Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
 [Register]
Lehigh Valley Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2007, 01:55 PM

11 posts, read 40,031 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for information about Lehigh Valley public schools and education of gifted students. Anyone with good experiences with any particular school district? Any school in particular? Any advice for someone with kids working above grade level who plans to move to Allentown area?

Thanks,

J
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2007, 06:50 AM

422 posts, read 2,005,884 times
My son is gifted and he attends the Pocono Elementary Center. When he entered kindergarten last year, I told them I think he is gifted, by the end of September he was tested and then put in the gifted program. He turned 6 that January,(still in Kindergarten and still in the gifted program) so then I had him tested again to take the Iowa Acceleration Test. (I had to do the research and tell the school-admin about the test) so he was tested and by March he was placed in 1st grade. He completed 1st grade and started this past september in 2nd grade. And he has been doing great this year now as a 2nd grader. He was the First child in 20 years for that school to skip a grade and the fourth child in the whole district ever to do it. (ok I'm bragging. LOL)

But you need to do all the research and go in there like you know all the stuff about the exams to get him tested. Good luck.

Old 05-15-2007, 02:43 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,530,868 times
We have a nice gifted program in the Southern Lehigh School district. Students are tested at the end of second grade and then are pulled out for enrichment through elementary school. In middle school they do a gifted class instead of the regular reading class. In high school there is gifted seminar class with opportunities for trips and students can study Russian. I think it's a pretty sweet deal. All gifted students are given an IEP which seems to have some pull in HS.

Old 05-20-2007, 07:32 PM

84 posts, read 419,926 times
I would definitely look into both the East Penn SD and the Parkland SD. Both districts are about the same size with the same opportunities available for their gifted students. Also, the parents of students in these districts tend to expect the best education possible for the kids (like most parents) and are willing to push/fight for it more than in some a lot of other districts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley