Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2007, 07:11 PM

93 posts, read 347,806 times

Advertisements

Easy,
Thanks. The price is reasonable enough for me, on the low end and on a fixed income. I plan to check with AARP and some other resources if I start looking for housing. Reading other web stuff on Lexington is getting me more psyched up about visiting and seeing how it feels.
Where I'm at now is very rural, about forty miles from town, so am looking forward just to being around more people again. In the past I lived in St.Louis, spent a decade in Seattle, five years in Denver,grew up in Virginia Beach\Norfolk area and don't want to be in super large cities now. I'm in the mountains, and it is beautiful, but after a year, it is time to return to where there are more people and be involved in regular things again.
Does Lexington have a good bus system? I may opt to do that with gas being so high now. What is gas per gallon there? It was 3.09 here today and has been as high as about $3.50. Is Autumn really nice there? Thanks for the link to look over too.
Zoe
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2007, 08:45 PM

Easy,
Hello. I just checked the link. That place looks pretty good to me, so will be checking it out. Thanks mucho!
Zoe

Old 07-23-2007, 07:52 AM

915 posts, read 3,181,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoe51 View Post
Easy,
Thanks. The price is reasonable enough for me, on the low end and on a fixed income. I plan to check with AARP and some other resources if I start looking for housing. Reading other web stuff on Lexington is getting me more psyched up about visiting and seeing how it feels.
Where I'm at now is very rural, about forty miles from town, so am looking forward just to being around more people again. In the past I lived in St.Louis, spent a decade in Seattle, five years in Denver,grew up in Virginia Beach\Norfolk area and don't want to be in super large cities now. I'm in the mountains, and it is beautiful, but after a year, it is time to return to where there are more people and be involved in regular things again.
Does Lexington have a good bus system? I may opt to do that with gas being so high now. What is gas per gallon there? It was 3.09 here today and has been as high as about $3.50. Is Autumn really nice there? Thanks for the link to look over too.
Zoe
their bus system just like any small town bus system unless you are going around the campus area.
The area you are looking at located in Tates Creek. Also check out Regency Apartment. Yes it is cheap and if you can get one good for you. I live there for 2 years ....it's awesome. rent included the gas heat too (not sure about now).
The owner was nice people. One time, one of our neighboor 3 rd floor accidentally started a fire. We all ended up in the hotel paid by the owner for a week until they clean up the area n smoke free.
I was paying $540 for 3 BR with water+ gas heat included..

Old 07-23-2007, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myselfdotcom View Post
their bus system just like any small town bus system unless you are going around the campus area.
The area you are looking at located in Tates Creek. Also check out Regency Apartment. Yes it is cheap and if you can get one good for you. I live there for 2 years ....it's awesome. rent included the gas heat too (not sure about now).
The owner was nice people. One time, one of our neighboor 3 rd floor accidentally started a fire. We all ended up in the hotel paid by the owner for a week until they clean up the area n smoke free.
I was paying $540 for 3 BR with water+ gas heat included..
Is the Regency in a safe area? I'm going to look it up too. Thanks mucho. This is a big help. With a few names of places, it won't be quite so nerve wracking if I go apartment hunting. I'm very impressed with the positive feedback. It's a real contrast to where I lived on the west coast for sure.
Zoe

Old 07-24-2007, 07:29 AM

915 posts, read 3,181,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoe51 View Post
Is the Regency in a safe area? I'm going to look it up too. Thanks mucho. This is a big help. With a few names of places, it won't be quite so nerve wracking if I go apartment hunting. I'm very impressed with the positive feedback. It's a real contrast to where I lived on the west coast for sure.
Zoe

what's safe? Do you constitutes safe as in no murder or no breaking in? Oh well i can tell you the regency place when I was there (1999-2001) was pretty safe. It's pretty family oriented. Nothing fancy but it's quiet place. it's not the same class as in those places in Tates but definately save you a bunch for house down the road

p/s the bowling place nearby is cool though..used open 24 hrs and they have saturday special..bowl all night for like cheap...not sure if they still do it. Plus Regency is near grocery store (kroger) , gas stations out there and malls is not far away either..just a couple miles down the road.

Regency Manor (859) 278-1911
2075 Regency Rd, Lexington, KY 40503

One thing though..dont live near campus if you are older.....way too much partying LOL

Old 07-24-2007, 08:48 PM

508 posts, read 1,513,012 times
Just an idea for transportation -- get a Dahon folding bike and buy bus passes as you need 'em. Should have no problem getting around. Cab to the airport is never a problem either.

Lexington is kind of divided into areas and you are never far from shopping/entertainment of various sorts. I think a bike + bus pass would allow you to get around w/o any hassles. The city is currently putting in some bike lanes throughout the area -- probably in an effort to be more like Madison, WI.

Old 07-25-2007, 01:50 PM

32 posts, read 175,915 times
Hey, Zoe

Maybe we'll catch up with you! My son and I are relocating to Lex within the year (probably next spring), and are orthodox unitarians...(speaking of having no doctrine...) The Lex UU website looks interesting, the pastor sounds like she might be the real deal.
Coming from College Station, Texas, home of the George Bush Pres Library and arguably one of the most conservative big-universtiy towns in the country, Lex will be a relief for us. I'm originally from the Bay Area, CA, and living in the south was quite a shock to my system...This is the bible belt, as is Kentucky. But think of all the cool cities that will be within a day's drive - Washington DC, Chicago, NYC... and all the cool places to go outside...and it SNOWS in the winter (but not too much...). We're horsey people, too, so it's really a no-brainer for us.

See you there - ?!

Old 07-25-2007, 01:58 PM

4,826 posts, read 14,314,005 times
You know, as a matter of fact, typically when an entire community is asking you about which church you attend, the crime factor in the area is extremely low. Interesting? mmmmmm?? Is there a connection between faith and lower crime rates? Funny how the better subdivisions and places a family would wish to raise their children are those same communities where church is important.

Old 07-25-2007, 05:54 PM

508 posts, read 1,513,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomocox View Post
You know, as a matter of fact, typically when an entire community is asking you about which church you attend, the crime factor in the area is extremely low. Interesting? mmmmmm?? Is there a connection between faith and lower crime rates? Funny how the better subdivisions and places a family would wish to raise their children are those same communities where church is important.

Got any studies to prove it? Or are you just blowing your horn? The South is the Bible Belt yet it happens to be home to some of the most violent cities in America.

Maybe it has more to do with poverty levels

Last edited by easydoesit; 07-25-2007 at 06:58 PM..

Old 07-26-2007, 09:53 AM

4,826 posts, read 14,314,005 times
I have seen data, and I am re-searching for hard copy documentation which I will forward to you as soon as possible. While waiting, please do your own survey. Go into the high crime areas and ask this question, "when you attend church, which church do you attend?" Then if they say _____ church, "how many times do you go there?" Then go to a low crime area and ask the same questions.

Based on comments in this forum and especially this thread, I see many thoughts which have no logic in their process. Just because someone "feels" or "believes" something doesn't mean it's right, nor does it mean it's wrong. I will also apologize to the non-churched people who have been run away by "Christians" spreading guilt rather than the Hope of our faith. Often those "Christians" including myself are genuinely only guilty of being human and giving gifts people don't know how to use. Gee, how I wish I could be perfect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area