Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2015, 03:01 PM

16,391 posts, read 31,031,241 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
That's what "expunged" means.
When a person applies to immigrate the the United States, a FBI background check is run. This means that even expunged records are pulled up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2015, 05:41 PM

832 posts, read 1,423,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
If memory does not fail me most questions are "have you been arrested" not "do you have a criminal record".
Aye.

The question is, "Have you ever been arrested?"

And the answer would be, "Yes."

Telling people to lie on their applications to the feds... not so good. Neither is claiming to have "misunderstood" because if they find that you did not misunderstand (and the question is simple enough that you actually do understand it, hence your post here and hence the wording of the question itself), that if you lie, you will have potentially rendered yourself inadmissible for making a material misrepresentation.

The bottom line is: Don't play cute. Just tell the truth.

Old 06-05-2015, 12:11 PM

3,563 posts, read 5,402,031 times
I'm not sure what the op means by "getting stamped"?! upon re-entry but I don't know a white male in California that wasn't "arrested" as what seemed to be a police introduction to the "hears a look; you don't want to be here full time" program.Ah, memories of the sixties and early seventies that can come back to haunt you.

What you want to see is official file closure. In some jurisdictions if charges are dropped you ask the judge to register your plea, so the same charge can't be resumed in the future. If not, it can come back on you if they get further evidence or for that matter, someone who is willing to purger themselves.

Since this is a green card question, I have to note upon receiving my FOI file Federally there was a pile of crap in there that wasn't even me, along with hard to follow notes and assumptions that were not disclosed at my Green Card hearing. So you can't assume anything on crossing the border as Border Security is under no obligation to even tell you why you're refused.
If you've had your Green Card over five years, now's the time to take citizenship and/or get legal advice, which fortunately down south USA doesn't cost anywhere near the coin we pay up here.

Last edited by thedwightguy; 06-05-2015 at 12:12 PM.. Reason: finish sentence
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration