Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2008, 12:26 PM

23 posts, read 70,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toria View Post
I don't think of Lexington as having almost all chain restaurants, though there certainly are a bunch here....I think there's some excellent restaurants locally. What type of dining are you into that you can't find here?
Don't get me wrong, I like Lexington, I don't know where you grew up so don't know what your basis of comparison is. But, Lexington has a ton of restaurants, most of them bad. IMO there are only about 5 or 6 that are decent - Merrick, Sal's, Malone's, Regatta, and The Ketch are about as good as it gets. The rest are corporate chain restaurants and are mediocre at best, Appleby's, O'Charlies, Chili's are just a cut above fastfood.

Lexington is a young town compared to Chicago, Cincy, Cleveland, New York, New Orleans, etc and has little or no ethniticty when it comes to food. There's not a place in the whole city where you can get a decent pizza. There's no true Italian, German, Polish, or Greek restaurants. You can't even get a decent hotdog here. There not one good bread store anywhere, please don't say Great Harvest. While they do a pretty good job for their style of bread, it's all pretty much the same, and I do support them.

I will give props to Liquor Barn they are really trying to bring quality deli meats to Lexington and are really trying to get some good breads.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2008, 01:53 PM

528 posts, read 2,481,416 times
Portofino, a la lucie, Jonathan's at Gratz Park, Holly Hill, Mansion at Griffin Gate (never been there, though). I'm sure there are more I haven't been to, maybe we should start a favorite restaurant thread? .

It's not fair to compare a city the size of Lexington with Chicago, NYC, New Orleans, etc when discussing dining options. I'd be surprised if anyone stopping in here expected a dining scene that even comes close, whether it be ethnicity or just sheer numbers.

Old 01-10-2008, 02:26 PM

23 posts, read 70,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toria View Post
Portofino, a la lucie, Jonathan's at Gratz Park, Holly Hill, Mansion at Griffin Gate (never been there, though). I'm sure there are more I haven't been to, maybe we should start a favorite restaurant thread? .

It's not fair to compare a city the size of Lexington with Chicago, NYC, New Orleans, etc when discussing dining options. I'd be surprised if anyone stopping in here expected a dining scene that even comes close, whether it be ethnicity or just sheer numbers.
I'm not trying to compare them. Like I said, I like Lexington. I was simply responding to a question by someone who said they are from the city. The fact that they said cuisine, would make me think they are from a big city. I grew up in a big city and miss the food. There are a lot of things I don't miss, but I do miss the food. I was simply trying to convey that to the original poster.

Old 01-13-2008, 02:09 PM

22 posts, read 54,699 times
I'm from Lexington, but one thing I would say in defense of Louisville is that they do have:

1. A better parks system (Cherokee/Seneca/Iroquois etc..) than Lexington (Masterson, Jacobson etc.)

2. A better infrastructure:
* Expressway running through the city (including downtown)--whereas Lexington has an interstate but well outside of the downtown area. Also, Lexington's traffic is a bit of a nightmare for a city of 280,000. Granted, you'll get from Hamburg to Tates Creek quicker than you will from Woodland Hills CA to Anaheim CA during rushhour ()-- Lexington has developed a such a quick pace the highway/road system is a bit inadequate

3. More ecletic restaurants and arts/culture. Just bigger scale--because Louisville Metro (a.k.a. Jefferson Co. KY) is like 700,000 people.

Just my $.020320320

Old 01-13-2008, 02:24 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,480,204 times
The main thing for Lexington is crime is less concentrated and there are no really dangerous areas (dicey areas, yes), and if you really have a thing for horse farms.

That being said, most of Louisville (city and suburbs) are very safe, it's just crime is very concentrated in the West End and in the Shively area.

If historic neighborhoods, parks, and ethnic restaurants are more of your thing then Louisville is definitively the choice. I will say the hoagies are terrible compared to the real thing in Philly.

Old 01-13-2008, 08:10 PM

2,126 posts, read 6,804,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martysguy View Post
I'm from Lexington, but one thing I would say in defense of Louisville is that they do have:

1. A better parks system (Cherokee/Seneca/Iroquois etc..) than Lexington (Masterson, Jacobson etc.)

2. A better infrastructure:
* Expressway running through the city (including downtown)--whereas Lexington has an interstate but well outside of the downtown area. Also, Lexington's traffic is a bit of a nightmare for a city of 280,000. Granted, you'll get from Hamburg to Tates Creek quicker than you will from Woodland Hills CA to Anaheim CA during rushhour ()-- Lexington has developed a such a quick pace the highway/road system is a bit inadequate

3. More ecletic restaurants and arts/culture. Just bigger scale--because Louisville Metro (a.k.a. Jefferson Co. KY) is like 700,000 people.

Just my $.020320320

#2 is one of the best things about Lexington in my opinion. I-64 running right along the river in Louisville is a shame. The riverfront is destroyed essentially. Now they are spending untold millions to fix that problem. Cincinnati is a another city where putting multiple highways right through the city makes downtown unattractive and it breaks up the pedestrian flow of the city.

On #3, get ready to be educated on the true extent of the Louisville metro by city cheerleaders on this board.

Old 01-14-2008, 02:33 PM

52 posts, read 209,794 times
Default Thanks for the Lexington-or-Louisville commentary

Many thanks, folks! I appreciate the input on Lexington and Louisville.

- Zeno44

Old 01-14-2008, 03:40 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,747,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc76 View Post
#2 is one of the best things about Lexington in my opinion. I-64 running right along the river in Louisville is a shame. The riverfront is destroyed essentially. Now they are spending untold millions to fix that problem. Cincinnati is a another city where putting multiple highways right through the city makes downtown unattractive and it breaks up the pedestrian flow of the city.

On #3, get ready to be educated on the true extent of the Louisville metro by city cheerleaders on this board.
#3 Louisville Metro is the local government defined name for the merger of Jefferson County, KY and the old City of Louisville. The merged city-county has a 2006 Census Estimate of 701,500. However, since many cities still retain their identity in Jefferson County like St Matthews, the Census recognized population of Louisville is currently around 550,000. The Louisville Metropolitan Statistical Area (MSA) is around 1.25 million. In my opinion and according to others, MSA is a better judge of the scope of a city...Otherwise the city of Louisville would be bigger than Atlanta! Cheerleader signing out (note sarcasm )

Last edited by Peter1948; 01-14-2008 at 04:06 PM..

Old 01-20-2008, 11:01 PM

1 posts, read 2,884 times
Hey I like Lexington Ky. It has almost everything any normal family type people would want. As far as walks and parks, have you ever tried Natural Bridge State Park? It is wonderful! It is on the Mountain Parkway at Slade, Ky. I live about 10 miles from it and every year when my kids come in from WV they love to go to the Park. Marienky

Old 02-19-2008, 03:51 PM

3 posts, read 10,055 times
Lexington vs. Louisville huh?

I can see it, I lived in Shelbyville, and now live in Richmond.
Growth:
Lexington-Growth these days are faster here.
Louisville-Has slowed down alot.

Crime:
Lexington-Less
Louisville-More

Parks:
Louisville-Better
Lexington-Worse, but your closer to things like The Gorge, and Berea Pinnacles

Eating:
Louisville-More Unique, for now.
Lexington:Actually Lexington has 4 for every 1 of Louisville's "Chain Resturants". But I see alot of change in this growing city.

In the next couple decades I see more growth and a better life in Lexington, And I see Louisville shrinking.

And Madison county is a hell of alot cheaper to live in than Shelby County, Housing down here is amazing, and its just as pretty or not prettier than Shelby County down here, with and amazing view of the Appaliachians here in Richmond.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area