Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
 [Register]
Lehigh Valley Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2014, 07:50 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,530,868 times

Advertisements

Anyone see today's top article in The Morning Call? It talked about revitalizing the waterfront area. Demolition begins for Allentown's Waterfront development along the Lehigh River - themorningcall.com

I hope this takes off. Allentown has a lot of things going for it right now and I'd love to WANT to go to downtown Allentown now instead of just going through it or stopping at specific places like Symphony Hall.

Quote:
Taking six to 10 years to complete, the Waterfront ultimately will include six office buildings, several restaurants, 175 apartments, two parking garages and retail shops. Each office complex will feature restaurants and shops on the first floor. Phase 1, on 13 acres just south of the Tilghman Street bridge, will take about three years, with the 13 acres north of the bridge coming next.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2014, 08:28 AM

2,794 posts, read 2,934,041 times
Certainly trying to do a lot to "clean up".... I'm anxious to see how the new hockey arena does.

Old 07-25-2014, 12:08 PM

2,957 posts, read 5,905,466 times
I saw that article. It's just a matter of demand and getting external (non LV based) businesses to move into Allentown. I'm not sure why they would do so (although I hope they would).

The hockey arena is driven by consumers going to the stadium and then presumably shopping/ eating in the immediate area. It also is based on LVHN moving a bunch of jobs from one part of the LV to Allentown (not a real gain).

Old 07-27-2014, 08:15 AM

14,611 posts, read 17,568,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psurangers11 View Post
Certainly trying to do a lot to "clean up".... I'm anxious to see how the new hockey arena does.
The hockey arena will do fine. It almost can't fail. But at a cost of $175 million divided by 8000 seats (over $20K per seat) I think it is the fourth most expensive stadium IN THE ENTIRE WORLD on a cost per seat basis. The other three are in NYC area (Yankees in Bronx, Barclays in Brooklyn, and MetLife in Meadowlands).

Most stadiums feature professional basketball, soccer, football, etc.

Under the normal rules of economics, you could never pay for a stadium at that cost with minor league teams and concerts. No matter how successful you are.

Old 07-28-2014, 09:19 AM

85 posts, read 103,804 times
I grew up in Allentown, attended it's public schools, and watched it's decline. Like many other Allentownians I now live in the suburbs where it is safer and quieter, with better schools, and is just more attractive in general. I would love to see Allentown achieve success through revitalization, but despite tax incentives and public monies it won't be easy. I think that the arena will draw crowds; the hockey games and concerts will do well. The real question is, will visitors to the venue patronize other downtown businesses? Sadly, my prediction is no.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 07-28-2014 at 10:35 AM.. Reason: fixed typo

Old 07-28-2014, 10:27 AM

4,416 posts, read 9,141,500 times
As in Reading the people walking around with their pants down in a zombie like state with baby carriages will continue in their clueless state as others will pass them by symbollically and literally.

Old 08-03-2014, 12:08 PM

7,271 posts, read 10,601,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valley slacker View Post
I grew up in Allentown, attended it's public schools, and watched it's decline. Like many other Allentownians I now live in the suburbs where it is safer and quieter, with better schools, and is just more attractive in general. I would love to see Allentown achieve success through revitalization, but despite tax incentives and public monies it won't be easy. I think that the arena will draw crowds; the hockey games and concerts will do well. The real question is, will visitors to the venue patronize other downtown businesses? Sadly, my prediction is no.
Countless other cities have revitalized their downtowns, with visitors spending time and money at local businesses surrounding their visits to shows/games. I don't know what makes Allentown so different that it cannot achieve the same thing. I understand skepticism, but there's no reason for a complete lack of confidence. The exciting thing about Allentown's downtown projects is that they are in the very heart of downtown -- this is a crucial element to having a "spillover" effect.

It really does seem like Allentown is making some very ambitious and positive investments that is allowing it to attract a critical mass of people downtown (e.g., new office workers and leisure visitors) and allow the city to gain some traction for a broader renaissance. Revitalization has to start somewhere.

Old 08-04-2014, 07:23 AM

85 posts, read 103,804 times
Revitalization has to start somewhere.

It did, Bethlehem.

Old 08-07-2014, 07:19 AM

4,416 posts, read 9,141,500 times
I am fully on board with the revitalization of Allentown. Bethlehem is yesterday. Allentown is now the hip place to be. Led by people like King Allentown and the soon to be unveiled King West End!!!

Old 08-14-2014, 04:21 AM

18 posts, read 27,749 times
This post is my opinion on what the city needs to do to revitalize Allentown.

I think the city needs to focus on a few issues and concentrate on these issues to revitalize the city. Below are the issues I think the city needs to address if they want to revitalize the city.

I think they need to:

1. Deal properly with the run-down vacant properties in the city as tax revenue is often lost on vacant properties.

2. Aggressively attack quality of life issues such as graffiti, litter, trashed properties, illegal dumping, and parking problems.

3. Create a more inviting environment for visitors visiting the city such as offering free parking for a few hours near the downtown areas.

4. Push for more home owned properties throughout the city.

5. Aggressively deal with the absentee landlords and slumlords in the city.

Above are five things I think the city needs to do if they want to revitalize Allentown. Building a hockey arena and office buildings is not going to bring back Allentown. Run-down vacant properties affect the city in many ways by decreasing property values, infest more crime, safety & fire hazards, reduce city tax revenue, and negatively affect the quality of life for city residents and visitors.

Having graffiti, litter, trashed properties, and trashed neighborhoods also are quality of life issues I think the city needs to focus on. Having all of these in many of the center city neighborhoods is not an attractive site for residents or visitors.

The city needs to create a more inviting environment for people visiting the city. One thing I think they should do is offer free parking for a few hours in parking decks close to the downtown areas. This would allow visitors to come into the city and park worry free while they shop at the local shops and eat at the local restaurants throughout the downtown area.

Right now the city is 52% rental with over 27,000 rental properties in the city. It is a known fact that home owned properties raise property values and home owned properties are usually more well kept then rental units. I think the city needs to push for more home owned properties.

I think they need to aggressively deal with absentee landlords and slumlords. The city keeps saying they are working on a plan and trying to do everything they can legally however myself and the VP of the Allentown Tenant Association we run have presented them with multiple ideas and multiple strategies used in other cities with success. It is time to stop beating around the bush with the issue and attack it aggressively.

We want businesses to come into the city and we want people to visit the city but if we don't deal with the issues mentioned then nether are going to happen as much as they could. I hear from people who live outside of the city all the time telling me they don't come into Allentown unless they really have to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley