Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom > London
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2015, 05:26 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,029,712 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SE9 View Post
Poor misconception there. Multicultural London English transcends 'ethnic group' in London. It's spoken by white, black, Asian (etc) kids growing up in London.

In your opinion, yes.

I personally much prefer the sound and composition of MLE speech to Cockney speech.
Its in everybodies opinion if they are over the age of 18, its cringeworthy particularly because 90% of people that sound like that are putting it on, its funny how once they grow up kids suddenly sound different?

Last edited by easthome; 06-05-2015 at 05:41 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2015, 05:39 AM

264 posts, read 272,589 times
No matter how cool they think they sound, the rest of the country think they sound deluded.

Old 06-05-2015, 08:23 AM

70 posts, read 67,288 times
Quote:
Poor misconception there. Multicultural London English transcends 'ethnic group' in London. It's spoken by white, black, Asian (etc) kids growing up in London.

In your opinion, yes.

I personally much prefer the sound and composition of MLE speech to Cockney speech.
Couldn't care less who it's spoken by its an attempt to sound black and it's embarrassing.

Old 06-06-2015, 05:31 AM

411 posts, read 416,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 640TAG View Post
Hmm.

Are you an MLE speaker yourself by any chance? If SE9 is your postcode, then quite likely.

In my opinion, it's an abomination. Noh wha ah meeen?

Much as I love him, Jamie T has a lot to answer for. He didn't even grow up in Brixton.

It's not just an accent, it seems to be an attitude. I wouldn't employ someone who spoke like that.

I love Jamie T as well.........................blud.

Old 06-06-2015, 07:24 PM

26 posts, read 38,430 times
Dying but you can find it in certain parts of South and East London especially and certainly not in parts of Hertfordshire, Kent and Essex that are close to the border of London. Essex and Colchester (which is actually quite a distance from London) are a prime example of two areas where the cockney accent is still strongly prevalent, be it in a distinctively unique Essex slant on the accent.

Old 06-10-2015, 02:58 AM
SE9

219 posts, read 348,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 640TAG View Post
Hmm.

Are you an MLE speaker yourself by any chance? If SE9 is your postcode, then quite likely.

In my opinion, it's an abomination. Noh wha ah meeen?

Much as I love him, Jamie T has a lot to answer for. He didn't even grow up in Brixton.
Jamie T? Typical Estuary accent. I can flip between RP, Cockney and MLE seamlessly.

In the video below, the interviewer (South Londoner) speaks with an MLE accent and the interviewee (Essex/East London fringe) speaks with a Cockney accent. Abomination, really?

Old 06-10-2015, 09:10 AM

70 posts, read 67,288 times
Quote:
Jamie T? Typical Estuary accent. I can flip between RP, Cockney and MLE seamlessly.

In the video below, the interviewer (South Londoner) speaks with an MLE accent and the interviewee (Essex/East London fringe) speaks with a Cockney accent. Abomination, really?

Yeah absolute abomination, literally cringing for the fella here.

No idea what your game is either. If you're 'flipping' between 3 accents I'd suggest that 2 of them must be put on. You've only got one accent.

There's not enough cringe in the world for me to say how I feel about someone deliberately putting that accent on.

Old 06-10-2015, 09:33 AM

264 posts, read 272,589 times
Why would anyone put on a fake accent unless theyre an actor, telling a joke or story, being a posing pratt or trying to con someone?
I have a reasonably strong Belfast accent which isnt particularly unintelligible. The only UK people i have encountered that seem non plussed by it have all been from the south of England for some reason, but even then i dont change accent i just try to slow my speech a little and enunciate clearer - I dont speak too fast, I like to think that they think too slow. My accent doesnt change. I would no more talk to someone in a different fake accent than i would do handstands while talking to them, and if I did that theyd correctly think me a right tube. I'd think the same if someone started talking to me in a put on accent.

Old 06-11-2015, 05:49 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,029,712 times
Quote:

Why on earth would you do that!? I'm sorry but I wouldn't be able to take ANYBODY seriously that puts on a fake accent (unless they're an actor / actress of course), in PARTICULAR an adult lol.

Old 06-11-2015, 06:22 AM

2,492 posts, read 3,031,370 times
I just don't hear a big difference. I'm a yank so maybe that's why. It doesn't sound as pronounced as the Ebonics spoke in US urban areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom > London