Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
 [Register]
Lehigh Valley Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2021, 07:46 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,507,910 times

Advertisements

Yes, I know this is a oft repeated topic, but it was in today's paper so thought I would pop it up.

https://www.mcall.com/news/local/mc-...7fa-story.html

Quote:
On Wednesday afternoon, President Joe Biden detailed a massive infrastructure plan that would require $2.3 trillion in spending over eight years, creating millions of jobs. The plan includes $85 billion for public transit to expand service across the country, and another $80 billion to modernize Amtrak’s Northeast Corridor line.

Hours later, Amtrak released its 2035 Vision to grow rail service across America with new and enhanced routes, including a link between Allentown and New York City.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2021, 02:05 PM

2,957 posts, read 5,900,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
Yes, I know this is a oft repeated topic, but it was in today's paper so thought I would pop it up.

https://www.mcall.com/news/local/mc-...7fa-story.html
The Whitehouse Station line into NYC is like 1.5 hours, and that's ~40 miles closer to NYC than Allentown. I'm not sure how this would actually work and it seems like a massive waste of money.

Amtrak is also awful.

Old 04-01-2021, 03:27 PM

7,643 posts, read 6,471,209 times
Lehigh Valley to New York City train service part of Amtrak’s vision for 2035

https://www.lehighvalleylive.com/all...-for-2035.html

I dare to hope!

I hate driving to the valley

Old 04-05-2021, 12:47 PM

943 posts, read 781,989 times
The fact it will take so long is annoying. Our country is so backwards on rail. I hope SEPTA also brings back its commuter train to Allentown. There is not reason why the 3rd largest city in PA is not connected by rail. Trains in Allentown would be an economic boom.

Old 04-05-2021, 12:55 PM

7,643 posts, read 6,471,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moionfire View Post
The fact it will take so long is annoying. Our country is so backwards on rail. I hope SEPTA also brings back its commuter train to Allentown. There is not reason why the 3rd largest city in PA is not connected by rail. Trains in Allentown would be an economic boom.

i think LV should have access to nj transit, septa, and amtrak. It should be a one station hub.

Old 04-05-2021, 12:57 PM

31,340 posts, read 14,247,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazerj View Post
The Whitehouse Station line into NYC is like 1.5 hours, and that's ~40 miles closer to NYC than Allentown. I'm not sure how this would actually work and it seems like a massive waste of money.

Amtrak is also awful.
Correct.
The trains have their place, but I can't see a lot of people riding from Allentown to NYC for what they are going to want to charge. Much better (read: faster and cheaper) option is to drive into central Jersey and grab NJ Transit instead.

Old 04-05-2021, 03:33 PM

2,539 posts, read 2,310,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous-Boy View Post
i think LV should have access to nj transit, septa, and amtrak. It should be a one station hub.
I agree with this.

I think LV though first and foremost should invest in a light rail system between Allentown, Bethlehem and Easton and connect with a few of the growing close in suburbs.

Old 04-09-2021, 10:30 PM

14,611 posts, read 17,532,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazerj View Post
The time it takes you to go on a train from Whitehouse Station into NYC is so long that most people would rather take the Transbridge bus from a nearby bus stop.

Old 04-17-2021, 01:31 AM

836 posts, read 850,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moionfire View Post
The fact that it took so damned long for talks about connecting Allentown to NYC and Philadelphia is utterly disappointing at the finest, considering that most areas along the Northeast have some access to intercity rail. It's still possible to take the train from NYC to Albany and Montreal, and another rail service connecting Albany to Syracuse, Rochester, and Buffalo. It's not fast at all, but at least, there's rail service. There's also rail service connecting many of NJ's and CT's cities.

Also, in New England, the MBTA commuter rail links Boston to outlying communities such as Providence RI, Worcester, Lowell, and Haverhill. DC and Baltimore has MARC and VRE, so where does this leave Philadelphia and PA? The elephant in the room seems to be Philadelphia and PA's lack on urgency on this issue alone of not connecting Philadelphia to regional cities like Allentown, Reading, Lancaster, and West Chester. I don't even see this as a federal problem considering that NY, NJ, CT, MA, RI, IL, DC, MD, VA, CA, and even red states like TX, FL, and even UT are developing their commuter rail systems but it's specifically a PA problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous-Boy View Post
I believe in addition to rail service being proposed between NYC and Allentown, there should be intercity service between Philadelphia and Scranton via Allentown. Wheterh it's high speed or not shouldn't even matter. The Delaware and Hudson ran service between those two cities for the longest and there shouldn't be any excuse why there's no rail service between Philadelphia and Scranton.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowhomecity View Post
I agree with this.

I think LV though first and foremost should invest in a light rail system between Allentown, Bethlehem and Easton and connect with a few of the growing close in suburbs.
I personally believe a light rail service is a good idea, but it's very superfluous. If the Lehigh Valley cities were much bigger in the same way as Newark and Jersey City, then a light rail may make more sense, but those cities aren't as big as Newark and Jersey City. Besides, the Lehigh Valley was a very good bus system in LANTA. I'd rather see intercity rail serving Allentown, Bethlehem, and Easton than a light rail system that may be lightly used at this point.

Old 04-18-2021, 05:54 PM

188 posts, read 127,303 times
Seems kind of weird that Philadelphia was left off the map for service to Lehigh valley, but I guess it makes sense to focus on NYC service first. Speaking as a Philadelphia resident it would be nice to be able to easily visit via train instead of dealing with 476. Continuing up to Jim Thorpe and Lehigh gorge would make for a scenic trip too. At least service to Reading is on the map
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley