting here is that 90% of the comments of these articles disagree with Americans needing more H-1B visa workers. I have spent a good amount of time looking for a petition or an organization disagreeing with immigration reform (other than BALA)*, and they seem pretty hard to find. Every petition, or organization against H-1B visas seem to have very low traffic/signatures.

for example:
MoveOn Petitions - Stop H1B Visa holders taking American IT jobs
http://www.thepetitionsite.com/1/add...american-jobs/

(If you know of any other petitions sites please link them)

What's going on? Why are all of these articles getting so many comments against visas, but yet there is a blizzard of of articles being produced supporting increasing the visas and petitions against the visas are not getting any signatures?

I would like to also add:
http://www.brightfuturejobs.com/the_secret
http://www.brightfuturejobs.com/jp_m...aware_new_york
http://www.cs.ucdavis.edu/~matloff/h1b.html

*I'm excluding BALA because they are working towards controlling the number of Mexicans, not H-1B.

Last edited by candycanechick; 07-04-2013 at 11:44 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2013, 12:17 AM

4,120 posts, read 6,619,305 times
When 1/2 of all 1Hb's go to a few contracting companies, it shows the program is a total scam.

Old 07-05-2013, 06:01 PM

4,204 posts, read 4,700,576 times
In case of H-1B visa, I would like to say that it is not only for IT workers. People from other fields like Chemical Engineers or Agriculture scientist can also be employed on H-1B visa. Outside IT, there is extreme reluctance by American employers to hire foreigners on H-1B visa. Big corporations like Oil companies or civil engineering companies clearly ask in their online applications whether a candidate will need H-1B visa sponsorship and they do not shortlist such candidates for interview. H-1B visa is heavily used in IT field. One reason is that IT companies based in India file these visas from India and then they send candidates on client sites. Third party employment is a rampant practise in IT field to keep costs low.

Old 07-05-2013, 09:21 PM

444 posts, read 821,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munna21977 View Post
Outside IT, there is extreme reluctance by American employers to hire foreigners on H-1B visa. Big corporations like Oil companies or civil engineering companies clearly ask in their online applications whether a candidate will need H-1B visa sponsorship and they do not shortlist such candidates for interview.
Do you think it's reluctance, or that the visas are "used up" by the IT industry so quickly?

Old 07-06-2013, 05:19 AM

4,204 posts, read 4,700,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by candycanechick View Post
Do you think it's reluctance, or that the visas are "used up" by the IT industry so quickly?
I would say "reluctance". Based on experience of many close friends. Non IT Companies do not like extra burder of 5-6 K in H-1B visa filing and attorney fees so they avoid foreigners. very rarely you will see any Mechanical Engineer foreigner employed in USA on H-1B visa. But in IT field, it is different. It is Indian IT corporations like TCS, Wipro, Infosys who are bearing the burden of visa fees and they figure it out in their business model and pass the price on to client side. IT industry is so much into third party employment.

Old 07-08-2013, 11:23 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,335,054 times
We need to eliminate the H1B visa program. We do not need these people; the skills gap is a myth.

Old 07-08-2013, 01:23 PM

983 posts, read 1,637,253 times
They need to get the IT consulting house in order. Too many stories of illegalities like employees not paid if not in a project, employees hired in Iowa at Iowa's prevailing wage but sent to NYC for an indefinite amount of time, employees asked to find themselves a project and give the company a % in exchange for the visa, and plenty other examples.

Old 07-11-2013, 10:53 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,906,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
We need to eliminate the H1B visa program. We do not need these people; the skills gap is a myth.
Very true. I know many skilled workers who have been unemployed due to this program.

Old 07-11-2013, 11:37 PM

6,326 posts, read 6,605,177 times
It's fairly easy to get an H-1B if you work at a national lab or something of that sort. They must have expedited, virtually automatic processing (with no quota?) just for that, since application processing is so fast and success is assured. Mind you, you don't have to be an Einstein to get it. Most of the low level postdocs at the National Labs who do mostly routine lab work (instead of HS educated technicians they replaced) get H-1B without much of a wait.

Old 07-11-2013, 11:40 PM

752 posts, read 1,166,532 times
I work like general contractors for house flippers and come in contact with all races and nations. Indians are totally ungifted for technique. I can't care less for paper that they are engineers, it is no way that they know theirs job. Maybe IT is different but I'm sure that any real industry do not want see them close. As they are laughing stock in construction industry I’m 100% sure it is same in auto industry, pharmaceutical etc. IT is snake oil profession.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration