Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you think the citizenship of a non-US born legal immigrant should be revoked if they committ a se
No 12 33.33%
Yes 24 66.67%
No Opinion/Not Sure 0 0%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 06:45 PM

3,309 posts, read 5,703,232 times

Advertisements

Do you think the citizenship of a non-US born legal immigrant should be revoked if they committ a serious crime ANYTIME during their life?

Personally I say yes. It will give them a reason to keep clean beyond recieving their citizenship as a lifelong vow to not committ crimes in order to keep their citizenship.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2008, 06:49 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,142,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocexpo View Post
Do you think the citizenship of a non-US born legal immigrant should be revoked if they committ a serious crime?
I believe that provision already exists-------naturalized citizens have had their citizenship revoked in the past, i.e. applicants lying about their past.

War crimes committed during WW II are a 'trip wire'.

Old 04-23-2008, 07:26 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,559,850 times
I can't say I agree with you. Other than the AzBear points, above, which mostly have to do with obtaining citizenship under false pretenses, to ME it seems that revoking citizenship, even for a felony, somehow serves to trivilize it.
The entire CONCEPT of citizenship is already under severe 'strain'...just read many immigration posts. We're constantly told citizenship "isn't important"..but I disagree.

To me, citizenship is a solemn privilege...somewhat on the order of marriage. Once we 'screen you', and you're accepted, you should be 'one of us"...if that turns out BAD, then it's "us" who should punish you...not some other nation.

I just don't like the 'sound' of 'dumping felons'....Don't get me wrong..I'd like to send ALL felons, particularly violent ones, far away. But "our" felons are "our" responsibility. To say otherwise, I think, is to cheapen the whole idea of citizenship.

Old 04-23-2008, 09:23 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,716,559 times
Maybe it should depend on the crime. Such as -- if they were involved in some crime that involved the country they belonged to before, such as someone who became a citizens, smuggling drugs from Mexico, then I think it would seem that they had ulterior motives in gaining citizenship.

Or someone from an unfriendly country that was up to some kind of crime here that would benefit their homeland and hurt the USA or Americans. And of course any crimes like welfare fraud should get them the boot.

Old 04-23-2008, 09:40 PM

1,281 posts, read 2,368,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
To me, citizenship is a solemn privilege...somewhat on the order of marriage. Once we 'screen you', and you're accepted, you should be 'one of us"...if that turns out BAD, then it's "us" who should punish you...not some other nation. .
I have to agree with this. Once you've been screened and the information you provided was truthful and accurate, then you are a citizen with all the privileges that go with it and we, the US, has to accept whatever crimes you commit and deal with it here.

But with regards to what AB states I agree too, if you became a citizen based on false, misleading, inaccurate, or incomplete information, then I think citizenship can be revoked.

Old 04-23-2008, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madicarus2000 View Post
I have to agree with this. Once you've been screened and the information you provided was truthful and accurate, then you are a citizen with all the privileges that go with it and we, the US, has to accept whatever crimes you commit and deal with it here.

But with regards to what AB states I agree too, if you became a citizen based on false, misleading, inaccurate, or incomplete information, then I think citizenship can be revoked.
John Demjanjuk - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Textbook example

Old 04-23-2008, 09:53 PM

3,414 posts, read 7,145,328 times
I think once you've been accepted as a citizen you are treated like all other citizens. If there are separate rules for you then you are really a 2nd class citizen. It will be like Blacks in the Jim Crow South. Always having to walk on eggshells, always aware that there are separate rules for you. Always being a 2nd class citizen. That would be so awful and unjust.

Old 04-23-2008, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laysayfair View Post
I think once you've been accepted as a citizen you are treated like all other citizens. If there are separate rules for you then you are really a 2nd class citizen. It will be like Blacks in the Jim Crow South. Always having to walk on eggshells, always aware that there are separate rules for you. Always being a 2nd class citizen. That would be so awful and unjust.
Not true.

A naturalized US citizen can not be President or Vice President of the USA.

Old 04-23-2008, 10:02 PM

3,309 posts, read 5,703,232 times
I dont think this is like that. What about all those gang members. We could get rid of them and send them back where they were born. Yeah, maybe its not fair to countries like Mexico, but they haven't been exactly fair with us over the past about immigration. Also, why do we suddenly care so much about whether a criminals citizenship is revoked? If they committ a serious crime, why shouldn't we send them back to where they were born.

Old 04-23-2008, 10:14 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,559,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocexpo View Post
I dont think this is like that. What about all those gang members. We could get rid of them and send them back where they were born. Yeah, maybe its not fair to countries like Mexico, but they haven't been exactly fair with us over the past about immigration. Also, why do we suddenly care so much about whether a criminals citizenship is revoked? If they committ a serious crime, why shouldn't we send them back to where they were born.
I understand your point. I'd hope that MOST gang-bangers are never accepted for citizenship in the first place, at least not when they're in a gang. THose who got in in early childhood, IMHO, are "our" problem..they're Americans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration