Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2014, 04:38 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,399,965 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Don't worry, not everyone is as negative as Jdawg
Not everyone is as honest or correct either

I'm not going to sit here and paint some perfect picture of a country that isnt
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2014, 06:41 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,525,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Not everyone is as honest or correct either

I'm not going to sit here and paint some perfect picture of a country that isnt
Honest? you only focus on the negative... didn't say you were wrong or anything, you are just a negative person and that's how you perceive things in life, not that its a bad thing its just how you are.. just letting the op know we are not all like that.

Those problems do exist but we also have very low taxes compared to the rest of the developed world, your money goes far in certain places, beautiful national parks, plus its very easy to find a job that offers health insurance... find healthy food... and a place tolerant of homosexuals.
you must live in some rural area in the great plains or something.

Old 04-30-2014, 05:44 AM

I am letting the OP know that if he thinks America is perfect, it isnt.

Not everyone feels the way I do but I have traveled all over the world and I much prefer Europe. America needs to wake the f up and take a look at the world around her.

Europe is beating us in almost everything - quality of life, productivity, education, happiness of its people.

No I dont live in a rural place. i'm just a realist and aware of what is going on elsewhere.

High Fructose corn syrup is banned in certain European countries and has a production quota in others - for a reason. It is in almost every single food in America and then we wonder why our cancer rates are so high! HCFS is killing Americans.

Old 04-30-2014, 06:10 AM

37 posts, read 106,639 times
Trust you get to move to Merica!. Numerous other incredible spots to live in California however then simply LA yet since you get a relative there its still a decent decision. Good fortunes!

Old 04-30-2014, 06:15 AM

1,180 posts, read 3,129,978 times
No place in the world is perfect. Since human beings a flawed so is every place and every thing we are connected with flawed. The grass is always greener on the other side; right up to the time you go there and discover it now looks greener on the side you left (which is now "the other side.")

I do plan to retire to Europe or Latin America due mainly to the more relaxed pace of life but I do not expect paradise without problems. That would be unrealistic.

And it would be unrealistic for the OP to expect paradise in the US. But he also should not expect Hell on Earth. That is also unrealistic. OP have you looked into any student exchange programs that offer a year abroad during the last years of High School? Or, when you visited your relatives did you talk to any colleges or universities while here?

Even if you can't come now, start researching Community (2 year) Colleges as well as the 4-Year ones in the LA area (since that's where your relatives live). Learn about their policies and admissions requirements for foreign students. learn whether or not your government would pay or assist in paying expenses. Learn what scholarships might be available for you. And so forth. Keep a record of all your information that you gather over the next year or two.

But, do not expect to get a football scholarship.. Chances of that are pretty slim to none. But once you get here and are in school, you could try out for the team and if you make it apply for an athletic scholarship and who knows? Anything is possible even if not probable.

Old 04-30-2014, 02:54 PM

89 posts, read 132,081 times
As I already said, I appreciate all your comments/suggestions/thoughts, positive and negatives one, but (to Jdawg) I believe every country has its pros and cons, Italy and Romania have pros and cons too, and every other country that I didn't live in. I still believe there is something about the USA that I love and makes it different from every other country in the world. I've also visited other countries in my life such as Spain, Greece, and Germany, they look great but I never had the feeling of calling a place "home", nor Italy or Romania, this only happened in the USA, I just feel it's the right place, for me, not for everyone, but for me.
@UKDriven: Thank you for your comment
@skelaki: I'm already doing my research on the Internet but I should ask my relatives to ask around since they live there. Thanks for the great idea

Old 04-30-2014, 04:06 PM

Quote:
I am letting the OP know that if he thinks America is perfect, it isnt.

Not everyone feels the way I do but I have traveled all over the world and I much prefer Europe. America needs to wake the f up and take a look at the world around her.

Europe is beating us in almost everything - quality of life, productivity, education, happiness of its people.

No I dont live in a rural place. i'm just a realist and aware of what is going on elsewhere.

High Fructose corn syrup is banned in certain European countries and has a production quota in others - for a reason. It is in almost every single food in America and then we wonder why our cancer rates are so high! HCFS is killing Americans.
No they aren't, if you have high fructose corn syrup you won't get cancer... you'll be fine.

Old 04-30-2014, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
No they aren't, if you have high fructose corn syrup you won't get cancer... you'll be fine.
Yes they are actually. We are #1 in hardly anything.

America has pros but the problem is we keep touting ourselves as the "greatest country in the world." We are only ok.

Yes nowhere is perfect but I think people think America is all sorts of awesome and then come here and find it is only ok.

I do love the diversity here but that also kind of depends on where in America you live.

Old 04-30-2014, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Yes they are actually. We are #1 in hardly anything.

America has pros but the problem is we keep touting ourselves as the "greatest country in the world." We are only ok.

Yes nowhere is perfect but I think people think America is all sorts of awesome and then come here and find it is only ok.

I do love the diversity here but that also kind of depends on where in America you live.
Nobody here said we are the greatest country in the world..

Old 04-30-2014, 10:19 PM

168 posts, read 251,688 times
First I think it's so cool that in Europe people are playing football, one of my friends posted a video on facebook the other day of some French guys playing it, they looked just like any other high school team.

Don't really have any practical advice, I only knew personally one girl in my high school who did a semester in Germany, I don't think she had to pay a lot for it, or anything but I don't know, lol, sorry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration