Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2008, 06:33 PM

820 posts, read 2,868,302 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayberrybound View Post
Well it's good to see there is a bit of hope for a pizza outside of Papa Johns and Domino's. My husband and I make our share of home made pizza out of desperation. I had a friend who Fed Ex'ed me a pizza for my birthday once from Chicago to New Mexico...,God Bless Her! Well at least the shipping charges will be cheaper.

Oh yes, the schools you mentioned in the Southland area I saw listed as best choice schools on these boards. Is this correct? And is this area adjacent to any crime areas.
I seem to get mixed information about crime. Sometimes it sounds non-existent, and then I hear about trouble right around the corner. What is your take on this.

I'd like to ask more, but I'm thinking about pizza now.
Mayberry, Southland is a safer and older neighborhood. My own children attended/attend Jessie Clark and Lafayette. They went to Stonewall Elementary. In talking about that area - Clays Mill - there's Southland which emcompasses a fairly large area around Southland Park. It isn't "adjacent" to any high crime area. Clays Mill road is a mixture of older and newer neighborhoods, but all thought of as being safe. When you get on up Clays Mill closer to where it intersects Harrodsburg road, you get into some older and small homes including some rental property. The area that was mentioned is actually an area that I had suggested to Micah Girl that they investigate. You can get more house for your money in that area - just have to be a bit particular. Some of the houses have been updated while you might find one that is a bit more run down and has been a rental, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2008, 09:22 PM

26 posts, read 89,572 times
Just to confirm, you are right there are no Catholic churches in Wilmore. It's a small town centered around two different religious schools (Asbury College and Asbury Seminary - separately owned schools who happen to share the same first name). Both schools have historically had a high United Methodist population, but they are technically non-demoninational. The town seems to be largely Protestant. (That's just an observation, not based on hard data.)

Old 04-20-2008, 12:36 AM

30 posts, read 146,091 times
Thanks for the information. It's like a big puzzel you have to put together. If we were outside of Lexington, I'd really like to be somewhere with a Catholic Church right in the same town. Do you know anything about the Catholic Church in Southland area? And is there a movie theater close by? Or any good museums in town?

Hey, just to change the subject, how much did you folks feel the earthquake"?

Old 04-20-2008, 07:09 AM

820 posts, read 2,868,302 times
Quote:
Thanks for the information. It's like a big puzzel you have to put together. If we were outside of Lexington, I'd really like to be somewhere with a Catholic Church right in the same town. Do you know anything about the Catholic Church in Southland area? And is there a movie theater close by? Or any good museums in town?

Hey, just to change the subject, how much did you folks feel the earthquake"?
The earthquake "shook" us... that's for sure. It woke me and most of the people up. We're not use to earthquakes here, so it was a bit puzzling for most of us. Although we knew it felt like an earthquake with the bed shaking, windows rattling, etc., most people first thought of tornadoes. However, it wasn't storming. It caused a lot of water cooler talk all day!

I know you're looking for a more othodox Catholic Church and hopefully someone that's closer to the subject can weigh in. I believe from the folks that I know that are catholic that St Peters which is downtown might be the more orthodox church of the Catholic faith here in town. I would recommend that you call any church that is in an area that you might be interested in and speak with them directly about their traditions, practices, etc. I only know a couple of families closely that attend the church on Clays Mill and I have a feeling that it's more middle of the road. Obviously, your church home is an important part of a moving decision and I respect that enormously.

Old 04-20-2008, 10:48 AM

Well I'm sorry you all had such a scary experience with the earthquake the other day. I had always heard about that fault line, but was not sure who all it effected.

Thank you for the church information. I have been in a number of churches in our state and know that what comes from the pulpit in one is not alway the same in another, even though it is the same denomination. I will have to make some calls and start doing
my homework. That was one of the things I liked about Kentucky, was that it seemed to be a very Christian state. My hope these days is that all Christian/Catholics could get along. I don't want to leave one place to have my children be odd man out in another. My hope would be that there would be a better influence in your state for our kids. ---------

Ok, I didn't mean to get too serious..., What about Chinese Food, any good egg foo young?

Old 04-20-2008, 11:50 AM

216 posts, read 1,185,437 times
Quote:
That was one of the things I liked about Kentucky, was that it seemed to be a very Christian state. My hope these days is that all Christian/Catholics could get along. I don't want to leave one place to have my children be odd man out in another. My hope would be that there would be a better influence in your state for our kids. ---------
Aren't Catholics Christians?

Old 04-20-2008, 04:52 PM

Of course Catholics are Christians, but many people seem to seperate that fact among denominations. I grew up Protestant with a Southern Baptist parent so I know first hand that many non Catholic Christians seperate themselves from Catholic Christians. Well that's how all the denomiations started right. I've been to Christian retreats visiting friends where I read anti-Catholic papers on their coffee tables. I realize that all groups are not like this, but I also realize some are, and that is their right.
I often have heard people say are you Catholic or Christian? So that is why I say them both, so I don't throw anyone off. Didn't mean to be confusing.
I appreciate a good Priest or Preacher from any Church!

Old 04-20-2008, 06:45 PM

216 posts, read 1,185,437 times
Quote:
Of course Catholics are Christians, but many people seem to seperate that fact among denominations. I grew up Protestant with a Southern Baptist parent so I know first hand that many non Catholic Christians seperate themselves from Catholic Christians. Well that's how all the denomiations started right. I've been to Christian retreats visiting friends where I read anti-Catholic papers on their coffee tables. I realize that all groups are not like this, but I also realize some are, and that is their right.
I often have heard people say are you Catholic or Christian? So that is why I say them both, so I don't throw anyone off. Didn't mean to be confusing.
I appreciate a good Priest or Preacher from any Church!
Hum...that's interesting. I had no idea that this type of thinking was still around! I know there are different denominations, but to think that people are still "anti" each other because of their faith? Wow.

Good citizens of Lexington, is this still going on there?

Old 04-21-2008, 10:03 AM

486 posts, read 1,896,976 times
I don't want to get too deep here in religious argument, but I will add on Chinese food. There are two great Chinese restaurants that I go to: Mandarin on Nicholasville Road and Hunan on Southland Drive just off of Nicholasville Road. Both have great food in my opinion. Obviously they don't compare to Chinese food in larger cities like Chicago, but for what it's worth, they are quite good. I worked at Tomo Restaurant on High Street for a summer job and it's a terrific (pricey) Japanese restaurant run by a couple from Japan and Korea. There are a number of hibachi grill restaurant here, but Tomo and Seki on Broadway are about as authentic as you will find within a 300 mile radius of Lexington. Lexington does have a wide variety of restaurant for a city of its size, something my family from Indianapolis loves when they come here. They love all of the locally owned restaurants here.

Old 04-21-2008, 01:25 PM

Thank you Teebird1012, I had no intent in getting into anything to deep myself. Just looking for some basic facts about the area, people are different all across the country. I have been checking a few states out and am trying to figure out where we would fit in best. I don't have time to beat around the bush so I just ask the questions flat out. I don't take it personal if someone tells me it's one way or another. Just makes it easier to make an honest choice about where we should move.
Now as far as Chinese food, it's great to hear you have some. I am surprised that there are so many places to eat out there. The more I research the area, it seems alot like Colorado Springs, Colorado. But Lexington is much more affordable. Anyone out there who have actually been to both towns?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area