Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2017, 07:05 PM

10 posts, read 17,249 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are considering a move to Frankfort, along with our 4 kids. Our hopes is to find a large tract of land and build a house, 80+ acres. We are able to spend a good chunk of change on the land, upwards of $500K, but would love to spend less if possible. We love the outdoors, fishing, hunting, hiking, etc. We like a nice family community feel. How are the schools in Frankfort? We would prefer public, but if they are not good quality, we would consider private. In general is it a nice safe place to raise a family? We like the distance Frankfort is from Lexington. I am a stay at home mom and my husband works from home, so commute time isn't an issue. We spent a few months in Lexington in 2012, but it was in southwest area.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2017, 07:42 AM

Nobody has any information to share?

Old 01-30-2017, 12:37 PM

125 posts, read 184,286 times
If you are looking for great access to the outdoors, you might consider Winchester or Richmond. They will put you closer to the Daniel Boone National Forest and are about the same size as Frankfort. I would guess that public schools in all three cities are pretty comparable but i would check the GreatSchools website to compare.

Frankfort does have good access to a few state WMA nearby and is right on the Kentucky river if you have a boat. Elkhorn creek is nearby and have great fishing and canoeing, although public access is somewhat limited.

Old 01-30-2017, 05:21 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,468,595 times
Frankfort is more blue collar than most of the Bluegrass region. There is a bit of crime and grit, nothing too bad though. Schools would be ok to good. I personally like Frankfort and it's river town feel (kind of like a mini Pittsburgh) but many people prefer more yuppie friendly nearby towns like Georgetown, Lawrenceburg, and Shelbyville. A good number work in Frankfort but live in Lexington. There is a nice trail that goes from the river to the top of a hill, other hiking options further away. There are tons of deer and turkey in that area. Kentucky River is good for fishing, nearest good lakes are Guist Creek Lake and Taylorsville Lake.

Old 01-30-2017, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
Frankfort is more blue collar than most of the Bluegrass region. There is a bit of crime and grit, nothing too bad though. Schools would be ok to good. I personally like Frankfort and it's river town feel (kind of like a mini Pittsburgh) but many people prefer more yuppie friendly nearby towns like Georgetown, Lawrenceburg, and Shelbyville.
We actually have lived in Pittsburgh for a number of years, years ago, so that might be a great thing for us!

We are not yuppie people to say the least, however, we want a nice rural place to live with amenities near by (Frankfort) and a larger city (Lexington) within reach. Does this sound like it fits the bill? It looks like that to me as I do online research, but I'd like to know first hand from locals(ish).

We currently live about 45 minutes outside of Cincinnati, with a city where we can do most of our shopping and such only 15-20 minutes away. We love our location right now, as far as that's concerned. However, the small town we are in is too small and very poor (for a lack of better words).

Thanks for your responses!!

Old 02-01-2017, 08:34 AM

12,003 posts, read 11,893,031 times
Since you live fairly close to central Kentucky, I'd suggest coming down for a weekend and checking Frankfort out in person. It's a bit bleak and gray here at present - typical of late winter - but give it another six weeks and spring will be arriving abundantly.

Frankfort is a historic town, with a university and of course state government to add to its character. Downtown is located along the Kentucky River, whose banks rise up hundreds of feet, quite spectacularly. There are numerous cultural attractions in Frankfort - the Kentucky history museum, historic houses, an excellent public library, stage performances of various kinds, and more.

Public schools are decent - of course, being an involved parent helps keep them responsive.

So come visit and get a feel for Frankfort and the surrounding area. It may be just what you are seeking.

Old 02-01-2017, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
Since you live fairly close to central Kentucky, I'd suggest coming down for a weekend and checking Frankfort out in person. It's a bit bleak and gray here at present - typical of late winter - but give it another six weeks and spring will be arriving abundantly.

Frankfort is a historic town, with a university and of course state government to add to its character. Downtown is located along the Kentucky River, whose banks rise up hundreds of feet, quite spectacularly. There are numerous cultural attractions in Frankfort - the Kentucky history museum, historic houses, an excellent public library, stage performances of various kinds, and more.

Public schools are decent - of course, being an involved parent helps keep them responsive.

So come visit and get a feel for Frankfort and the surrounding area. It may be just what you are seeking.
Thank you, that's great advice and was actually on our minds too!

Old 02-06-2017, 02:42 PM

258 posts, read 299,607 times
I grew up in Frankfort, and I currently live in Cincinnati (but am trying to move back to Frankfort -provided I can find a decent job).

I am partial to the West side of town. Both sides of town have their individual issues, but I always felt like the West side was a little less crowded and not quite as "gritty" as a previous poster mentioned. I feel like the houses (with exception to Two Creeks CC) were kept up better, as well. I would have to disagree with the comparison to Pittsburgh. While there is a nice riverwalk area, I never felt like I was growing up in a "river town." Frankfort has done a lot in the last 10 years to build upon its wealth of history, and there are a ton of things to do downtown. As far as schools, I went through the public school system there and felt it was good. My parents were also very involved with my education, so that played a big part, as well. I did have friends that went to the parochial schools, and I didn't feel there was much of a learning gap (this may have changed in the last 20 years).

If you are looking for a more rural setting, I might suggest Lawrenceburg. Still not that far away from Lexington or Louisville. The schools are decent and they have several activities throughout the year for families. Paris is within an easy drive to Lexington, as well. Oldham county is next to Louisville, and has some of the best schools in the state. I doubt you would be able to buy as much acreage there as you described, however.

If you have any questions about neighborhoods/areas in Frankfort, feel free to pm me.

Old 02-06-2017, 05:33 PM

811 posts, read 888,188 times
Frankfort is an awesome little town full of friendly folks. It seems like around every corner is a Kentucky History Marker...Liberty House, Old State Capital, the current State Capital. Love all the Magnolia lined streets and historic feel. Also, the cemetery overlooking the State Capital building where Daniel Boone is buried is amazing to walk around and see all the history.

I will admit that Frankfort has a certain grit to it and it is surely more blue collar, but that is what gives the city so much character, in my opinion. I have no idea what the public or private schools are like, so cannot comment on them. There is a decent amount of shopping on both sides of town that take care of the necessities such as a Walmart and Kmart, JCP, Petco, Tractor Supply, Kohls, TJ Maxx, etc. What you cannot find in Frankfort, Lexington has only 25 minutes away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area