Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2014, 07:50 PM

3 posts, read 12,933 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, my bf will be moving to Seattle to work for Amazon on a TN visa since he's an engineer. Does anyone know how I can get a work visa to work in Seattle in a Human Resources field? I have HR experience in Canada but would need to get a work visa before I can secure a job. Any advice would be appreciated.Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2014, 10:48 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,362,151 times
All those Canadians stealing our jerbs!

Since he is just your boyfriend, you cannot get a spouse visa & green card. That is, unless, you or he have plans for the future to get married. In which case it is the cheapest and fastest method to get into the country.

The other methods are to have any prospective employer fill out the paperwork for you, or invest a LOT of money in the USA to essentially start or expand a business in the USA and create jobs.

check out this website for more info:

Employment-Based Immigrant Visa

Is your boyfriend doing a temporary job or on a contract? If so you might be able to get a temporary working visa. If not, since you are in HR, I highly doubt you'd be able to find much if anything. Shouldn't stop you from trying though.

Working in the US | USCIS

Good luck!

Old 06-05-2014, 06:22 AM

Thanks for the info, much appreciated. Just the idea of being idle and not working doesn't appeal to me..so I may have to try to secure a position before joining him in Seattle...I would actually be giving up a secure Canadian federal government job in HR to move with him..

Actually, he was headhunted by Amazon, he wasn't looking and we had no plans to move to Seattle before he was lured by Amazon. We had just bought a place and living comfortably in the burbs before Amazon came along

Old 02-16-2015, 07:32 AM

1 posts, read 4,077 times
Hi SeattleboundOttawan, We're currently living in Ottawa and we're contemplating on pursuing a career with Amazon. How was your experience with the move, acquiring a work visa? My wife would also need to find a job in Seattle. She's an occupational therapist currently working in a hospital. We both have cushy jobs and living in a brand new house. It's scary to make this kind of move. I appreciate any help!

Carl

Old 02-16-2015, 10:13 AM

Hi Carl, I'd be happy to tell you about my personal experience. Hopefully it'll help you make à decision. If there's a way, you can pm me and I can send u my email address.

Old 02-17-2015, 06:19 AM

24,569 posts, read 10,869,900 times
Visas for Canadian and Mexican NAFTA Professional Workers

Canadians have these options but there is no "girl friend visa" besides co habitating partner B2.

Old 08-23-2015, 11:06 AM

1 posts, read 3,531 times
Hi,

Would either of you be willing to share how your move to Seattle and Amazon went? I'm in a similar position where I have an offer and need to decide if I should make the move.

How do you like Seattle? Amazon? Was the move the right choice now that you have been there a few months?

I have a pretty good job right now in Vancouver but Amazon sounds very appealing.

Sorry I tried sending a direct message but it didn't let me.

Thanks,
John

Old 08-29-2015, 01:11 AM

8,391 posts, read 7,646,246 times
Has your boyfriend read the recent New York Times article about the horrible work environment at Amazon?

If not, he should do so in order to be fully informed:
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/16/te...workplace.html

This is just me, but I would not quit a steady job working for the Canadian government to go to another country with a boyfriend who may or may not be there for long (again, read the article). I would at least want to be engaged to the person before giving up my career. Or perhaps I'd have a long distance relationship for a while until I saw how things panned out for my boyfriend in his new job, and where our relationship is headed.

But, I understand that everyone has to make their own decisions, so I wish you the best!

Old 08-29-2015, 05:41 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,226,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
Visas for Canadian and Mexican NAFTA Professional Workers

Canadians have these options but there is no "girl friend visa" besides co habitating partner B2.
And for no more than six months provided you are even admitted into the US with no job or ties to Canada.

Old 08-29-2015, 08:20 AM

24,569 posts, read 10,869,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
And for no more than six months provided you are even admitted into the US with no job or ties to Canada.
Cohabitation does not fall under the 180 day rule.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration