Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2018, 08:42 PM

343 posts, read 306,931 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
It is even true if the mother is of unknown citizenship or illegally here. That's why little mexican girls come over here to have their babies. The birth in the United States qualifies them. Pretty soon birth before 5-10 years of coming here will be enough. The child will also have citizenship of mother's homeland and eventually has to pick one.
This is a joke or troll post, right?

The 'birthright citizenship' debate
Or you can keep both like me...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2018, 09:58 PM

2,301 posts, read 1,886,466 times
Yes and yes

Old 03-05-2018, 10:14 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,585,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
Nope! If you're born on U.S. soil you're a U.S. citizen. Honestly, I feel like there should be a law stating that if you're pregnant you need to go back to your home country by the 8th month so you can have your baby there. Instead, people find there way here via work or visiting and stay till they have their babies. Most don't pay anything to the hospitals either and guess who gets stuck paying for it? I have no issues with immigration, but I feel there are many loopholes that need to be closed.
H1B workers are college educated people in specialty occupations who for the most part earn well above the national average for middle class workers. They get benefits like medical insurance, just like other employees. You speak as if you think they're illegal immigrants. They are not. Many are recruited (not personally, but their specialty).

Old 03-05-2018, 10:17 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,585,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post
Those children would be US citizens by birth so the answer is YES, but it would be a very roundabout process to get the parents into the US via this method.

The way I understand it once that child is 18 they can sponsor their parents to immigrate to the US. For that to happen they (the 18 yr olds) would have to be in the US, file an affidavit of support, and pay immigration fees.

Affidavit of support would probably be the most difficult part because 18 year olds most likely do not have well paying jobs and that support lasts for 5 years. If the parents are of retirement age they would not have access to Medicare here unless they pay for it. So it probably wouldn't make sense to immigrate if their home country provides universal healthcare.

The real benefit in this situation for the US born children is they can obtain and maintain a US Passport. A US Passport will provide greater travel and potential employment opportunities than one from India, Bangladesh, Indonesia, etc.

A US citizen can remain outside of the US indefinitely, although they would be subject to US taxation, so if they became wealthy like Bill Gates in the future, the US will come looking for them and that tax money.
Their parents are already here, aren't they? They are H1B workers, college educated workers in a specialty field, well paid, often recruited by companies who need that specialty. Do they leave their kid here, when the job is over? With whom?

Old 03-05-2018, 10:48 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,483,449 times
I thought it was common knowledge that everyone born on US soil is automatically a citizen

Old 03-06-2018, 03:38 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,840,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
Their parents are already here, aren't they? They are H1B workers, college educated workers in a specialty field, well paid, often recruited by companies who need that specialty. Do they leave their kid here, when the job is over? With whom?
Yes. And often recruited to work at a lower salary than an American would garner for the same work.

Old 03-06-2018, 05:44 AM

11,582 posts, read 6,736,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
H1B workers are college educated people in specialty occupations who for the most part earn well above the national average for middle class workers. They get benefits like medical insurance, just like other employees. You speak as if you think they're illegal immigrants. They are not. Many are recruited (not personally, but their specialty).
Yep, taking good jobs away from qualified U.S. citizens!!

Old 03-06-2018, 05:54 AM

5,989 posts, read 6,781,844 times
Any person born on US soil, even if their mother vaulted herself over a border ten minutes before giving birth, is a US citizen. This is why there is a MANSION industry (as opposed to a "cottage" industry) of birth tourism - those who can afford to, entering US on a tourist visa, giving birth here, then returning home, having given their baby a birthday present of US citizenship. That is why you have US citizen jihadists from the Arab world, who were born here while their fathers were studying here, having brought along a wife, who did nothing here other than gestate while in purdah, then returned to the Arab world.

It's a real dilemma. On the one hand, it's totally wrong that people should be able to exploit our citizenship laws in this manner. On the other hand, consider the child. If he is born here, and his parent fails to file paperwork for him to obtain citizenship for him in the parent's country, he would be stateless! I can understand not automatically granting citizenship to people who were brought here as very young children, even as infants. They have citizenship in their country of birth. But if the kid was born here?

It's called "jus soli", meaning right of the soil, or birthright citizenship. Only the US and Canada, and about 30 mostly third world and Central/South American countries, grant citizenship in this way. Other countries use "jus sanguinis", citizenship by blood, meaning the child is granted citizenship based upon the parent's citizenship. And honestly, if I were a citizen of a third world country, and had the means to obtain a visitor's visa, I would absolutely take advantage of this and travel here to give birth. Who could blame people who do this?

Old 03-06-2018, 06:34 AM

2,077 posts, read 2,017,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asgardian View Post
That's just a sad law. I always thought that at least one of the parents needs to be a US citizen for the child to have us citizenship.
Why is it sad ? My husband came here at first with me having to sponsor him because really not many jobs ( or anyone BUT family ) are going to sponsor anyone these days. This was after 4 years living in Holland with him .
We had to wait 9 months for his green card . He now does what he did over there but over here so he no longer needs a sponsor at all . Our youngest chose to be dual citizen . She was born in Texas .
Alot of people here today are OK with just the green card . At our age paying the $700+ and studying for a test that will allow you to vote and go to war seems redundant . It's the only difference in our case. He's not interested in politics over here in the least and has already served in both the Dutch Army and Air Force.

Old 03-06-2018, 09:29 AM

5,104 posts, read 4,834,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
https://www.uscis.gov/i-134
The sponsor does not have to be the financially responsible party.
Why would someone who is not a relative sponsor someone elses family member ? That would be akin to co signing for a loan. Why open up yourself to a liability ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
https://www.uscis.gov/i-134
Co-sponsor of self-sponsor are options. Please post an official link pertaining to the source of fee for family based US immigration.
Fee schedule is here https://www.uscis.gov/forms/our-fees

Most likely they would use i-130 petition for alien relative which is $530

Also, depending on what country the immigrants are coming from there may be bio metrics fees, physical exam fees, and vaccination fees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration