Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2017, 02:12 PM

4 posts, read 19,554 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the quick response bg7. Those stuffs were really running in mind for weeks and I've been looking for answers from everyone including the internet. Well I would really look up for the tests you're suggesting.
Thank you very much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2017, 11:08 AM

1,478 posts, read 1,512,946 times
There are a lot of kids that get held back a year, and almost always for reasons other than academic ability. You would not stand out at all.

Old 01-13-2017, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lbjen View Post
There are a lot of kids that get held back a year, and almost always for reasons other than academic ability. You would not stand out at all.

I am very willing to study here in the United States just as how I wanted to be with my family. I'd take the risks because education here is better than our country. I won't mind getting held back a year or not standing out at all, but it's better if I'm going to continue what I've started this school year. Well, I'd let it be in God's Will.👆

Old 01-13-2017, 02:31 PM

1,478 posts, read 1,512,946 times
It's better to spend the time making sure you can do as well as possible in all subjects, some you may not have studied before. Some you might do twice, but some will be all new. Your GPA is more important than whether you wasted a few months studying things over!

Old 01-13-2017, 02:38 PM

Thanks for the advice, I'll do my best tho.

Old 04-13-2017, 03:03 PM

1 posts, read 3,442 times
Hi, I'm a college student and my mom is planning to continue my studies in nevada. Is it possible that I can enroll to their universities with the same course I took here in the Philippines?

Old 06-04-2017, 08:43 AM

1 posts, read 3,389 times
Hi im planning to transfer in Brent International School(eslr-s) here in Philippines, however im about to finish my 10th grade here in a private school that follows Philippine curriculum however senior high in Philippine has a something called "Apply subjects tracks" which adds focus to a specific selected track.
And i don't know the difference of both grade 11-12 system of Philippines and US, so im not sure if do i need to repeat grade 9/10 or i can Continue as A grade 11?

Old 06-04-2017, 09:49 AM

1,449 posts, read 2,352,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kateyley View Post
Hi, I'm a college student and my mom is planning to continue my studies in nevada. Is it possible that I can enroll to their universities with the same course I took here in the Philippines?
you better have your mom transfer you to the US before you're 18. after that, it will be much harder and will take a lot longer for you to get in the US, especially if your mom is not yet a US citizen.

and for anyone planning to study in the US regardless of level (gradeschool, highschool, college), it's the receiving school that will determine what level you should be in when you start school. you can't just say "oh i already finished 11th grade in the philippines, so i should be in 12th grade here in the US." there is NO such reciprocity/equivalency of education between the US and philippines (including the fancy INTERNATIONAL schools). the philippines may have increased the gradeschool levels, but it does NOT automatically mean the level of education there will be considered equivalent to the level of education here in the US (even though you may have been an honor student, heck even the valedictorian). of course, if you did well in your philippine schooling or your "international" school may have some leverage on US subjects, it may help you a lot in the placement assessments, but no such guarantee. the receiving school will still do whatever is required to assess what level they deem as appropriate for you.

as for undergrad college applicants, you have to realize that getting into a US university is no small feat. it is very competitive. in the philippines, you may only have to contend with the entrance exams of the more prestigious colleges there, but in the US, they will also look at your extracurriculars, you will have to write an extensive essay as to why you should be a student in their school, and for certain degrees, will have to have some form of related experience (even for the associates degree of physical therapy and occupational therapy assistants, you'd have to show some time being spent working or volunteering in related fields such as being a rehab tech for a nursing home or rehab facility) before they will consider letting you enroll in their college/university. also, the US colleges/universities may not even consider your partial time spent in the philippine college as equivalent. they may even possibly ask you to take some highschool units to be considered undergrad college equivalent.

finances is another issue. your parents/mom should also have good finances to send you to a US university, as most of the native born US students incur a lot of student debt that they have to repay for several years or longer once they start working (if you get lucky to be able to start working with a decent pay right off college). in the philippines, if you did really well in highschool or your parents set up a college education fund when you were a baby, your college is partially funded by such scholarships/sponsorship. you won't have that option here in the US being a foreigner unless they see you as a really outstanding, prodigious student.

a PT friend of mine decided to let her daughter (already a green card holder through her mom) study PT in the philippines since it's much cheaper there than here. once the daughter graduates, the mom can then bring her over to the US for a transitional doctorate's degree, and start working as a PT once she passes her boards after completing the doctorate's degree.

Last edited by zilam98; 06-04-2017 at 10:27 AM..

Old 06-25-2017, 09:59 AM

1 posts, read 3,333 times
HI GUYS, I JUST WANTED TO ASK SOMETHING.
I'm a grade 12 senior high school student and my sister is in grade 11 and our parents are planning to transfer us in Virginia. I was wondering, are we going to repeat our previous grades?
Thank you for your answer. God Bless.

Old 06-26-2017, 05:30 PM

1,449 posts, read 2,352,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAIN SIA View Post
HI GUYS, I JUST WANTED TO ASK SOMETHING.
I'm a grade 12 senior high school student and my sister is in grade 11 and our parents are planning to transfer us in Virginia. I was wondering, are we going to repeat our previous grades?
Thank you for your answer. God Bless.
and if you didn't bother to read my post PRIOR to your post, you might just as well repeat your current grade level. i was having high expectations of students from back home philippines with the added gradeschool levels prior to highschool, but i guess attention to details and reading comprehension have not really improved with the added levels.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration