Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom > London
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2010, 08:51 AM

1,068 posts, read 2,022,158 times

Advertisements

There are parts of Notting Hill that can be intimidating, doesn't necessarily make Notting Hill an area you could call 'rough'. if Vauxhall was such a rough place you wouldn't have politicians like Kenneth Clarke, John Major or Ed Balls living in the area. Vauxhall covers a wide, expansive area so pointing out its rough round the edges spots is a bit misleading, especially if you are within close proximity to Vauxhall Bridge Road and central London, where it's about as rough as any other part of central London, i.e, not particularly rough at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2010, 04:58 PM

173 posts, read 155,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fear&Whiskey View Post
Perhaps, but you're still wrong. The square mile's financial district itself has actually evolved East into boroughs like Tower Hamlets and Hackney. Canary Wharf, for instance, is situated in Tower Hamlets.The borderline of the City of London meanwhile, extends alot further West, bordering Holborn Circus and Chancery Lane too. You've been away too long country boy.
The City of London is an entity:

City of London

Please stop spouting bolox

Old 07-18-2010, 06:40 PM

Yes, and as a so called 'entity' those boundaries with Hoborn Circus, Chancery Lane and Temple Bar remain, so I don't really see your point.

Unless you're somehow disputing the fact that Canry Wharf is an extension of the financial district that stands within the City Of London? Yes, I know Canary Wharf is not within the City of London but nowhere did I state that it was. If you'd have read my post a little more carefully, you'll have noticed my description of, and I'll bold type key points this time just to clarify an already abundantly clear point to hopefully make it easier for you to comprehend. 'THE SQUARE MILE'S FINANCIAL DISTRICT' I.E THE FINANCIAL DISTRICT WITHIN THE SQUARE MILE, NOT THE CITY OF LONDON ITSELF, HAS EXPANDED EAST INTO TOWER HAMLETS AND HACKNEY.'

This is not even in dispute, not even a negotiable fact. Why the fussin? Get a guidebook, take a tourbus, get out of the country for a day and do what you've gotts do, but you've got to get a better grip on your geographical bearings as regards the City of London. Good luck with that. Half-priced fares Monday afternoon outside Victoria coach station by the way.

Last edited by Fear&Whiskey; 07-18-2010 at 07:27 PM..

Old 07-18-2010, 07:46 PM

1,287 posts, read 3,323,521 times
What has any of this lunacy got to do with cupcakes?

Old 07-19-2010, 02:56 AM

Well it might help to have some geographical sense of how interconnected and accessible certain routes between areas of central London and the City of London are. The might want to visit St.Paul's cathedral and feel they are miles away in a central London area like Tottenham Court or Holborn when they are not far at all.

Failing that, perhaps the realisation that Vauxhall isn't the second dawning of armegeddon, full of Shaun Of The Dead rejects with glazed eyes and foaming mouths might ease concerns a little. The OP's going to the London Dungeon, he'll be terrified enough without alarmist talk attempting to hype up what is a pretty gentrified, unthreatening area like Vauxhall into the stage of some sawn off horror B movie. Let's get a grip. Vauxhall isn't rough at all, especially around the areas in close proximity to Victoria and central London.

Last edited by Fear&Whiskey; 07-19-2010 at 03:50 AM..

Old 07-19-2010, 05:10 AM

43,663 posts, read 44,393,687 times
I suggest visiting the Museum of London: Museum of London - English.

Old 07-19-2010, 11:50 AM

1,448 posts, read 4,792,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
I suggest visiting the Museum of London: Museum of London - English.
We went there on our trip and I have to say it was somewhat disappointing. Maybe the ongoing remodeling had something to do with it. The remains of the old Roman wall were cool, however.

I'd skip the Museum of London and spend extra time at the Tower or the museums around Trafalgar Square. Or even better, the Museum of Natural History.

Old 07-20-2010, 07:35 AM

59 posts, read 134,123 times
I got back from London late on Sunday and I absolutley loved it! The city is so buzzing and you can get anything you want there. I really want a summer job there next year so I can be there for 6 weeks because I really wish I wasn't back home

Old 07-20-2010, 03:43 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,922,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by englishamericandreamer15 View Post
I got back from London late on Sunday and I absolutley loved it! The city is so buzzing and you can get anything you want there. I really want a summer job there next year so I can be there for 6 weeks because I really wish I wasn't back home
I'm glad you had a great time and were not put off by the children arguing in this thread

Old 07-20-2010, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
I'm glad you had a great time and were not put off by the children arguing in this thread
Kids ay, can't live with em, can't sellotape their pieholes with industrial strength adhesive until they're 18 years old. Blimmin human rights, liberals, leftism, blah blah blaah, hell in a handcart thingy. Maily Express says we should bring back the dungeon, public flogging and have extermination instead of on the spot fines for littering. That'd teach em. And they've never been wrong about anything. It would eradicate all evil overnight studies show yet lily livered 'freedom' softies are opposed. Grrrr.Why no-one has voted Richard Littlejohn for mayor yet is beyond me.

Hope you enjoyed the London Dungeon, and let's hope we bring it back for petty, squabbling posters as well as human rights activists and starving migrants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom > London