Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2010, 07:55 PM

173 posts, read 360,284 times

Advertisements

Need a place to live within 30 mins (max) driving distance of Republic airport in Farmingdale. Need a couple of city names to start looking. I have a couple of key points.

No Ghettos
Younger Crowd (20's 30's)
Bars, Nightclubs, Restaurants

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2010, 07:59 PM

456 posts, read 1,122,096 times
Huntington.

Old 06-20-2010, 08:44 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,672,241 times
Default A map of the Hamlet of Huntington in the Town of Huntington, Suffolk County

Two points:

1. Republic Airport is in East Farmingdale ("Farmingdale, NY 11735" mailing address).

2. Second Huntington is the community where you would want to be.

It is important to know that there are 3 "Huntingtons" (from smallest to largest, in order of acreage):

1. There is the Hamlet of Huntington;

2. There is the Huntington, NY 11743 postal zone, and it includes the Hamlet of Huntington and parts of other surrounding villages and hamlets within its service area; and,

3. There is the Town of Huntington, and it includes 4 villages and 15 hamlets as well as the Huntington, NY 11743 postal zone and other postal zones, within its borders.

A map of the Hamlet of Huntington in the Town of Huntington, Suffolk County:

The Hamlet of Huntington has a different border than does the "Huntington, NY 11743" postal zone (i.e., a place can have a Huntington mailing address and not be in Huntington and a place can have other than a Huntington mailing address and be in Huntington): places that have a "Huntington, NY" mailing address that are not in the Hamlet of Huntington are in the Hamlet of West Hills, the Hamlet of Halesite, the Hamlet of Huntington Bay, the Hamlet of Greenlawn and the Hamlet of Elwood; and, at the same time, there are places in the Hamlet of Huntington with a "Huntington Station, NY 11746" and a "Greenlawn, NY 11740" mailing address.

Old 06-21-2010, 06:11 AM

2 things.

1. Huntington seems to be a large area, so is there any specific places I should look at?

2. What about any areas to the south of the airport. I had heard that was a young area with plenty to do.

One last note... As far as boating and beaches are concerned, would the north or south shore be better?

Thanks

Old 06-21-2010, 07:18 AM

456 posts, read 1,122,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by extra300 View Post
2 things.

1. Huntington seems to be a large area, so is there any specific places I should look at?

2. What about any areas to the south of the airport. I had heard that was a young area with plenty to do.

One last note... As far as boating and beaches are concerned, would the north or south shore be better?

Thanks
(1) Huntington village has a ton going on. You might want to live within walking distance of the stores and bars so if you drink you can walk home, if you are into that kind of thing.

(2) South of the Airport? Do you mean Amityville? I don't think you want to be there, there isn't much of a 20/30s scene, that's more of a Huntington or Long Beach thing.

(3) It depends what kind of beaches you are looking for. If you want an Ocean beach, you are going South shore, if you want to be on the sound, North shore. Jones Beach and Robert Moses are both great.

Old 06-21-2010, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMBA View Post
(1) Huntington village has a ton going on. You might want to live within walking distance of the stores and bars so if you drink you can walk home, if you are into that kind of thing.

(2) South of the Airport? Do you mean Amityville? I don't think you want to be there, there isn't much of a 20/30s scene, that's more of a Huntington or Long Beach thing.

(3) It depends what kind of beaches you are looking for. If you want an Ocean beach, you are going South shore, if you want to be on the sound, North shore. Jones Beach and Robert Moses are both great.
K, I'll check out huntington village area.

As far as th south shore, yea Im pretty sure they were talking about near the water, like Long Beach.. Another person told me to head south on 110..

Thanks for all the help

Old 06-21-2010, 07:44 AM

Default A map of the City of Long Beach, Nassau County

Quote:
As far as th south shore, yea Im pretty sure they were talking about near the water, like Long Beach

A map of the City of Long Beach, Nassau County:

The City of Long Beach has a different border than does the "Long Beach, NY 11561" ZIP Code postal zone (i.e., a place can have a "Long Beach, NY 11561" mailing address and not be in the City of Long Beach): places that have a "Long Beach, NY 1561" mailing address that are not in the City of Long Beach are in the Hamlet of East Atlantic Beach and the Hamlet of Lido Beach, both of these hamlets are in the Town of Hempstead.

Old 06-21-2010, 07:53 AM

Quote:
K, I'll check out huntington village area.

Bear in mind that there is no actual village; Huntington Village is the colloquial name for the downtown commercial district in the Hamlet of Huntington.

extra300, in case you are unfamiliar with the local geography, I've sent you an explanation of the very, very confusing geography of "Lawn Guyland" as a DM (Direct Message).

Old 06-22-2010, 06:59 AM

I went and checked out Huntington. It was pretty good, but still a little quieter than I hoped for. Even with that being said, I still consider it an option. While I was there a few people told me to check out downtown Babylon.

What are your thoughts on the Babylon area?

Thanks again

Old 06-22-2010, 07:38 AM

Default A map of the Village of Babylon in the Town of Babylon, Suffolk County

A map of the Village of Babylon in the Town of Babylon, Suffolk County
:

The Village of Babylon has a different border than does the "Babylon, NY 11702" postal zone (i.e., a place can have a "Babylon, NY 11702" mailing address and not be in the Village of Babylon and a place can have other than a "Babylon, NY 11702" mailing address and be in the Village of Babylon): places that have a "Babylon, NY 11702" mailing address that are not in the Village of Babylon are in the Hamlet of North Babylon and in the Hamlet of West Babylon; and, at the same time, there are places in the Village of Babylon with a "West Babylon, NY 11704" mailing address.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island