Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Little Rock - Conway area
 [Register]
Little Rock - Conway area Pulaski, Faulkner, Grant, Lonoke, Perry, and Saline Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2024, 07:45 PM

24,095 posts, read 32,437,200 times

Advertisements

Hi! We are visiting Little Rock for four days this month.

Yes, I know I can look these things up on the internet, but sometimes I find asking locals for advice always gives an interesting and fresh perspective.

I haven't been there for 6-7 years, so things change. My husband's company wants to put us up in a La Quinta, but we can pay the difference if we want to stay someplace less generic with more local and regional flavor. Nothing wrong with La Quintas, just been there done that.

Any very LR hotels that are interesting or in a walkable place, maybe where we might be able to hear some music? Bars are fine, we like a good drink.

We want to taste regional cuisine at it's best. The one problem (please don't hate me) is that I am a pescatarian. Not a vegetarian of vegan, but I just don't eat meat. I know, I know, meat is big in Arkansas. My husband is flexible with what he eats.

We'd like a place that doesn't put bacon in everything. Or that would happily accommodate me if I asked if the shrimp and grits have bacon or ham in them. I have them when I visit Myrtle Beach SC, and they don't seem to add meat. Up in Ohio, they do. I have stopped asking.

Besides pork and barbecue what else is Little Rock known for? What about great desserts? A good place to have brunch? I know that the opening scene of "Designing Women" that depicted a charming Victorian house is in LR. Is there a tour of that neighborhood?

I know as with any city, there are ethnic restaurants. I can eat Thia or Indian food in Cleveland, though.

We want to visit a historic or regional site. What is a must-see place that you take visitors to when they are in town? Is it Spring like there? Are there any outdoor places - parks, etc. - within Little Rock? Or right outside?

DH is on business, but he usually only goes on trips in the Midwest and PA. Neither are much different than where we live, so I usually don't go along.

I am excited about this trip, though! Right now in Northern Ohio, it's snowing and there is a blizzard alert.

We are arriving on Saturday the 16th. I just realized that I will be St. Patrick's Day. Is that celebrated much in Little Rock? If so, where would you go?

Any advice is appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2024, 04:25 PM

83 posts, read 174,050 times
sheena12 - apologies that no one responded before your trip, but city-data has pretty low traffic compared to other resources, like Reddit (r/LittleRock). In spite of zero feedback, how was your trip?

Old 03-27-2024, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW335i View Post
sheena12 - apologies that no one responded before your trip, but city-data has pretty low traffic compared to other resources, like Reddit (r/LittleRock). In spite of zero feedback, how was your trip?
This is strange but the trip was postponed until the middle of April. We we be staying one week instead. This time it will be longer - one week.

I am giving you rep for responding, though. I see that this is a low traffic area. Is there a better place to post? I appreciate your response.

Old 03-28-2024, 09:45 AM

1,847 posts, read 867,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Is there a better place to post?

He mentioned r/LittleRock, which is on Reddit.

I'm following because we are flying in to LR for the eclipse next Saturday, although ultimately we are staying in Fairfield Bay for the week.

Old 03-29-2024, 07:20 AM

We think we are staying at the Capital Hotel. It looks charming and elegant, and it will give us a distinctly Little Rock, Southern experience. https://www.capitalhotel.com/stay/

It's right in the middle of things, has a restaurant and lounge on premises. We don't want a chain.

Old 03-29-2024, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
We don't want a chain.
When we travel, we also try to stay somewhere unique, and only eat at places we can't get at home.

Old 03-30-2024, 09:38 AM

530 posts, read 820,596 times
Yeah, this is low traffice forum. You've probably gotten places to see figured out by now, but here's my 2 cents. Places that visitors are usually told about: Central High, the Clinton Museum, the Old Mill, Pinnacle Mountain. If you're a biker or walker go to the Big Dam Bridge or the River trail.

The River Market District can be interesting. Lots of restaurants there. Arkansas is known for its catfish. In my opinion, the best place for fish in LR is Lassi's. It's in an out of the way location near downtown. It's in what looks like an old house. Not even remotely fancy. It's local flavor and Arkansas. Other places for seafood or catfish - The Flying Fish in the River Market District and Eat My Catfish which while acceptable, isn't as good imho as Lassi's or Flying Fish. It has a couple of locations. Cheese dip is said to have been invented in Arkansas. Having recently moved away from LR, I have noticed that I miss the variety and quality of cheese dip I had in LR. David's Family Kitchen on Broadway is another very casual place for a local feel. It's a very good soul food restaurant with a small menu that changes daily. Good desserts. It's only open for breakfast and lunch and I think it's closed on Monday. I think they have catfish on Friday.

Hillcrest and The Heights are two cool neighborhoods to check out. They're both along Kavanaugh Blvd and have lots of restaurants.
Also, maybe the museum in MacArthur Park in downtown. I think the Capitol Hotel is near the Old State Capitol which could be interesting to visit.

Old 04-01-2024, 09:02 AM

Thank you for the info! Looks like we will have a down day next week so we are going to come check it out.

Old 04-01-2024, 12:47 PM

2,602 posts, read 1,205,579 times
Faded Rose
1619 Rebsamen Park Rd, Little Rock, AR 72202
https://thefadedrose.com/

Maddies Place
1615 Rebsamen Park Road, Little Rock, AR 72202
https://maddiesplacelr.com/

Cypress Social
7103 **** of the Walk Ln, North Little Rock, AR 72113
https://cypresssocial.com/

the address for Cypress above is censored but is spelled c-o-c-k like a rooster.

Old 04-01-2024, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevergirl67 View Post
When we travel, we also try to stay somewhere unique, and only eat at places we can't get at home.
It's the best way to soak in the local color. Chain restaurants, hotels and anything like that are no different from home.

I am looking forward to that pimiento cheese at the restaurant aat the Capital. That isn't available in Ohio. I liked the menu and the hotel is unique to Arkansas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Little Rock - Conway area