Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2010, 08:34 PM

74 posts, read 554,932 times

Advertisements

Can anyone tell me the car seat rules for NYS.

When can a child ride in the front seat? How old until a child no longer needs a booster seat?

When can a younger child go from the high back booster to the small booster?
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2010, 09:58 PM

1,696 posts, read 8,873,403 times
Every child under age 16 in the vehicle must use a safety restraint. If under age four, he or she must be properly secured in a federally-approved child safety seat that is attached to a vehicle by a safety belt or universal child restraint anchorage (LATCH) system. A child under age four who weighs more than 40 pounds may be restrained in a booster seat with a lap and shoulder belt. A child of age 4, 5, 6 or 7, must use a booster seat with lap and shoulder belt or a child safety seat (The child and safety restraint system must meet the height and weight recommendations of the restraint manufacturer.)

Exception: A child more than four feet nine inches tall or more than 100 pounds is allowed to use a seat belt that has both a lap belt and a shoulder harness. To use the seat belt, the child must be able to sit straight up against the vehicle's seat back with his or her knees bent comfortably over the edge of the seat. The lap belt should be placed low and tight across the upper thighs; the shoulder belt should rest tightly but comfortably across the child's chest and shoulder (collar bone) without touching the throat. If the seat belt does not fit properly, the child should use a booster seat with a lap and shoulder belt.

A booster seat can be used only with a lap and shoulder belt together. If all the combination lap and shoulder belt positions in the vehicle are already occupied by children using child safety seats or booster seats, a child who ordinarily would use a booster seat should be restrained using only the lap belt.

NYS DMV - (Brochure) New York State's Seat Belt Law (http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/broch/c-1.htm - broken link)

Old 06-15-2010, 04:27 AM

1,144 posts, read 2,668,852 times
It is recommended that children under 12 do not sit in the front passenger seat if the car has an airbag. This is why most P/U trucks have a provision to diable the passenger airbag.

Old 06-15-2010, 06:40 AM

405 posts, read 1,163,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckthedog View Post
It is recommended that children under 12 do not sit in the front passenger seat if the car has an airbag. This is why most P/U trucks have a provision to diable the passenger airbag.
Actually, it's not just pick ups. My current car has an automatic switch that disables air bags. If I put a bag of groceries on the front seat, the car will just down the airbag because it registers weight and thinks its a child.

Old 06-15-2010, 08:13 AM

22,666 posts, read 36,764,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilTownBlues View Post
Actually, it's not just pick ups. My current car has an automatic switch that disables air bags. If I put a bag of groceries on the front seat, the car will just down the airbag because it registers weight and thinks its a child.
My car does the same thing.

Unfortunately there is no law governing front seat riding for children. There is not even a law that states a baby seat can't be in the front seaat, there's just been so much publicity about it that most people know that a child belongs in the back.

Old 06-15-2010, 08:20 AM

3,122 posts, read 4,952,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckthedog View Post

My cars also disables the airbags but one of my 11 year olds is 5' 9' 160 lbs so it doesn't disable anything with him sitting there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island