Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
 [Register]
Lehigh Valley Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2009, 02:55 PM

13 posts, read 27,016 times

Advertisements

Are there good parking areas/lots near the festival grounds. I looked on the Google aerial map and there appears to be parking garages but I didn't see any open lots. I'd like to stay away from garages since it takes forever to get out at the close of the festival.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2009, 05:17 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,530,868 times
I don't know of any lots in the city. They often don't charge for the garage when there are events if that's any consolation. For Musikfest we've parked over by Starter's Riverport where there is parking for some office building so it's empty on weekends.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 09-22-2009, 06:23 PM

1,213 posts, read 3,112,914 times
If you end up parking on the street, be very careful for any posted restriction signs. The Bethlehem Parking Authority employees might as well be called Parking Nazis. Even if it's a legit spot, they'll stalk your car, put chalk on the tires, and the second the meter is up, there's your ticket. Beware the BPA folks in the Subaru stationwagons. They're much more aggressive than Allentown, Easton, etc.

Old 09-23-2009, 06:07 PM

63 posts, read 172,975 times
thought i posted this yesterday but it didn't show up:

if you drive a bit up lehigh st there is a tiny shopping plaza that charges you something like $5 to park in their lot. and they watch your car!

yes, they are aggressive, especially in the downtown area and around moravian, but tickets are only 10 so it's not that bad.

Old 09-23-2009, 09:40 PM

347 posts, read 650,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vapama View Post
thought i posted this yesterday but it didn't show up:

if you drive a bit up lehigh st there is a tiny shopping plaza that charges you something like $5 to park in their lot. and they watch your car!

yes, they are aggressive, especially in the downtown area and around moravian, but tickets are only 10 so it's not that bad.
Pretty much. It's a $10 ticket, so you're not going get butt-raped if you get a ticket. Contrast that to NYC, where tickets are $55 and up. The Subaru/Wrangler-riding BPA employees may be aggressive, but that's probably due to the fact that they have nothing better to do, and that they need to work harder to get more revenue.

That reminds me of the story of New Yorkers going up to Cooperstown to see the Baseball Hall of Fame. They pull up to an illegal parking space and ask a pedestrian how much a parking ticket costs. The pedestrian replies $10. The New Yorkers look at the situation as "parking is only $10 for the whole day".

That said, parking in Bethlehem is dirt cheap. Garages are usually $5 for the whole day. I recently borrowed my parent's car for the last couple of weeks, and I was astounded that the Lehigh University garages only charged $1 for a whole day of parking (it happened to be raised to $2 the day I arrived with the car, but I got in very early in the morning before they raised the prices. $2 is still dirt cheap any way you look at it).

And if you're worried about waiting in long lines in garages after festivals, don't. Their closer proximity to the grounds and the general lack of parking lots close by means that you won't save any time by parking in a lot further away. If you do want a free parking lot, but don't mind the walk, the Lehigh University faculty lots are free during the weekends (but off-limits during the weekdays, obviously).

Old 10-01-2009, 05:49 AM

13 posts, read 27,016 times
Thanks everyone for the info. I thought parking would be much more difficult than it was. I was able to park on the street 3 blocks away.

The Celtic Festival was great. Thanks again.

Old 10-14-2009, 10:52 AM

50 posts, read 189,350 times
Parking for Celtic Fest is generally painless as there are plenty of on-street parking spaces. (Musikfest is much, much worse.)

A note about the BPA Nazies...I say good for them that they are doing their job and doing it well. I live on a street zoned for 2-hour parking (unless you have a residential sticker) and rules are rules. Park for 2 hours, but you better move it after your time is up. The signs are easy to understand and parking in the (safe and secure) garages is only $1 per hour (max of $6 for the day). So, unless you are a cheapskate or don't like rules, the BPA is doing what it is supposed to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley