Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom > London
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2011, 06:32 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,589,687 times

Advertisements

It's nice to see on ITV news that the scum who caused this are being held to account. Hopefully the police force in this country will be toughened up as well as sentencing and prisons, and maybe we can avoid anything like this ever again. And hopefully our reputation won't be tarnished for too long. I don't think many tourists will be flocking back to London any time soon though!

One thing that really shocked me is a teacher was in the riots. As well as a charity worker! We should be more careful who we let in the class rooms.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2011, 07:54 AM

78,432 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
Looting is a physical act. Rebelling is a reason for committing the act. I don't disagree with you (that they are technically "looting"), but I also don't think that people just randomly start to loot because they happen to be in a crowd (or at a Halloween Party ).
Actually yes, they absolutely do and it's not random it's a crime of opportunity.

Check out some of sports championship riots in LA, Chicago etc. when the police were unprepared. Once mayhem started it was 5-finger discount time.

It's the same exact thing with Detroit and their fires the night before Halloween. Under the cover of mass fires everyone had the opportunity to torch buildings that were blights, havens for crack heads or worth insurance $$$. Since there were so many fires being set it could be blamed on "random arsonists" where if it happened other nights of the year you'd come under scrutiny.

Old 08-11-2011, 08:03 AM

78,432 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Well, at least they haven't killed any of those poor looters.....

'Calm down and go home, please,' father of man killed in Britain urges - CNN.com

Love the quote on the side about the young guys too lazy to work just out stealing. Seriously, this is true here in the states too....I know some guys like this. Two brothers in my neighborhood are pretty much watched like a hawk as they live at home, don't work, do drugs and then try to rob peoples cars when the opportunity presents itself. (They got my neighbors laptop, wallet etc.) This is in a nice, upscale neighborhood.

They are already on probation for residential burglary and eventually they will get caught again but it takes getting caught a lot of times to actually get sent away and for every time they get caught they don't get caught a bunch of times.

P.S. They opened a new distribution center near my hometown and the family friend running the place complained that even in this bad economy he had trouble finding young guys to work there because it was either "too hard" or they couldn't pass the drug tests etc.

Old 08-11-2011, 08:10 AM

6,046 posts, read 5,956,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
It's nice to see on ITV news that the scum who caused this are being held to account. Hopefully the police force in this country will be toughened up as well as sentencing and prisons, and maybe we can avoid anything like this ever again. And hopefully our reputation won't be tarnished for too long. I don't think many tourists will be flocking back to London any time soon though!

One thing that really shocked me is a teacher was in the riots. As well as a charity worker! We should be more careful who we let in the class rooms.
London will be back to normal in no time. Tourists will be as thick on the ground as usual.

The people that took part I think you will find come from a diverse range of areas. The media wants folk to think all that took part were brainles morrons.

Old 08-11-2011, 08:15 AM

2,994 posts, read 5,773,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
They aren't "rebelling" they are LOOTING.

The reason other lowlifes aren't rioting is because they lack the excuse\organization although here in the US there have been some flashmob robberies of stores by dozens of thugs.

This is why there are a million cops out when there are sports championships etc etc. because they know that in the anonymity of a large crowd people will start in as they feel they will get away with it.

Happened once at my schools halloween party. It got a reputation for being fun and rowdy and kids would come from all the other colleges to join in. One year it got out of hand, the next year the place was SWARMING with cops and nothing happened.

P.S. If they were really rebeling they'd still be out peacefully protesting once LARGE numbers of cops finally showed up. Instead, the stealing opportunity is gone so they have retreated to their basements etc. to play xbox and smoke pot.
From the TV pictures ive seen, it is full scale Rioting in addition to Looting. When massive amounts of people try to harm and overpower the Police in Riot gear thru direct contact or from throwing dangerous objects at them...youd have to term that Rioting. Plus when you see vehicles being bounced up and down to tip them over and Busses being set ablaze...it confirms a Riot situation.

Old 08-11-2011, 08:31 AM

6,046 posts, read 5,956,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007.5 View Post
From the TV pictures ive seen, it is full scale Rioting in addition to Looting. When massive amounts of people try to harm and overpower the Police in Riot gear thru direct contact or from throwing dangerous objects at them...youd have to term that Rioting. Plus when you see vehicles being bounced up and down to tip them over and Busses being set ablaze...it confirms a Riot situation.
Rioting,Inserection,Anarchy a bit of all those things. In many cases the police stood back and kept out of the way.

Old 08-11-2011, 08:49 AM

454 posts, read 821,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the troubadour View Post
That being the case with police can't arrest anyone( black,I take it you mean) then why are British prisons so(massively) over represented by Afro-Caribs ?
If they really cracked down on crime in these specific neighbourhood in London then we would need to double the local prisons capacity.

When you can drive down main streets in Hackney and see open drug dealing its pretty obvious the police could arrest a lot more people than they do.

You may find that although the Jamaicans are over represented by race in jail they are under represented in terms of crimes they commit.

Old 08-11-2011, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Rioting,Inserection,Anarchy a bit of all those things. In many cases the police stood back and kept out of the way.
The Police are going to have to step up the assertiveness in getting this situation under control , and, right now . They are going to have to combat the widespread anarchy that is multiplying daily, with heavy no-nonsense tactics as if a war was taking place (because one is underway against Authority and to now extreme levels) . Im talking taking extreme measures for extreme circumstances like the Army and other Armed Forces working in conjunction with the local Police -- its going to take forceful measures ... certainly rubber/plastic bullets as a minimum to restore the law and order once again. Setting a street curfew is a mandatory measure The longer they wait on this, the harder it will become to battle the Opposition. Full scale Calvary needs implementing ...and not next week. Now.

Old 08-11-2011, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpatlanta View Post
If they really cracked down on crime in these specific neighbourhood in London then we would need to double the local prisons capacity.

When you can drive down main streets in Hackney and see open drug dealing its pretty obvious the police could arrest a lot more people than they do.

You may find that although the Jamaicans are over represented by race in jail they are under represented in terms of crimes they commit.
Ship the captured Anarchists out to massive Detention Centers in the Country that exist, or, make plans for providing them from existing resources. Set up a mass tent Community so they can be protected somewhat from the elements , yet confined in shackles until justice can be visited on them. The Britiish Government needs to institute a Czar at once, to oversee all these particulars . And if they dont, their failure will be obvious to all the world over.

Old 08-11-2011, 10:52 AM

886 posts, read 2,226,699 times
Quote:
London will be back to normal in no time. Tourists will be as thick on the ground as usual.

The people that took part I think you will find come from a diverse range of areas. The media wants folk to think all that took part were brainles morrons.
Hey I'll be there in a 6 weeks.. it hasn't deterred me at all....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom > London