Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2018, 01:15 PM

27,213 posts, read 46,724,071 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
Have them work their way up the food chain at DMV.
Is there a way to do that? I thought there was one way to go in and wait for your turn with the correct papers.

This couple has their own lawyer but most lawyers don't explain everything and just tell them that we will cross that bridge when that time is closer by. They have till September (if I'm correct) to get the drivers license renewed and going earlier may not add an extended time frame as often it goes for up to the date of the I-94 card/online letter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2018, 01:44 PM

24,476 posts, read 10,804,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
Is there a way to do that? I thought there was one way to go in and wait for your turn with the correct papers.

This couple has their own lawyer but most lawyers don't explain everything and just tell them that we will cross that bridge when that time is closer by. They have till September (if I'm correct) to get the drivers license renewed and going earlier may not add an extended time frame as often it goes for up to the date of the I-94 card/online letter.
Personal experience - you can smoke most immigration lawyers in a pipe. I94 is at this time their dead line.

Old 05-30-2018, 04:03 PM

297 posts, read 166,653 times
So, technically while waiting for green card the person is in some kind of legal limbo status. Not deportable but also not 100% legal either. Can't travel, can't drive, can't get a job etc etc... note how I mentioned drive there... It really depends on the state. Most states will require definitive proof of a legal status to issue a DL. If along with the AOS application, the EAD was filed, then once that arrives the person should technically get a DL that expires whenever the EAD expires. If not, then it would be pretty hard to convince the DMV people that the i-485 receipt, which itself says "This notice does not grant any benefits" is proof of some legal status in the USA.

Alternatively, if the person has a valid DL from their home country, they can drive in the US without much issue. Also, they should really become the text book definition of the safe driver.

Old 06-01-2018, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kukumjacka View Post
So, technically while waiting for green card the person is in some kind of legal limbo status. Not deportable but also not 100% legal either. Can't travel, can't drive, can't get a job etc etc... note how I mentioned drive there... It really depends on the state. Most states will require definitive proof of a legal status to issue a DL. If along with the AOS application, the EAD was filed, then once that arrives the person should technically get a DL that expires whenever the EAD expires. If not, then it would be pretty hard to convince the DMV people that the i-485 receipt, which itself says "This notice does not grant any benefits" is proof of some legal status in the USA.

Alternatively, if the person has a valid DL from their home country, they can drive in the US without much issue. Also, they should really become the text book definition of the safe driver.
According to a lawyer that gave advise for a different case in 2016, EAD cards are not acceptable in all states for drivers licenses. Some States allow it and some don't.

I didn't want to be the messenger of the news but was afraid what Threestep mentioned might be correct. No valid I-94 means no drivers license in Florida unless the law changed in Florida.

It is kind of weird that some States provide drivers licenses to illegals who are not held to the same conditions as legal aliens.

The people in question should have left and entered before they applied for AOS to make the time frame longer as right now USCIS processing time lines are extremely long.

For their category it is up to 17 months. Very sad that people who are legally waiting in line have to wait so long.

Can you imagine if they add illegals to the time line than it will become even longer or will they receive preference status?

Old 06-02-2018, 06:38 AM

4,204 posts, read 4,686,325 times
People on International Driving License are allowed to buy and drive cars for atleast 1 year or less depending on the date given on DL. I purchased my first car on International Driving License only in Texas and later on cleared Driving Test. If they can bring International Driving License from their home country, they can use it here.

Old 06-02-2018, 07:58 AM

15,427 posts, read 25,795,620 times
I want to point out that an International Drivers Permit (or License) is only valid if it is used with the original license from the other country. I had a friend who thought that all he needed was the International Driving Permit until a cop pulled him over and explained that it is not valid by itself.

Old 06-02-2018, 08:16 AM

24,476 posts, read 10,804,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munna21977 View Post
People on International Driving License are allowed to buy and drive cars for atleast 1 year or less depending on the date given on DL. I purchased my first car on International Driving License only in Texas and later on cleared Driving Test. If they can bring International Driving License from their home country, they can use it here.
You do not need a DL to purchase a vehicle. International DL is not a recognized DL but a translation and only a few states require it GA being one. You have to have a valid DL of your respective country and proof of legal residence. You were lucky in TX. Have wreck ....

Old 06-02-2018, 04:07 PM

4,204 posts, read 4,686,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
You do not need a DL to purchase a vehicle. International DL is not a recognized DL but a translation and only a few states require it GA being one. You have to have a valid DL of your respective country and proof of legal residence. You were lucky in TX. Have wreck ....

I carried my Passport, proof of Residence and native country DL too but was always under the impression that International Driving Permit is a must to drive as per the validity. It was valid for 1 year though.

AAA also issues International Driving License for Americans visiting abroad but I wonder how many people actually bother to get it nowadays.

Old 06-07-2018, 06:27 AM

15,427 posts, read 25,795,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munna21977 View Post
I carried my Passport, proof of Residence and native country DL too but was always under the impression that International Driving Permit is a must to drive as per the validity. It was valid for 1 year though.

AAA also issues International Driving License for Americans visiting abroad but I wonder how many people actually bother to get it nowadays.

I used to get it, but the police in the country we travel to most often told us we don't need it there. (Denmark). I still get one if going elsewhere.

Old 06-08-2018, 08:42 AM

I never used an International drivers license as within 2 weeks of arrival in US we took the drivers test and got our license.

I have a stack of cards if you count all the drivers licenses we had to pay for. Prior to 9/11 our drivers license was valid for 7 years and after 9/11 we had to get every year a new card due to changes that were made due to these muslim extremist that killed over 3000 people and made millions of peoples life change and restricted due to their actions.

I'm not sure if all insurances will accept International drivers licenses if people stay here more often. I have friends who travel in and out the country every few months and never had a green card and never had a visa other then the tourist visa that allows a three months stay in the US.

They renew their US drivers license every time they enter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration