Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2023, 10:12 AM

4,022 posts, read 1,874,326 times

Advertisements

and we still have NO national health plan in the USA. Idiots.

Bit off topic, sure, but you brought it up...Germany has a helluva lot higher taxes than the USA too - and that's how the "national" health care is paid for. And taxes are ALSO at the top of the priorities...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2023, 12:35 PM

4,859 posts, read 451,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roodd279 View Post
and we still have NO national health plan in the USA. Idiots.

Bit off topic, sure, but you brought it up...Germany has a helluva lot higher taxes than the USA too - and that's how the "national" health care is paid for. And taxes are ALSO at the top of the priorities...
Certainly. It must be paid for. But to do it collectively is the way to go, rather than an individual mandate which still leaves anyone at risk of financial ruin when a big medical expense comes along. On this score, the USA is suck-ass.

Old 05-21-2023, 01:50 PM

2,873 posts, read 2,059,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
K1
She stays in Germany, you petition, she comes to the US when the petition is approved, you marry asap, you file adjustment of status immediately after marriage and EAD. It takes as long as it takes and there is really no telling. Have her use the waiting period to take care of medical/dental necessities. She has to deal with medical insurance, existing contracts and German retirement.

CR1
You get married and it does not matter where, she goes through interview/medical in Germany, she has a Green Card stamp at entry and can work. Her German items are the same.

Spontaneous Marriage while in the US on WVP
Lots of declines, most based on not being really spontaneous.

Adjusting status as spouse after recent marriage
Best of luck

Travel.state.gov gives good timelines and actual flow charts.
We did option 2. Married in Brazil, started the process there. In 60 days, she had her interview and the next days, she was given a sealed envelope to present to customs upon arrival. Easy/peasy. She had a letter stating she could work, green card arrived 15 days later.

Old 08-27-2023, 04:01 PM

13 posts, read 7,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k7baixo View Post
We did option 2. Married in Brazil, started the process there. In 60 days, she had her interview and the next days, she was given a sealed envelope to present to customs upon arrival. Easy/peasy. She had a letter stating she could work, green card arrived 15 days later.
Can you please elaborate on the process? Are you saying that it only took 60 days+a few more days before she was given a sealed envelope and was able to enter the U.S.?

Old 08-27-2023, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L00k4ward View Post
Congratulations!
Do you both prefer to live in US?
(It could be better to raise the family in Germany )
Then marry in Germany, translate the married document by certified translator accepted by US Justice department into English - Apostile it in Germany.

Let your wife fly into US, while here apply for petition for relative i-130 using the marriage Apostile and a permission/parole to work here while waiting for green card

Does she drive?
I spent 2 months in Germany this summer and can say with absolute certainty that I can't imagine myself living there There are just so many things that I didn't like when compared to the U.S. I travelled Europe too and it's more or less the same everywhere.

Old 08-28-2023, 12:38 AM

5,761 posts, read 11,363,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceWalker1035 View Post
I spent 2 months in Germany this summer and can say with absolute certainty that I can't imagine myself living there There are just so many things that I didn't like when compared to the U.S. I travelled Europe too and it's more or less the same everywhere.
You are putting the cart before the horse with the proposal. Are you certain she wants to leave her family and lifelong friends in Germany to live with you permanently and forever in the USA? If she is an only child, her parents and grandparents will be hurt. If she has siblings, they will be miss her too.

Germany (like the US or anywhere else) has some good places to live, and some not so good places to live. If you spent 2 months in a not so good place, I can see how you might not like the idea of living in Germany. I'm a retiree from the USA who has been living in a nice place in Germany for most of the past 2 1/2 years. I suspect you don't speak fluent German, which is a major roadblock to making yourself feel comfortable living here. If I didn't speak fluent German, I would not like or be able to live here without issues.

Old 08-28-2023, 08:19 AM

24,493 posts, read 10,825,052 times
Quote:
Can you please elaborate on the process? Are you saying that it only took 60 days+a few more days before she was given a sealed envelope and was able to enter the U.S.?
Did you not have the same questions in May?
Go to travel.state.gov. It will wlk you through K1 and CR1, fiance and spouse, from soup to nuts. Current processing times are 12 months plus. Uscis.gov bulletins give historic and most current numbers.

Old 08-28-2023, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by recycled View Post
You are putting the cart before the horse with the proposal. Are you certain she wants to leave her family and lifelong friends in Germany to live with you permanently and forever in the USA? If she is an only child, her parents and grandparents will be hurt. If she has siblings, they will be miss her too.

Germany (like the US or anywhere else) has some good places to live, and some not so good places to live. If you spent 2 months in a not so good place, I can see how you might not like the idea of living in Germany. I'm a retiree from the USA who has been living in a nice place in Germany for most of the past 2 1/2 years. I suspect you don't speak fluent German, which is a major roadblock to making yourself feel comfortable living here. If I didn't speak fluent German, I would not like or be able to live here without issues.
Unfortunately, her parents already passed away and she doesn't have any siblings. She realizes that she will miss her friends, but they have their own families, kids, and personal lives too.

I stayed in Munich. And I don't speak German What do you like about the place where you live in Germany?

Old 08-28-2023, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
Did you not have the same questions in May?
Go to travel.state.gov. It will wlk you through K1 and CR1, fiance and spouse, from soup to nuts. Current processing times are 12 months plus. Uscis.gov bulletins give historic and most current numbers.
Yes, same questions. Travel.state.gov doesn't say if she could stay here while waiting for CR1 (she can stay in the U.S. legally for 90 days and can technically go to Canada or Mexico for a day or so to reset the counter). Also, USCIS doesn't have processing times for CR1 - only for I-130, which can be filed for someone living the U.S.

Old 08-28-2023, 11:03 AM

24,493 posts, read 10,825,052 times
Quote:
Yes, same questions. Travel.state.gov doesn't say if she could stay here while waiting for CR1 (she can stay in the U.S. legally for 90 days and can technically go to Canada or Mexico for a day or so to reset the counter). Also, USCIS doesn't have processing times for CR1 - only for I-130, which can be filed for someone living the U.S.

One at a time:

90 days in the US using ESTA
It is a gamble as it indicates no immigration intentions while having a Green Card application in process.

90 days in the US and reset via Mexico/Canada:
Canada/Mexico are not considered resets. Plus a return in less time than having been in the US raises a lot of red flags.

CR1
You get everything including your invitation for activation done in your country of domicile. Filing in the US is not for spouses.

K1
You travel to the US, get married within 90 days and file Adjustment of Status. Wait for EAD and Green Card.

Processing times
You need to do some legwork. I-130 is the big step.

Have you researched affidavit of support and how to get her on health insurance?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration