Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 02:53 PM

24,542 posts, read 10,869,900 times

Advertisements

Somewhere I lost the "how to quote"
@@@Nicola...
You do not have a right - you may be qualified. Small differences can be a big deal when it comes to applications and forms.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2010, 07:26 PM

28 posts, read 138,119 times
You're right of course. As i say before, i still learning.

Old 04-07-2012, 06:33 AM

1 posts, read 1,749 times
His question was quite direct. How he eventually immigrates or fare shouldn't exactly be anybody's problem.

Old 04-07-2012, 08:34 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I-ROCK View Post
His question was quite direct. How he eventually immigrates or fare shouldn't exactly be anybody's problem.
This is true and it's nice of you to pop in two years after the last post and add your opinion.

Old 12-08-2012, 12:13 PM

2 posts, read 3,200 times
I am a veterinarian Doctor I am planning to immigrate with my family to usa but I dont know which is best state to live and same time cheap for living,I deal with larg animals and I work in UAE ,please advise me.

Old 12-08-2012, 12:55 PM

1,279 posts, read 4,771,414 times
Any of the states with large dairy farms may suit, or Alaska I know is looking for vets if you can deal with the climate, would be quite a change.

Old 12-08-2012, 01:01 PM

1,449 posts, read 2,354,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sponger42 View Post
Michigan is a lot like the "old country" though probably a bit colder than Serbia. More like Slovakia.

Big cities are where you will find the most employment opportunities, serbian stores, a Serb support community and they are where you will go to do all your immigration paperwork/interviews/etc. You can live in most of the aformentioned US cities without a car (and therefore you won't need to worry about the major expenses of the vehicle, maintenence, insurance, and fuel.) In the cities, you'll find neighborhood markets, much more variety of goods, and you'll be able to haggle.

White or white-ish skin will help you out if you want to live in small town USA. Small town USA life is much different from life in the old country. You will almost certainly have to drive everywhere, you'll do almost all of your shopping at one gigantic superstore. You can find everything you need, but there's not much selection and there's no negotiating the prices. People in small towns can be welcoming and helpful, but they can also be xenophobic and ignorant. Because there are fewer people, you will notice these traits more--good or bad.

It is possible to live in small-or-medium-sized towns without a car, but you will have to spend a lot of time biking from place to place and some regions have seasonal bad weather (like snow) which will make this very difficult. Medium towns usually have a bus system, but don't expect to get anywhere fast or to be able to catch a bus after 20:00.

Small town and central USA has the advantage of being cheaper than the coastal regions.
indeed! couldnt emphasize this more. im asian and living in a relatively small town after having lived in austin TX for 1.5 year. some of my patients look at my skin/face and immediately tell me "im an american and can walk out of here whether you like it or not". i wish i looked caucasian even though i may be from a foreign country. my foreign caucasian counterparts at work certainly dont encounter as much trouble as i do with regard to prejudices/discrimination especially from patients. in fact, our patients are even enamoured by their accents and would tend to participate with them better.

looking caucasian certainly makes it easier to blend in with the locals and especially when it comes to border checks. my caucasian bf and i recently went on a road trip from texas to arizona and back. his presence certainly made it easier for us to go through the checks. if i were travelling alone, i would've been checked on more.

Old 12-09-2012, 11:18 AM

2 posts, read 3,200 times
Thank you ,I want to know which states need licences for working as a vet

Old 12-09-2012, 01:47 PM

1,279 posts, read 4,771,414 times
all of them.

Old 12-10-2012, 03:10 PM

4,204 posts, read 4,689,623 times
New immigrants should stick to big cities preferably in the South as cost of living there is less as compared to East Coast or California. Places like Houston, Atlanta may not be as entertaining as New York but they are nice to start your life and later on you can move. But you need a car, old cheap car will work for the start.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration