Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2011, 07:38 PM

2,059 posts, read 5,749,627 times

Advertisements

But there are plenty of relatively safe areas in the UK too. You're seeing what you want to see.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2011, 11:13 PM

13,630 posts, read 10,034,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagojlo View Post
But there are plenty of relatively safe areas in the UK too. You're seeing what you want to see.
I'm seeing what I don't want to see.

Old 08-09-2011, 11:20 PM

Riots spread north as capital cools | UK news | guardian.co.uk

Old 08-10-2011, 05:05 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,710,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BECLAZONE View Post
I do quite often, and at least there are areas that are relatively safe. Just over an hour ago I was watching a twenty mile long plume of smoke, no doubt a result of more mindless rioting. It’s getting far too close!
Quote:
I'm seeing what I don't want to see.
There is something that you're not seeing, though and it's something which is the same today as it was when I emigrated to the US from the UK in the late 60s.

My husband and I were preparing for the move and the US company for whom he was to work regularly sent us copies of the local daily newspapers. The New Haven Register and the Bridgeport News as I recall. I was browsing through one of those fat papers one day when my eye was caught by a tiny little news paragraph on something like page 32 noting that a police officer had been shot and killed in the line of duty during the investigation of a robbery in progress. I don't remember which state it was.

I was shocked beyond shocked. If a police officer were killed anywhere in the UK it would be nationwide front page news for days if not weeks but, in the US, such a killing merits only a brief paragraph in another state's local newspaper.

Of course that's a reflection of the sheer vastness of the US but it was nonetheless a difference which took quite a bit of getting used to. If you ever make it to the US to live you may well be happy living there but never make assumptions about the comparisons between the two countries in any respect and certainly not where safety issues are concerned. That green grass is illusory.

Old 08-10-2011, 08:48 AM

We have been dealing with flash-mobs all summer here in Chicago. Just this week a guy was shot in the back of the head at point blank range in the middle of a busy downtown street, at 5.15pm. Broad daylight, surrounded by commuters and tourists.

Old 08-11-2011, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
There is something that you're not seeing, though and it's something which is the same today as it was when I emigrated to the US from the UK in the late 60s.

My husband and I were preparing for the move and the US company for whom he was to work regularly sent us copies of the local daily newspapers. The New Haven Register and the Bridgeport News as I recall. I was browsing through one of those fat papers one day when my eye was caught by a tiny little news paragraph on something like page 32 noting that a police officer had been shot and killed in the line of duty during the investigation of a robbery in progress. I don't remember which state it was.

I was shocked beyond shocked. If a police officer were killed anywhere in the UK it would be nationwide front page news for days if not weeks but, in the US, such a killing merits only a brief paragraph in another state's local newspaper.

Of course that's a reflection of the sheer vastness of the US but it was nonetheless a difference which took quite a bit of getting used to. If you ever make it to the US to live you may well be happy living there but never make assumptions about the comparisons between the two countries in any respect and certainly not where safety issues are concerned. That green grass is illusory.
Do you ever come back to visit, and did the move make you and your Husband happy?

It’s the sheer vastness that is the attraction, I’ve seen most of the UK, and the rest is just like that which have already seen.

I think the US economy has far more chance of any future stability than the UK has, so I believe it can only get worse here. We have next to no manufacturing industry left, not enough land to support out present population, and very few resources.

On the safety issue, I believe in the US you are at least allowed to defend yourself and your property. In the media yesterday, a Police officer was giving advice on how to protect your property from these rioting hordes, the advice given was, make sure your security video camera has tape in it!

I’ve probably got to be realistic about this, and give up on the notion, which won’t be anything new to me. (But that is the whole problem of the UK, as how hard you try in life, you never have the chance to actually achieve anything substantial and this causes many to adopt negative attitudes).

There has to be more to life than watching soaps on TV, or getting pickled in the Pub.

I know there is the “Grass is Greener” thing, but it just may be.

I must thank you now, I know you are trying to be helpful.

Thank you.

Old 08-11-2011, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagojlo View Post
We have been dealing with flash-mobs all summer here in Chicago. Just this week a guy was shot in the back of the head at point blank range in the middle of a busy downtown street, at 5.15pm. Broad daylight, surrounded by commuters and tourists.
You would be surprised how regular an occurrence street shootings are here, if you add to that, stabbings, beatings and muggings, many of which don’t get reported, the UK becomes a less attractive option.

I’m not sure that they can be classed as flash-mobs here, they have become organised.

Old 08-11-2011, 10:26 AM

I left the UK for a lot of the same reasons you post in this latest comment (your original post just riled me the wrong way with the 'standards and morals' talk).

I wanted my kids to have a decent education and decent healthcare without having to hit the postcode lottery to do it. I didn't want them growing up thinking that the measure of how good your night was is how little of it you remember.

The reality is that most Americans face the same struggles to get their kids into good enough schools and to get them any healthcare, never mind decent enough healthcare. In our particular situation we have a life here that could not be replicated in the UK, but it does not come without it's drawbacks. I certainly wouldn't trade it for what we would have have in the UK, but believe me when I say it's not all swings and roundabouts.

You can come here if you pursue it in the correct manner. But come here for the right reasons or you'll never be happy.

Old 08-11-2011, 10:29 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,710,891 times
Quote:
Do you ever come back to visit, and did the move make you and your Husband happy?

Yes to the visits since all my family is still there but it's been several years now since my business (which I just closed) kept me tied down. As far as my husband and I's happiness the marriage didn't work out but the move wasn't the problem! Happiness is relative. I enjoyed 17 years in Connecticut and traveled much of the US. For the past 28 years I've lived in the Caribbean so have actually lived here longer than anywhere else! I moved around a lot as a child so moving has never been an issue for me. Where my feet land I easily adapt and make a home.

I think the US economy has far more chance of any future stability than the UK has, so I believe it can only get worse here. We have next to no manufacturing industry left, not enough land to support out present population, and very few resources.

Take off the rose colored spectacles. You think the US economy isn't still failing rapidly? Watching Charles Ferguson's brilliant 2010 movie, "Inside Job" might be of interest. And you seriously think that the US still has a manufacturing industry? I don't know from where you're getting your information but things are nowhere near as good as you seem to think they are and there's no sign of any improvement in the future.

On the safety issue, I believe in the US you are at least allowed to defend yourself and your property. In the media yesterday, a Police officer was giving advice on how to protect your property from these rioting hordes, the advice given was, make sure your security video camera has tape in it!

And how do you think that's different from the US? I doubt emergency response rates are any better in the US than they are in the UK and although you may not be able to avoid being robbed or whatever, a video camera is not only a deterrent but obviously a useful tool for identification purposes. I installed them in my business after I was robbed twice and never had a problem after that as any thugs quickly realized I had that protection.

I’ve probably got to be realistic about this, and give up on the notion, which won’t be anything new to me. (But that is the whole problem of the UK, as how hard you try in life, you never have the chance to actually achieve anything substantial and this causes many to adopt negative attitudes).

There has to be more to life than watching soaps on TV, or getting pickled in the Pub.

I know there is the “Grass is Greener” thing, but it just may be.

I must thank you now, I know you are trying to be helpful.

Thank you.
I don't mean to paint a bleak picture but I do believe in accepting reality and if bleak is the reality then so be it! Good luck in your adventure!

Old 08-11-2011, 10:38 AM

Plus at least in the UK you're considerably more likely to be alive after a home invasion to use your camera evidence, here the criminals are much more heavily armed because they are more likely to be shot by a homeowner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration