Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2007, 07:03 AM

2 posts, read 4,128 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone!

My husband and I are 29 and 31 and can't wait to leave the crime and heat of Houston. We are originally from West Virginia and have lived in Houston for 5 years. We have decided to move back closer to family and want to move to Lexington next Summer. We have read conflicting information about the best neighborhoods for young married couples getting ready to start a family. We are not first time home buyers and we are looking for a safe, friendly neighborhood with newer homes. I have heard that SW and SE are safest, but I see a lot of growth NW and NE. We could really use some honest information from those living there, so any help would be appreciated I have heard a lot about traffic, but after living in Houston traffic is not an issue. Here we have over 11 major highways running through and around Houston, all of which have construction and are jam packed, so Lexington's traffic can't possibly be worse Thanks everyone, we look forward to hearing from you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2007, 07:13 PM

1,727 posts, read 2,000,881 times
Hi,

Welcome!

I only have a second since I have to bring my daughter her dinner.

I'm pretty new here, but for new homes, I guess three main options come to my mind:

o Southwest (areas off of Harrodsburg, either 40513 or 40514 zip codes): these get you into really good school tracks, especially junior and high school

o Northwest (Hamburg/Andover, I think 40509): this is where you will find a lot of new houses and shopping; I really like heading over there - it reminds me a lot of Northern Virginia where I am from - but I was told I would have to consider private schools if I moved there. This may be changing with the construction of new schools, etc.?

o Also, there is the the area around Veterans Park Elementary school (zip 40515); the disadvantage there is that the middle and high schools are not as good.

have to run, but welcome!

Old 12-31-2007, 10:42 PM

486 posts, read 1,897,541 times
First off, welcome back and happy new year! You will find traffic here quite bad for a city of its size, but it will not be nearly as bad as Houston or Dallas. Be warned: Lexington people DO NOT know how to drive! I learned to drive in Indianapolis and Washington DC so I'm aggressive and have to be in that people DON'T know how to merge, people DON'T know the "zipper effect", and how to effectively move a traffic jam. I've driven in DC, New York, and Chicago and would rather drive there than here. I think the longest commute that I know of is about 30- 45 minutes from Jessamine County to Downtown Lexington. In terms of newer housing, here are my thoughts:

- 40509 (Hamburg) is obviously the first area that comes to mind. The schools will not be as good, but I have heard rumors of a new school coming to that area.

- Veteran's Park has a great elementary school, but the middle and high schools are Tates Creek and will not be as good as say Dunbar or Henry Clay. Hartland is a bit older, but still has some very nice homes.

- If your willing to pay a bit more, then you should check out neighborhoods like Firebrook, Beaumont, or Equestrian Woods located in SW Lexington and just across the county line in Jessamine County. A number of my good friends live around there and have never had a single problem with crime (I did hear about a bike and a GPS being stolen from a car, but just keep your car locked and you should be fine).

- I would avoid the north side of Lexington. Probably about 90% of Lexington's crime occurs in between Leestown Road and Bryan Station Road.

- Because I'm a Lexington native, I NEED to mention 40502- my "neck of the woods." These are gorgeous homes from the early 1900's- some needing more work than others. This is probably the most affluent area of town and prices tend to be higher. There is hardly any crime south of Richmond Road and I feel perfectly safe walking around at night even though this area is much further into the city. 40502 is home to the Cassidy- Morton- Henry Clay school district which ranks at the top along side with the Rosa Parks- Beaumont- Dunbar district.

A bit more about schools:

- Don't rule out private schools. Sayre (pre-k - 12), Lexington Christian (LCA, k- 12), and The Lexington School (k-8) are all very good schools as well. I'm currently a junior at Sayre (I'm 17) and can say that I've had a wonderful experience there, especially elementary school. It's very pricey, but well worth the expense for small classes and more individual attention. LCA and TLS are a bit larger, but you still get the small class sizes.

Let me know if you have any more questions!

Old 01-01-2008, 05:32 AM

528 posts, read 2,481,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teebird1012 View Post
- I would avoid the north side of Lexington. Probably about 90% of Lexington's crime occurs in between Leestown Road and Bryan Station Road.
I assume you're referring to Lexington proper - the area just between New Circle and I-75, correct? Because the north side of Lex/Fayette just beyond the interstate that has some of the most desirable real estate in the area.

Old 01-01-2008, 06:33 AM

820 posts, read 2,868,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toria View Post
I assume you're referring to Lexington proper - the area just between New Circle and I-75, correct? Because the north side of Lex/Fayette just beyond the interstate that has some of the most desirable real estate in the area.
I agree Toria. To indicate that all of north Lexington is crime ridden is a blanket statement. Not only is the area you point out considered a desirable area, there's others. On Leestown road, you have some very nice subdivisions - they're not as expensive as Firebrook or some areas in Hamburg. You also have the older areas off of Leestown Rd with some beauitful and established homes. There certainly are pockets of high crime areas on the north end, but I don't think anyone should cast a net to just a couple of areas in Lexington as being viable areas to live. There are many areas that each bring a different and distinct flavor depending on what one is looking for. Also, there was just a house infested with rats in a very pricey neighborhood! There are many considerations when choosing our homes and just as many opinions about what's good and what's not.

Old 01-01-2008, 07:31 AM

486 posts, read 1,897,541 times
OK let me rephrase then. It's pretty bad from Georgetown Road to B.S. Road and inside I75.

Old 01-01-2008, 11:23 AM

PS - teebird, I had to laugh because I know you're talking about my GPS being stolen

PPS - agree that teebird is in a/the most desirable zip code - 40502. Actually, I have noticed one or two new houses built in there - not sure if they tore down the former houses or if there were just empty lots.

Old 01-01-2008, 01:38 PM

528 posts, read 2,481,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teebird1012 View Post
OK let me rephrase then. It's pretty bad from Georgetown Road to B.S. Road and inside I75.

what about Newtown Pike and the area around the Marriott - all those expensive homes around the golf course certainly wouldn't fall into that description.

Old 01-01-2008, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toria View Post
what about Newtown Pike and the area around the Marriott - all those expensive homes around the golf course certainly wouldn't fall into that description.
That is exactly the area that comes to mind. I've never been through the gates, but it looks very nice.

Old 01-02-2008, 09:23 AM

714 posts, read 1,539,628 times
Houston- When you arrive in Lexington, If you would like to see some of the places being discussed, I am a Realtor and one that has lived here my whole life! I would be glad to help!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area