Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Little Rock - Conway area
 [Register]
Little Rock - Conway area Pulaski, Faulkner, Grant, Lonoke, Perry, and Saline Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2012, 10:10 AM

2 posts, read 7,683 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know the location of the now defunct Spivey Chevrolet in Benton, AR? I have a 1956 Chevrolet Bel Air that was originally purchased there and am trying to find the original location of the dealer. Anyone who can provide this location would be of huge help to me.

I have torn apart Google trying to figure it out. I have two leads, one suggesting [620 S. East Street Benton, AR 72015] which is now Bailey Motors LLC, and another suggesting the corner of N East and E Sevier St. Using Google maps as a reference though, nothing on that intersection looks anything like an auto dealer. But then again things coul dhave changed. Does anyone remember where Spivey Chevrolet was?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2012, 06:41 PM

5,981 posts, read 18,271,623 times
I don't remember it, but there is a Patrick Spivey who is a veterinarian there in Benton...and a Rick Spivey who is an insurance agent. Maybe one of the older salvage yards could help? Or the library - those librarians can find ANYTHING.

Sorry I can't be of more assistance - just a couple of thoughts that popped into my head.

Old 05-08-2012, 07:14 PM

807 posts, read 2,515,798 times
The last place I remember the Chevrolet place in Benton being was the South East location. It was on Highway 35 heading out of town towards Sheridan before a big dealership was built out on I-30.

The East and Sevier address may have been the original location. Just a guess though because I'm not from there.

Old 08-06-2012, 02:44 PM

2 posts, read 7,546 times
I remember where Spivey Chevrolet was. It took up the entire outside corner of East and Edison. After they closed most everything was torn down. I think Lewis Lumber owns anything that was left. Perhaps their lighting store at that location is left over. Allen is correct, once the dealerships were built on I-30, they were put out of business.

Old 08-12-2012, 08:41 AM

2 posts, read 7,571 times
Default Spivey Chevrolet Location

Well like most small town businesses the location was know to all the local customers so why give a specific address I do believe it was either on the corner of East St & E. Sevier or the first business to the West on the North side of E. Sevier St. I know my Dad & I were on the showroom floor looking at a 1957 4 door BelAir (The Beautiful Green & White one) and my Dad said "I'd buy that car but I don't know how to get it out of here." Well the salesman said he would be happy to do that for him. My Dad Bought IT!!!!
I am trying to attach a photo scanned from my 1962 High School Yearbook that shows the inside of the showroom there and a 1962 Chevrolet that just might be the same one my Mom bought from there. I LOVED the blue colored hubcap centers, that was just the Greatest color Ever!!!
Okay I have also attached a photo of the 1957 Cherolet with my Mom & our neighbor standing in front of it.
Also I have attached a Google Earth shot of the Building Now where Spivey used to be. It later moved to the corner of East & Edison (Hwy 35) and I remember my old girlfriend's brother Fred Welch worked there as a Mechanic. I took my 1966 Chevrolet Malibu (327 HO, 4 speed, posi-traction, 2 door) there for a tune up while visiting from CA in 1967.
Attached Thumbnails
Spivey Chevrolet in Benton, AR?-img002.jpg   Spivey Chevrolet in Benton, AR?-img034.jpg   Spivey Chevrolet in Benton, AR?-spivey-now.jpg  

Old 08-12-2012, 09:00 AM

2 posts, read 7,571 times
Just one more note. That corner was home to Beavers Hardware for many years before that furniture store opened there. I sure miss Beavers... It was a REAL Hardware store. You know the kind where if you asked them a question they had the answer ... not just a blank look on their face like "Dude, don't ask me... I just show up to get paid Dude!"

Old 08-13-2012, 03:53 PM

807 posts, read 2,515,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Straight8 View Post
Well like most small town businesses the location was know to all the local customers so why give a specific address I do believe it was either on the corner of East St & E. Sevier or the first business to the West on the North side of E. Sevier St. I know my Dad & I were on the showroom floor looking at a 1957 4 door BelAir (The Beautiful Green & White one) and my Dad said "I'd buy that car but I don't know how to get it out of here." Well the salesman said he would be happy to do that for him. My Dad Bought IT!!!!
I am trying to attach a photo scanned from my 1962 High School Yearbook that shows the inside of the showroom there and a 1962 Chevrolet that just might be the same one my Mom bought from there. I LOVED the blue colored hubcap centers, that was just the Greatest color Ever!!!
Okay I have also attached a photo of the 1957 Cherolet with my Mom & our neighbor standing in front of it.
Also I have attached a Google Earth shot of the Building Now where Spivey used to be. It later moved to the corner of East & Edison (Hwy 35) and I remember my old girlfriend's brother Fred Welch worked there as a Mechanic. I took my 1966 Chevrolet Malibu (327 HO, 4 speed, posi-traction, 2 door) there for a tune up while visiting from CA in 1967.
Would this original location have been on on US 67 at the time?

Old 08-29-2012, 04:48 PM

2 posts, read 7,546 times
Default Spivey update

My mother and long time Saline county resident said she recalls the original location a block down from Cleo's at the location of North American Marine Jet but still on E. Sevier.

Old 09-11-2012, 08:56 PM

2 posts, read 7,683 times
Straight8 - I really appreciate that great info... and what a cool '57 as well! For the heck of it, here is my '56 Bel Air that was purchased at Spivey Chevrolet. I just completed the full restoration a couple months ago. This is a little "before and after" pic.

So from what I have gathered here, the original Spivey Chevrolet building no longer exists?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Little Rock - Conway area