Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 06:43 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,120,187 times

Advertisements

Wasn't sure if this should be posted here, or in the Education forum:

Homeschooling: German Family Gets Political Asylum in U.S. - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/time/20100302/us_time/09171196809900 - broken link)

Intriguing story.

For a list of countries that ban or limit homeschooling see good ol' wiki:

Homeschooling - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2010, 10:06 PM

1,049 posts, read 3,011,845 times
Uhm, no. I just don't see any reason at all for them to be given asylum. Just because they are/were criminals in their home country? Homeschooling is illegal there, so don't try to argue that point with me. Whether it should be illegal or not is a debate for within that country.

Old 03-03-2010, 01:02 AM

3,078 posts, read 11,069,150 times
It's an interesting case, but I do not believe they should be granted asylum. Compulsory school attendance is one of the tools developed and developing nations use to combat child labor and child abuse. While maybe homeschooling doesn't perfectly fit the description of child abuse, the US shouldn't be granting asylum to people who wish to avoid laws designed to protect their dependents.

If someone wanted to practice voodoo medicine in the Dominican Republic but they were being forced by their government to enroll their dependents in the government health care system, would we grant them asylum so they could avoid "exposing" their children modern medicine?

Quote:
Successful asylum petitions typically involve applicants whose situations are more dire, such as women who were forced to undergo abortions or genital mutilation and men whose lives were threatened because they are homosexuals or political dissidents. But Piver believes the Memphis judge was right to grant the Romeikes asylum, since the law covers social groups with "a well-founded fear of persecution" in their home country.

In Germany, mandatory school attendance dates back to 1717, when it was introduced in Prussia, and the policy has traditionally been viewed as a social good. "This law protects children," says Josef Kraus, president of the German Teachers' Association. The European Court of Human Rights agrees with him. In 2006, the court threw out a homeschooling family's case when it deemed Germany's compulsory-schooling law as compatible with the European Convention on Human Rights, an international treaty drafted in 1950.

Old 03-03-2010, 05:54 AM

24,610 posts, read 10,936,326 times
Generally Germans just move over to Austria to homeschool. Some even keep working in Germany while living across the border. Follow this story a bit deeper and read up on the religious group the family is with in TN. How they plan to support themselves with piano lessons - I do not understand that.

Old 03-03-2010, 06:56 AM

27,215 posts, read 46,778,320 times
NOOOOOOOO!

That is ridiculous. I come from a country that doesn't allow homeschooling and when moving over here the government needed every year proof from the school that our kids were attending a regular school.

I don't think that is grounds for assylum and if more people will find out, this country will be flooded with people asking for assylum which is just ridiculous.

I have been through the visa system and know how hard it is, and maybe we would have been "smart" to go the assylum way if we had known but I think it is just wrong...

To me it is similar to people reporting rape and not having been raped and others who are really victims aren't believed any more...I know this is a weird comparising but when do you know if a case is real and when it is just a way to move here the easy way...

What about people who file for assylum and are afraid for their lives...is wanting to be home schooled being afraid of your life?

Old 03-04-2010, 05:54 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,308,249 times
No, and I believe this case sets a dangerous precedent.

Old 03-06-2010, 05:38 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,902,805 times
I really don't because it has religious intolerance in that the sate wants to teach what the people do not beleive in. Its no different than the state actaully creating religion and in this instance tachign quite the oppoiste. That is why I support home schollig here to give chioce in a country even like oursd that teach things counter to many religions.I am never for forced belief by indocrination really by the state.I this instance the sate has fined and threatened to remove the children if they don't comply which put them at harm because of their beliefs. Same as any religious intolerance IMO.Quite similiar to why jews are allowed to immigrate from russia really.

Old 03-06-2010, 09:49 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,736,042 times
No because how will they ever improve their own countries if they're simply given a free pass to come here?

Asylum requests are getting ridiculous and they go with much government assistance.

Old 03-07-2010, 09:30 AM

27,215 posts, read 46,778,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
I really don't because it has religious intolerance in that the sate wants to teach what the people do not beleive in. Its no different than the state actaully creating religion and in this instance tachign quite the oppoiste. That is why I support home schollig here to give chioce in a country even like oursd that teach things counter to many religions.I am never for forced belief by indocrination really by the state.I this instance the sate has fined and threatened to remove the children if they don't comply which put them at harm because of their beliefs. Same as any religious intolerance IMO.Quite similiar to why jews are allowed to immigrate from russia really.
Germany has all kinds of different types of schools and they could just switched to a non religious one that fits any one.

I was back in the days not allowed to the schools nearby where I lived due to the fact that I'm Jewish although we didn't practice it very much. The school were Catholic schools and during that time frame the kids had to pray every morning which my parents didn't like me to do and the school didn't except any one who wasn't Catholic. I wished I could have gone to the same school as my friends but it was what it was....

I went to what was called an "open school" which was pointed out by the local government as a school that excepted any one from any background and religion, race, etc...not that race was a question or spoken about during that time frame.

IMO since these schools still exist this family has a chance tp have their kids attend such a school.

Home schooling isn't allowed in more countries than Germany, The Netherlands doesn't allow it either and my kids were checked on every year and some times it was annoying being here and every year sending the proof they were in school. School process reports were not accepted as proof (ridiculous)....

Next time a family doesn't like the food in their country and files for assylum....that is how ridiculous this case is in my opinion.

Old 03-14-2010, 08:38 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,736,042 times
Why don't they work to reform their own country? If they don't like certain laws, they really would benefit their people more to change them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration