Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2021, 03:08 AM

14,766 posts, read 8,093,254 times

Advertisements

Scary stuff. There is a huge uptick in violent crime across America right now.

https://www.bbc.com/news/57581270

But, it's violent crime and murder that is up all over America. Not crime in general.
https://www.vox.com/22578430/murder-...id-19-pandemic
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2021, 02:44 AM

7,070 posts, read 16,734,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazee Cat Lady View Post
Don't even begin to try to put down Lexington while touting Louisville in regards to crime rate.
Even though there has been a huge increase in violent crime
There is still no comparison. Even in 2021 Louisville still has over double our crime rate. It has more than twice as many violent crimes as the US national average.

Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site
This isn't a versus thread. Lexington has significant violent crime and is very dangerous in many parts. That's concerning for a smallish college town.

You cannot compare it to major cities and nowhere did I mention Louisville, your supposed hometown.

Overall, all of KY is safe. The uptick in crime in major cities is squarely related to Covid and riots. It will come down with new leadership, Lex included. Lexington has some scary crime this year it WILL get worse until Covid is over and social unrest and financial security improve for all. Inequality is very high!

Last edited by Yac; 09-14-2021 at 11:00 PM..

Old 09-14-2021, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
This isn't a versus thread. Lexington has significant violent crime and is very dangerous in many parts. That's concerning for a smallish college town.

You cannot compare it to major cities and nowhere did I mention Louisville, your supposed hometown.

Overall, all of KY is safe. The uptick in crime in major cities is squarely related to Covid and riots. It will come down with new leadership, Lex included. Lexington has some scary crime this year it WILL get worse until Covid is over and social unrest and financial security improve for all. Inequality is very high!

Yes there has been a serious uptick in crime, especially violent crime and shootings
in the Lexington area.
Growing pains maybe. I myself, like others are a bit concerned about it.
I was just taken aback by your comments on the terrible violence of Lexington when Louisville has twice the amount of crime of
Lexington or America in general. You fail to see the irony?

And 'smallish college town"...Lexington is nowhere near as large as Louisville granted, but we have a Metro Area of over 600,000 people now...
that is larger than either Cincinnati or St Louis.

https://www.kentucky.com/news/state/...242907571.html
Louisville is my home town, where I grew up mostly....lived there for almost three decades. For a city it has a lot going for it,
a wonderful park system, lots of things to see and do, etc...but I would be blind if I would say it was perfect, it has it's problems.
One of them is a crime rate that makes ours look small. I would have to be blind or wearing rose colored glasses to say otherwise.
As much as I loved growing up there, I wouldn't care to move back any more.

Old 09-14-2021, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazee Cat Lady View Post
Yes there has been a serious uptick in crime, especially violent crime and shootings
in the Lexington area.
Growing pains maybe. I myself, like others are a bit concerned about it.
I was just taken aback by your comments on the terrible violence of Lexington when Louisville has twice the amount of crime of
Lexington or America in general. You fail to see the irony?

And 'smallish college town"...Lexington is nowhere near as large as Louisville granted, but we have a Metro Area of over 600,000 people now...
that is larger than either Cincinnati or St Louis.

https://www.kentucky.com/news/state/...242907571.html
Louisville is my home town, where I grew up mostly....lived there for almost three decades. For a city it has a lot going for it,
a wonderful park system, lots of things to see and do, etc...but I would be blind if I would say it was perfect, it has it's problems.
One of them is a crime rate that makes ours look small. I would have to be blind or wearing rose colored glasses to say otherwise.
As much as I loved growing up there, I wouldn't care to move back any more.
I have not seen any stats where Louisville has that high of crime.

And comparing Lexington to Atlanta or Cincinnati is LAUGHABLE. You know darn well that Lexington has an overinflated population because it is including far fetched suburbs and even thousands of rural residents and farms whereas those other two cities have the same population as Lexington's entire COUNTY just downtown.

The only fair way to compare cities is by MSA. In which case, yes Lexington is a small town. It's a very small town actually. So small that it can be explored in one day. Louisville's population is also overinflated, but less so than Lexington and doesn't even include the whole county, far from it.

That said, Lex is actually getting really nice. The amount of urban culture is pretty impressive for a smallish college town, but at the end of the day, that's what it is. I am most impressed with some of the neighborhood infill and rehabs of warehouses into music venues and breweries. That's a page out of Madison, WI book.

Lexington has a ton of crime for a small town without the amenities of a major city. This thread has zero to do with Louisville which was, just ten years ago, a top ten safe major city. I am not sure what the stats show now but that should rapidly change but I agree both KY major cities have crime far too high for their size.

Old 09-15-2021, 12:27 PM

Quote:
I have not seen any stats where Louisville has that high of crime.

Go back one page to my post where I showed A graph of the crime stats.

(Post 10 of this thread) but that is okay, you see only what you want to see.

I am not going to go back and forth with you here on that, as Louisville violence isn't really
the topic of this thread.

Old 09-15-2021, 01:59 PM

Default Gun-related homicides in Lexington up 67% from same time last year

Quote:
LEXINGTON, Ky. (WKYT)
Gun-related homicides in Lexington up 67% from same time last year

- Gun violence is increasing across the nation and those numbers are ticking up in Lexington.
So far, there have been at least 20 homicides this year. Last year, around this time there were 12 gun-related homicides. And the year before that 9.
The Lexington Police Department reports at least 78 people have been shot this year. Police are still looking for suspects in more than half of those shootings.
“Nothing had changed. The conditions in the neighborhoods are still the same,” said Logan Avritt, program director for FCPS’s M.A.D.E.

read the rest of the article here
https://www.wkyt.com/2021/06/23/gun-...ime-last-year/
The article goes on to say that during the pandemic gun sales rose a lot...so now more people have access to guns. But I think maybe it has to be more than that. 67 percent is a lot.

The article here says some of it is gang violence but a lot of it is other things
https://www.kentucky.com/news/local/...250843294.html

Old 09-18-2021, 05:54 AM

20,124 posts, read 16,144,906 times
Louisville is not the topic. Future posts that discuss Louisville will be deleted, regardless of what else they say.

Old 09-20-2021, 09:28 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,462,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
It's growing quickly, too quickly IMO. With fast growth and a higher population usually more crime and more violent crime isn't too far away. I can almost bet now that there will be another overnight shooting or stabbing, almost every night or at least a few times a week. Lexington and it's surrounding towns were the fastest growing area of KY in the 2020 census and it's showing it in a bad way
Lexington has been growing rapidly for 100+ years and never had a major violent crime uptick until now. The city was growing rapidly in the 1990s and murders rarely exceeded 15 per year, even after the 1994 race riots. I think the key is how many shootings are gang related. Lexington did not have a gang problem when I went to school there. Gang problems make shootings much less personal. I suspect there is now more of a true gang presence in Lexington. Tyson Gay's daughter was killed by a stray bullet. I went to high school with him and had many classes with his wife (girl's step mother). Very sad.

Old 09-22-2021, 01:41 AM

17,338 posts, read 11,262,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
Lexington has been growing rapidly for 100+ years and never had a major violent crime uptick until now. The city was growing rapidly in the 1990s and murders rarely exceeded 15 per year, even after the 1994 race riots. I think the key is how many shootings are gang related. Lexington did not have a gang problem when I went to school there. Gang problems make shootings much less personal. I suspect there is now more of a true gang presence in Lexington. Tyson Gay's daughter was killed by a stray bullet. I went to high school with him and had many classes with his wife (girl's step mother). Very sad.
Agreed. It's just my opinion that Lexington has reached the tipping point where it has become large enough to attract gangs and all the negative aspects that brings with it. I've seen it happen before, where a small city with relatively low crime will grow at a good rate and then with the larger population comes gangs. I hope I'm wrong about this, but once that happens there's almost no turning back. Getting rid of established gangs is almost impossible. You learn to live with the crime and shootings and hope you're not at the wrong place at the wrong time.

Old 09-23-2021, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
Agreed. It's just my opinion that Lexington has reached the tipping point where it has become large enough to attract gangs and all the negative aspects that brings with it. I've seen it happen before, where a small city with relatively low crime will grow at a good rate and then with the larger population comes gangs. I hope I'm wrong about this, but once that happens there's almost no turning back. Getting rid of established gangs is almost impossible. You learn to live with the crime and shootings and hope you're not at the wrong place at the wrong time.
Agreed. Lexington has some ills of cities with few of the amenities of a major multinodal metro. At its core, if you aren't all about UK, you just do not fit in there. Almost everything in that town revolves around the university.

That said, Lex is overall a nice town for those that like smaller southern college towns. I'd much prefer Lex to cohorts in its size range.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area