Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 10:59 AM

1,417 posts, read 1,159,871 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
How would this "suped" program differ from our current program; and who would enforce it? Would the offspring of these workers born on U.S. soil be classified as citizens?
I'm sure the local authorities could provide assistance in making sure these people go home. And I'm not talking about bringing in entire families, I'm talking about bringing people 18+, clean records, e.t.c. No citizenship, no residency, just a temporary visa to work in our country.

A man who sells christmas tree's in my town actually sponsors a Mexican national every year to help him with the harvest and sale of the christmas tree. He goes back home when the winter season is over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2008, 11:02 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,584,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorge Camargo View Post
So you do not believe America would shut down? Lets have a hypothetical scenario. If all illegals were booted then who do you think will do all the jobs no one else wants to do.... america is built on the backs of mexicans just as in the days of slavery
What world are you living in? How was this country "built" on the backs of Mexicans? News Flash: This country was thriving prior to the illegal alien invasion. They DID NOT build this country! We will do just fine without them.

Old 08-05-2008, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreabeth View Post
A well run (key words) work visa program can benefit a society. As long as both parties adhere to the rules agreed to. I have been employed overseas on a work visa. I worked in a country that had a shortage of workers in my specific field which benefitted that country and I was able to save alot more money than I would have been in the US. It was a win-win situation.
If we want to have a successful guest worker program that actually benefits the US, we will have to do these things (IMO):

1. The worker is here for a specific period of time and at the end of that time period, you leave. This is a business contract. You are here to do a job and when the job is done, you go home. After the electrician finishes rewiring my house, I do not expect to him and his family to move in. Nor should you expect to live here once your job or term of employment is complete.
2. You do not bring your family with you. We are hiring you, not your wife and kids. If they come along, any financial benefit we get from hiring you is negated by having to educate your kids, your wife getting pregnant with an anchor baby and so forth.
3. Men only. See above. The risk of anchor babies is and the endless costs that go with them is simply too great.

The fact that you have worked in the US does not entitle you to citizenship. A Merrill Lynch banker who has been working in London for 6 years would not expect the British government to grant him citizenship simply because he has been working there for 'a long time'. Neither should you.
This would indeed be a guest worker program we could live with.

Old 08-05-2008, 11:10 AM

4,803 posts, read 8,758,025 times
Quote:
So you do not believe America would shut down? Lets have a hypothetical scenario. If all illegals were booted then who do you think will do all the jobs no one else wants to do.... america is built on the backs of mexicans just as in the days of slavery
America is built on the backs of Americans.

Americans built the infrastructure of this country not Mexicans.

Slavery, a horrendously dark part of America's past, is just that--in the past. Post Civil War America, the industrialized America, was built upon the backs of Americans.

There is no such thing as a job that Americans will not do. I know--I've done many of those jobs illegal aliens now claim as their territory. What Americans will not do is work for wages which will not allow them to support their families. Illegal workers simply do not have the responsibilities of the average American worker, i.e.; a mortgage, home, health, and car insurance, car payments, college tuitions to pay, and all of the rest of the fun accoutrements which come from living a responsible, adult life as a citizen of this country. Illegal aliens pack themselves by the dozens into two bedroom apartments, use the local ER as their own private physician, don't bother with such inconvenient necessities as car insurance, send their doss back to the home country, and if their children are here, they are educated free of charge courtesy of the American taxpayer.

Anyone other than me notice the incongruencies of this situation?

Old 08-05-2008, 11:19 AM

60 posts, read 112,278 times
i completely agree with the argument you pose. but on the same token i speak for myself. the invasion has been so dramatical that it has impacted the infrasructure of our nation. they come here and do jobs for minimal pay... they also radically shook the economic state by the purchasing of homes with fake papers. 50% of the 120% increase of foreclosures are deemed to mexicans. once they get deported the house goes also. I agree work and go home. Men only. Most mexican women stay at home anyways to take care of the children they had while in us

Old 08-05-2008, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post
America is built on the backs of Americans.

Americans built the infrastructure of this country not Mexicans.

Slavery, a horrendously dark part of America's past, is just that--in the past. Post Civil War America, the industrialized America, was built upon the backs of Americans.

There is no such thing as a job that Americans will not do. I know--I've done many of those jobs illegal aliens now claim as their territory. What Americans will not do is work for wages which will not allow them to support their families. Illegal workers simply do not have the responsibilities of the average American worker, i.e.; a mortgage, home, health, and car insurance, car payments, college tuitions to pay, and all of the rest of the fun accoutrements which come from living a responsible, adult life as a citizen of this country. Illegal aliens pack themselves by the dozens into two bedroom apartments, use the local ER as their own private physician, don't bother with such inconvenient necessities as car insurance, send their doss back to the home country, and if their children are here, they are educated free of charge courtesy of the American taxpayer.

Anyone other than me notice the incongruencies of this situation?
Only those capable of logical thinking.

Old 08-05-2008, 11:28 AM

Quote:
i completely agree with the argument you pose. but on the same token i speak for myself. the invasion has been so dramatical that it has impacted the infrasructure of our nation. they come here and do jobs for minimal pay... they also radically shook the economic state by the purchasing of homes with fake papers. 50% of the 120% increase of foreclosures are deemed to mexicans. once they get deported the house goes also. I agree work and go home. Men only. Most mexican women stay at home anyways to take care of the children they had while in us
Would you care to expound on this? How would allowing them to remain in this country change the status of their ill-gotten foreclosed property?

Old 08-05-2008, 11:31 AM

1,417 posts, read 1,159,871 times
I'd like to see a source on that figure Jorge..

Old 08-05-2008, 11:32 AM

16,225 posts, read 27,473,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Would you care to expound on this? How would allowing them to remain in this country change the status of their ill-gotten foreclosed property?
He said that once they get deported, the house goes too. I guess the house has loyalties outside our borders as well. I'm now envisioning an exodus of illegals being deported, and they are all traveling back to Mexico with their houses in tow. Google satellite would get some great images!

Old 08-05-2008, 11:37 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,521,056 times
You know I really wish we could get a job fair together with all of these "jobs Americans won't do" and see just how many Americans would really show up these days, I think much of the crowd here on the internet who would do these jobs are from older generation.

Personally, I never understood why landscaping companies always seem to hire immigrants. When I was a child there were many Americans doing these jobs in Florida, shoot I did it. Now-a-days landscapers have drop-houses with 20 illegals living in it.

Does anyone have a study that shows Americans would line up to be landscapers these days?

How much would Americans want compared to what immigrants or illegals are getting? Is it really that big of a difference?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration