Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2013, 12:28 PM

67 posts, read 135,170 times

Advertisements

So ... we're considering a Lexington move more seriously. This could happen in summer of 2013, summer of 2014, anytime in between, or there's a chance we suddenly wind up moving elsewhere, or nowhere. In the meantime I've spent so much time studying Lexington's housing market, my DH (who lived there as a child) is starting to say I know more about Lexington than he does!

And now I have a lot of semi-random questions.

1. Garden Springs seems nice. Does anyone know if their neighborhood association is active? I found a site for an association, but the news on it was outdated, so I'm wondering if it even exists anymore.
Also, I'm getting the impression that Garden Springs is still nice, but some parts of the GardenSIDE neighborhoods are beginning to become less safe. We're planning on this being the "last move", so I want a neighborhood that holds up over the next 30-40 years, safety-wise, and doesn't get swallowed up by some sort of blight creeping in from less safe areas. Ignore the flowerly language, if it seems overly dramatic, that's not really my intention. But do you disagree that Garden Springs would be a fairly safe bet for an elderly couple or single in the year 2043?

2. Power lines. My guess is it's mostly because of the price range I've been looking in (100-150ish), but I see a lot of power lines in backyards. For those of you who live in the city, is there any talk of (or action toward) burying any of these? My last 2 homes have had buried cables & lines, so I really notice when wiring is strung across a neighborhood landscape. Not a dealbreaker, just wondering.

3. Is Picadome worth considering if the price is right? Or too close to run down / crime areas?

4. I read about a project to uncover a stream through downtown as part of a sort of greenway/park system. If you're a resident, do you foresee this happening? Or falling by the wayside?

5. Have you ever known anyone to retire to Lexington, who doesn't already have children in the area?

6. I get the impression Southland's neighborhood association actively sponsors neighborhood events. Are there any other associations particularly well known for having community get togethers, sales, cleanup days, etc. where residents get to know each other and work or play together? Or, am I wrong about Southland?

By the way, those of you who have commented about newcomers finding the school system confusing are right in my case. I'm still torn between (1) trying to land in the area with the best middle school (my daughter is in 3rd grade now), and decent elementary and high schools and hoping they aren't overcrowded so she can't get in ... vs. (2) counting on her going to a magnet as she does here, in which case the assigned school isn't such an issue, but driving time would be, as would be the opportunities to meet neighborhood kids outside of school. I think she would have had a good shot at SCAPA Bluegrass in drama, except that their enrollment is already being decided for kids her age with auditions and everything in 3rd ... not to say if that is even whether that would be better for her than a normal AGP program. So I'm not sure yet how to "aim" if we move between 3rd & 4th, or during 4th. Or even 5th. (Our house here is not on the market yet, as we've been waiting to see activity in our neighborhood.) There are certainly houses on the east side and the Tates Creek area that look nice and are near or in our price range, but the schools there look worse than what we have here, and we don't want to put her in a worse situation. It seems trying to stick to the 40503 zip or near it is the best given all the unknowns. But other times, I feel like it'd be just as good to stick a Lexington map up on our wall and throw darts at it to find a neighborhood! If I sound muddled on this, I am, lol! As for houses, I love multi-story, traditional, colonial, arts & crafts, cape cods (love love love the 1 1/2 stories with the angled ceilings on the upper levels), and modern, even 70's. It's hard not to find houses I like in Lex. DH is happy as long as he can make himself a man cave somewhere. But where, oh where?
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2013, 03:53 PM

14,767 posts, read 8,097,050 times
I am definitely not an expert, but do live in Lexington, and will give you my take.

1) I think Garden Springs is pretty nice, Gardenside maybe too, in some areas. Some spots off of Versailles Road should be avoided though, they are kind of sketchy.
2). You see power lines in the older areas of Lexington, most of the newer ones they are underground, or at least so it seems, from what I can tell.
3). A former coworker of mine, lived there, and loved it. But this was over a decade ago though, so I am not sure about nowadays.
4). Idk - but would be great if they did.
5).Yes
6). I like Southland a lot, think it is a great neighborhood.

I live in the 40503 zip code, and have for several decades...I liked the schools in the area,
and the whole area in general. Well kept - I mean people keep up their properties nicely, not much crime at all, good schools for the most part, can't think of a lot of negatives....Maybe the traffic at rush hour is the only thing, and I guess that is bad most places in the city, not anywhere near as bad, as some other cities where I have lived though. I am sure there are some others here who would have greater insight on most of these questions though.

