Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2015, 10:28 PM

29 posts, read 37,500 times

Advertisements

Hello! I am US citizen. I have friend who is very hardworking, responsible and have many other positive traits, but undocumented without driver's license. We want to go out of state for a weekend and rent a car. The hotel reservation and car will be under my name. I will be the driver all the time, which something that I wouldn't want. I plan to buy rental car insurance and I know that I will be fully covered, but don't know if the same applies to my friend.

Is it illegal to drive with an undocumented as a passenger? What implications could have the undocumented status for passenger insurance purposes? I will appreciate your answers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2015, 10:32 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,230,433 times
Call the department of Insurance and ask them, or when you rent the car tell them your friend is illegal and ask them if the insurance covers him, or better yet, call Immigration and ask them if it is illegal to have an Illegal person in your vehicle.
Be sure to provide them with your name, address, contact number and the same information about your friend.

Old 04-24-2015, 06:14 AM

24,521 posts, read 10,846,327 times
You may want to contact the rental company for details regarding their policies concerning passengers with illegal immigration status.

Old 04-24-2015, 11:15 AM

8,452 posts, read 15,039,467 times
In an accident, regardless of the insurance company policy, if your passenger gets injured he can always sue you personally, if he can't sue the insurance company.

Old 04-24-2015, 03:39 PM

25,957 posts, read 22,107,325 times
Since this is the "legal" immigration area of the forum, what documents is your friend missing? The friend should be able to get the documents from some governmental agency as long as the friend isn't here in the US illegally, thus an illegal immigrant.

I would be careful where I was traveling if I knowingly was transporting an illegal immigrant since some states are rather serious about the problem and if the vehicle is stopped by the police for some reason or if you are in an accident and the police show up................ I would just use a lot of caution since sympathy for illegals, which I am guessing you are talking about, is rather low at this point.

Old 04-24-2015, 03:46 PM

25,957 posts, read 22,107,325 times
Some info about transporting an illegal: Is it illegal to transport an undocumented immigrant within the U.S.? - Nolo.com

Old 04-26-2015, 09:25 PM

124 posts, read 141,893 times
It doesn't show your 'location' but if your friend can get to California, they are issuing drivers licenses to undocumented illegals. He/she only need to pay a hefty fee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration