Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2014, 06:26 PM

6 posts, read 6,866 times

Advertisements

I'm a nuclear engineer with almost 10 years experience, and I'm looking to move to South Carolina. I have no idea what I need to get in order, what papers I need, or if it is even possible. I've read in a few threads that to get sponsored by a business, they have to prove that an American could not do the same job? Is it really hard to get in?

Right now, the nuclear industry is in need of more engineers, because a lot of the older engineers are retiring and the demographics are pretty skewed towards the baby boomers. However, will it still be hard for me to get into the US?

If I did get in, would my wife be able to find work? She has a college diploma for Bylaw, police foundations, but she would probably take a job anywhere if she was allowed to.

What is the best way for us to get in?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2014, 06:51 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,050,766 times
Look for nuclear plants in Illinois---that's the state with the most facilities.

Old 04-03-2014, 07:09 PM

Most of our driver for going down there is to get out of the cold. I'd want to be a lot farther south than Illinois. We were looking at Florida, but I want really safe rural area with good schools to raise my kids, as well as being able to get nice houses on a bit of land. So far SC is the best we've found that matches everything.

Regardless of where we go, I suppose any info on the chances of getting in would be appreciated though

Old 04-04-2014, 04:36 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,724,101 times
Go to the first "sticky" on this page which says, "US Immigration Links" and go to the USCIS website. This will give you all the information you need. Good luck!

Old 04-04-2014, 11:22 AM

7,103 posts, read 5,989,018 times
Here's the link to the USCIS in Charleston, SC

South Carolina - Charleston Field Office | USCIS

Old 04-04-2014, 11:50 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,724,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseManOnceSaid View Post
Here's the link to the USCIS in Charleston, SC

South Carolina - Charleston Field Office | USCIS
Sorry, but that link won't help him. He needs to go to the main USCIS link. Only if he lives in the US and the application forms he's filling out specifically direct him to file them at a local Field Office is their role applicable.

Old 04-04-2014, 04:40 PM

2,028 posts, read 5,431,626 times
Have you visited SC? I don't know Canada apart from visiting, but the Carolinas might be a bit of a culture shock for you. Plus-and I know you want to get away from the cold-it will be VERY humid in the Summer.Guess you know this if you considered Florida.

Old 04-05-2014, 03:39 PM

Being on the lake, we actually hit 90 in the summer with humidity making it feel like 120. The area that we are in right now, is extreme cold then extreme heat. Most people don't realize how hot it gets near Toronto, just because of humidity from the lakes.

Culture shock could be very real though. My wife and I are Catholic, but we aren't evangelical. I actually find a lot of super religious people up will go to Church, then flip you off in the parking lot.

I'm looking for a place with good solid, salt-of-the-earth people.

Old 04-05-2014, 10:37 PM

2,361 posts, read 2,539,138 times
My son is an engineer at the "local" (about 35 miles away) nuclear plant, and he's had to undergo some rigorous security checks just to get the job, and he's undergoing a more rigorous check to get his nuclear plant operator's license. I'll ask him if any foreign nationals who work there.

I'm assuming that there's a nuclear plant in South Carolina- I can't imagine an engineer getting even mildly interested without establishing that. It makes sense to contact their parent company and see if they can even hire foreign nationals and if so, what they have to go through. It's probably the employer who, if it wants you, will push the paperwork through on your behalf.

But you're right about lots of plant engineers retiring. Our son is moving up the management ladder far faster than his bosses did because of those vacancies. Not that he isn't smart (of course), but facts are facts.

Old 04-06-2014, 11:29 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,938,123 times
I would think that a Nuclear Engineer, being how hard it is to get a BS in Nuclear Engineering, would have a good chance of landing a job in the US. Not sure about South Carolina though. I'm an engineer, but not nuclear. I knew guys that majored in that while at school, and it is a very rigorous program.

Good luck. I would broaden the geographic region you are interested in.

Check this site out below. I just googled nuclear engineering jobs in Philly. A whole bunch came up for the area. Maybe you should check out what is available and then stop in a visit the companies.

BTW, even Philly with a Jan avg high/low of 40.3/25.5F would feel a lot warmer in winter than Toronto. I've been to Toronto in February and never felt cold like that in Philly.

http://www.careerbuilder.com/Jobs/Ph...clear-Engineer
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration