Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2008, 06:06 PM

5 posts, read 23,150 times

Advertisements

Where does one go for home-type restaurants in Lexington? Lived here all my life, and still can't find restaurants with real food. Most chains are simply clones of one another; Applebees, Raffertys, TGIFridays, etc. There exists a super-super abundance of Mexican and Italian thingies. I can find the occasional hole-in-the-wall restaurant with decent food, but usually not quite clean, or music blaring directly overhead, or TV's in every corner. Am looking for White Table Cloths and heavy tableware, no music .. or at least muted elevator style. Liver and onions .. where? Stewed pork ribs .. where? Pot roast, carrots and taters with gravy over cornbread ... where? I'm sick of the typical Chef du Jour presentations of artwork that does nothing for taste. Who cares about Lyonnaise, Marinades, Blackened this or that, Pear & Guava Chutney? Where is the real, eatable, delicous tasting, home cooked food? I want to eat out for the sake of good eating, not merely to impress clients with a Bibb Lettuce salad at Merrick Inn. Most readers aren't going to remember places like Rogers, Stirrup Cup, Saratoga, Golden Horseshoe, or the grand-eloquent Lafayette Hotel dining room.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2008, 10:07 PM

1,714 posts, read 6,061,689 times
Well, Spindletop comes to mind, but you gotta belong. Could be worth it, though.

Ramsey's has great home cooking, but no white tablecloths or heavy silverware.

Golly, the Saratoga used to be good, didn't it?

Old 09-30-2008, 04:38 AM

891 posts, read 3,057,043 times
Home style cooking but no white tablecloths-Suggins.
Yes, I remember Rogers quite fondly. I do wish we had more places like that

Old 09-30-2008, 08:37 AM

34,269 posts, read 18,649,724 times
Check out this thread. Its a great list of local restaurants.

The ULTIMATE GUIDE to Local Lexington Food!

You sound like you want home style cooking and white tablecloths. That usually doesn't go together.

The restaurants I seemed to hit most when I am in Lex are:

Ramsey's - I like the High St. location. Home style cooking.
Rossi's - Fine dining, no music, interesting menu.
Malones and Sals - Owned by the same people. Great steak houses.
The Atomic Cafe - Caribbean flair, great patio, get the sampler appetizer.
Buddy's - Nice neighborhood place in Chevy Chase
Portofino's - Fine dining downtown.

Old 10-04-2008, 10:32 PM

10 posts, read 36,427 times
Columbia Steak House is only ONE restaurant! Also.. try go outside of lexington deep into the country.. that's PURE home style cooking

Old 10-05-2008, 05:51 PM

486 posts, read 1,899,783 times
Columbia's has two locations- one on Limestone and one on Richmond Road.

Old 10-05-2008, 07:25 PM

10 posts, read 36,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teebird1012 View Post
Columbia's has two locations- one on Limestone and one on Richmond Road.

For real? wow.. but one on limestone is older right? I barely go to Richmond Rd.. .i heard that it has changed a lot

Old 10-06-2008, 03:27 PM

486 posts, read 1,899,783 times
Yeah Lime is older, I've never been to the one on Richmond Road, but a friend of mine was served a hollow steak...

Old 10-10-2008, 10:11 PM

168 posts, read 788,407 times
I love Ramseys, for dinner you can choose a "meat and 3," which is pretty self explanatory (meat + 3 sides) for about $12 or less. Meats include meatloaf, catfish, livers, country fried steak, and pot roast to name a few. Some sides are mashed potatoes & gravy, yellow squash & onions, fried okra, sauteed spinach, apple fritters and a ton more. I love it. And of course, there's always the hot brown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area