Old 03-14-2013, 05:45 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,890,406 times
I agree with Crazee Cat Lady, and just want to add that your final paragraph is a pretty exact description of Chevy Chase, over in 40502. Schools are Cassidy, Morton, and Henry Clay, driving is easy to UK and downtown, two shopping centers and Woodland Park are within walking/biking distance, and house styles are quite varied. Prices are certainly holding their own at present in this older, well-established and very desirable neighborhood.

Old 03-18-2013, 08:31 AM

969 posts, read 2,819,082 times
Gardensprings has many duplexes. I would avoid being on a street with them or backing to them. Gardenside has two vibes to me. Alexandria Drive divides the neighborhood. The side closest to downtown is preferred.....at least from the buyers I have shown houses to out there and from having listings on both sides.

All neighborhoods go through cycles of decline. Some faster than others. Chevy Chase/Ashland Park are about the only ones that I see being the same in 40 years. That is parcially due to location and parcially due to the fact that with a price range of $300k to over a million dollars, those owners can afford to keep their houses up. Like CraigCreek said, it is a nice area, but my gut feeling is if you are looking at $150k neighborhoods, you can't really consider it?

Any neighborhood built before the 80's is probably going to have power lines.

40503 does have the best mix of good elementary, middle and high schools in your price range. Outside of that area, it is hard to get all the schools good. ACE, Hays, Henry Clay is a pretty good mix, but the neighborhoods in that district don't sound like anything you'd go for based on the housing styles you mentioned.

For the long term, my money is on Southland for you. I really like Gardenside, but most of the people moving into that area are younger people who I think will outgrow their houses rather than sink a lot of money in them to keep them up. Southland is pretty unique in location and having the stores on Southland Drive. Many of the houses are big enough for people to stay in long term. The price range is wider too than Gardenside, so I think there will be room for people to not over-improve their house or stay longer. There are also no external elements surrounding Southland to bring it down-All th surrounding neighborhoods are very stable. Not knocking on Gardenside at all since I generally recommend that neighborhood to all, but your 2043 statement makes me think it is not the best pick for your situation.

Old 03-20-2013, 07:14 PM

36 posts, read 81,970 times
Lexpert
I am also looking into moving to Lexington or surrounding areas next summer if get accepted to UK for grad school. I will be bringing my husband ( electrician) and my 3 kids,(4,7,13) We want to live on acreage and do not mind a 30 drive to town. BUT it would be a rental for the time I am in school. Any areas that you would suggest for country living with good schools
Thank you !

Old 03-21-2013, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenalogan View Post
Lexpert
I am also looking into moving to Lexington or surrounding areas next summer if I get accepted to UK for grad school. I will be bringing my husband ( electrician) and my 3 kids,(4,7,13) We want to live on acreage and do not mind a 30min. drive to town. It would be a rental for the time I am in school. Any areas that you would suggest for country living with good schools?
Thank you !
Sorry for not checking my spelling and grammar error prior to posting.

Old 03-21-2013, 08:40 AM

969 posts, read 2,819,082 times
Here is a link to the current school boundary maps. They say they are 2011-2012, but it also says on their website that there were no changes for 2012-2013. Area maps and feeder patterns.

Looks like you'll need a good elementary, middle and high school. That pretty much leaves southwest and southeast Fayette County for rural areas. First pick would be Rosa Parks, then Squires or Meadowthorpe for elementary schools. Most of the rural areas in those districts also go to good middle/high schools too. Not to disappoint you, but I think it might be tough finding a rental in a rural area. I don't see too many of those, especially in Fayette County.

You might also consider Scott County (Georgetown) or Woodford County (Versailles/Midway). Their schools seem to be pretty good and neither are far from Lexington.

Hope that helps!!

Old 03-21-2013, 01:29 PM

LExpert
Yes, thank you it was great help. Now I have a starting point.

Old 03-21-2013, 02:44 PM

14,767 posts, read 8,097,050 times
Hotpads includes houses and such for rent along with apartments on there site.

Hotpads

As does Zillow and Trulia

I live in the 40503 zip code, and the schools are pretty good there
My son went to Stonewall, but there is also Clays Mill Elementary and a new school
Wellington Elementary. Jessie Clark Middle and Lafayette. Dunbar and Henry Clay are also
really nice High Schools. (Lexpert is right, I think Rosa Parks probably has the best overall rep for an elementary school.)
You can read more about the local schools here:

Lexington Schools - Lexington Kentucky School Ratings - Public and Private

Old 03-27-2013, 09:33 AM

Thank you "all" for the help. I now have several areas to scoop out when we visit in the fall
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area