Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
 [Register]
Lehigh Valley Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2010, 09:55 AM

995 posts, read 2,728,297 times

Advertisements

I've been trying to compare the difference of cost of living between my currently location town of Montgomery NY & west end of Allentown, Emmaus and Macungie area. Every website I've used to compare the differences recorded a plus difference. Is this true? In other words; if I made 65k in NY, I would have to make 76k in ABE. With the exception of pay rate, I assumed the cost of living would be considerably less in ABE than in the lower Hudson Valley.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2010, 06:17 AM

4,416 posts, read 9,141,500 times
pay low and expenses high. People are cheap here. They do not pay what you are worth. People who are qualified to make $15 an hr will get $10.

Old 07-07-2010, 06:58 AM

36 posts, read 106,765 times
The cost of living may be lower, but the pay you make will also be lower. But the cost of living here has jumped in the past decade, and it will soon reach the point someday where you won't be able to tell where PA ends and NJ begins.

Old 07-08-2010, 07:27 AM

Groceries & car insurance seem equal to what I pay in the hudson valley. Rent is about equal as well in some of the locations I visited yesterday. I'm not sure what utilities run for and I know my pay will not be the same unless maybe I commute down into Philly which doesn't really guarantee anything.

Old 08-03-2010, 02:35 PM

17 posts, read 57,636 times
I have found the cost of living here to far exceed what people seem to think it should be...in other words, wages are still matching the cost of living in the Lehigh Valley before the great emigration of NY and NJ into the area. I've only been here 4 months but my family and I are barely getting by on what I thought would be a fairly generous, middle-class salary.

Old 08-03-2010, 06:31 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,530,868 times
I think it's less expensive area then NYC or Philadelphia, but the Lehigh Valley is not some rural, isolated area and it's not known to be a low cost area. I am surprised that it's not the same as the Hudson Valley.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 08-04-2010, 07:33 AM

18 posts, read 87,322 times
It's all relative!

Moved from NYC and everything here seems amazingly reasonable
(mainly housing)

Can't say that car insurance, groceries, etc. are that meaningfully cheaper, just a little bit.

Difference in state tax rate is a biggie (but keep in mind the city-specific earned income tax when doing your budgeting)

Old 08-05-2010, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
I think it's less expensive area then NYC or Philadelphia, but the Lehigh Valley is not some rural, isolated area and it's not known to be a low cost area. I am surprised that it's not the same as the Hudson Valley.
My wife and I settled on an apartment @ ********** Apartments. $1000 for a 2br, 1 1/2 bathroom, kitchen, dinning room, central air, and plenty of closet spaces in Emmaus. Two bedrooms on my side of the river in the Hudson Valley is going for slightly less, but no where near the condition of the apt. we are looking to move into. Central air will definitely jack up my electric bill, but not having to pay $15 a day to commute to work will offset the difference in electric bilsl. RCN has a triple pay package going for $109 for the first year. I'm currently paying close to $200 for Time Warner. As farmerk mentioned, it truly is all relative.

Old 08-06-2010, 07:50 AM

18 posts, read 87,322 times
The little things do add up,

I am saving about 20 a month on car insurance

Gas is definitely cheaper here, sometimes by as much as 40-50 cents per gal.

The per kwH cost of electricity is lower (of course I offset that by moving to much more sq ft house)

Health insurance rates are lower than NY

Highway tolls negligible comparatively

Old 08-06-2010, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmerk View Post
The little things do add up,

I am saving about 20 a month on car insurance

Gas is definitely cheaper here, sometimes by as much as 40-50 cents per gal.

The per kwH cost of electricity is lower (of course I offset that by moving to much more sq ft house)

Health insurance rates are lower than NY

Highway tolls negligible comparatively
Where did you move from and where are you currently living? I'm originally from NYC, but lived up in Slatington for a few years when I was a kid. I never thought I would be moving back to PA, but I am no longer in a NY state of mind. My wife and I looked looked at area's in NC & NM, but decided PA is good enough for us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley