Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2008, 10:35 AM

7 posts, read 37,182 times

Advertisements

I already live on LI (Port Jeff)...I was hoping to get some feedback on the work environment, stability, and job outlook at CA.

The bost by Cyperworks was from a year ago, I am hoping s/he can give me some advise..maybe it didn;t work out for them, or maybe they are still there and love it???

I am at another big LI company, but have been contacted by CA's recruiters...if I can make a couple of more bucks, maybe I can actually pay my LIPA and Meenan bills this winter!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2008, 06:35 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,661,046 times
Default My husband quit there about 10 years ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by zip11777 View Post
It has been over a year since you posted that you would be working at CA, how has it worked out?
I was recently contatced by a recruiter for a position at CA, but am nervous about the number of layoffs that seem to happening there.

What do you think?
It was bad then and at least until 3 years ago, bad still. He had a friend who worked there for 20 years. Tried to protect his butt by getting his Masters, this certification, that certification. He worked 12 hour days and weekends also. He still got canned. I forget what reason they gave, but bottom line was they hired somebody right out of college at half his salary to take his place. Generally, they don't care how much you know, but how much they have to pay you.

Just thought of something to add. Those long days and weekends are EXPECTED work hours. That is part of the "culture" there.

Old 07-25-2008, 09:41 AM

1,302 posts, read 3,306,747 times
Default Counterpoint

Quote:
Originally Posted by zip11777 View Post
I already live on LI (Port Jeff)...I was hoping to get some feedback on the work environment, stability, and job outlook at CA.

The bost by Cyperworks was from a year ago, I am hoping s/he can give me some advise..maybe it didn;t work out for them, or maybe they are still there and love it???

I am at another big LI company, but have been contacted by CA's recruiters...if I can make a couple of more bucks, maybe I can actually pay my LIPA and Meenan bills this winter!
Without getting into specifics I have intimate experience in working in the CA culture. Based on that time I parted ways on amicable terms after a fairly long tenure (at least by CA standards). The scandals are long behind the company although the continuing restructure and intensity of the company certainly remains. It is a large place, and much of your experience will hinge on what department you will be joining. Areas of IT can be brutal (they seem to not be sure how they want to commit to outsourcing), and sales/marketing/services can be very tough although if you are a Type A hard-charging person you can also make quite a bit of money. I would research the role, the business unit, and your potential management as best you can and if you have the work ethic and extended time to put in, which is really a question of where you are in your work/life balance at the moment, decide whether it could be a good place to be. Always keep in mind that even a few years at one of the island's only large global organizations, if you can survive it, usually will not hurt your future earning potential or resume if/when you decide it is time to move on....just my two cents. Good luck to you.
JRP

Old 03-08-2010, 02:05 PM

1 posts, read 3,096 times
I may be working on the CA campus in Islandia soon. I will be temporarily relocating from San Francisco! What are the opinions for the best place to live for easy access to airports, Manhattan and a decent interesting place to live...is it possible? I'm looking for an apartment rental in sort of an urban setting and my budget is about $ 2,000. Any ideas?

Old 03-08-2010, 02:11 PM

13,511 posts, read 17,036,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccrock1156 View Post
I may be working on the CA campus in Islandia soon. I will be temporarily relocating from San Francisco! What are the opinions for the best place to live for easy access to airports, Manhattan and a decent interesting place to live...is it possible? I'm looking for an apartment rental in sort of an urban setting and my budget is about $ 2,000. Any ideas?
Keep in mind that CA is a good 50 minutes and up drive into Manhattan, and the area around CA on LI is not "interesting" according to what most people would go by.

You need to come here and look around..there are somewhat "townie" areas that in places like Huntington, Sayville, Patchogue, Islip, but nothing that anyone would call urban.

It depends on how long of a commute you are willing to deal with.

Old 03-08-2010, 02:47 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,173,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccrock1156 View Post
LI isnt urban but Id go with Babylon Village or Stony Brook.

If youre cool with Soutwhest.ISP is a stones throw.

Crooks

Old 03-08-2010, 03:28 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,269,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberworks View Post
Thanks for all your opinion. I'll be traveling to LI next week and check out the apartments myself.

I say this to everyone, but avoid Fairfield Properties at all costs. Bad maintenance, lying management, thievery, just everything that gives landlords a bad name.

Old 03-08-2010, 07:41 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,305,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
Keep in mind that CA is a good 50 minutes and up drive into Manhattan, and the area around CA on LI is not "interesting" according to what most people would go by.

You need to come here and look around..there are somewhat "townie" areas that in places like Huntington, Sayville, Patchogue, Islip, but nothing that anyone would call urban.

It depends on how long of a commute you are willing to deal with.
A couple years back I was offered a relatively well-paid gig at CA and I wouldn't drive there from western Nassau (70+ miles roundtrip). Clueless recruiter nagged me unmercifully ("but you live on LI, it's on LI") like that was all there was to it. Manhattan would be a nightmare and much more than 50 minutes, especially in rush hour traffic. I was figuring my drive from westen Nassau would be around 1 hour and 10 minutes each way because of traffic. No way was I going through that torture, nor was I putting my car through that.

I agree ... look in the townie areas relatively nearby for a place to live and have your Manhattan fun on the weekends. Use public transportation (LIRR). Islandia is kind of in the middle, so you can choose either north shore or south shore (or the middle!). Babylon Village on the south shore is kind of nice, as is Sayville. You might like Huntington (village) and Stonybrook on the north shore too. Also ask advice of where your coworkers live.

PS: If you are looking for a 1 bedroom, you won't have to spend the whole $2K you have budgeted.

Last edited by I_Love_LI_but; 03-08-2010 at 07:49 PM..

Old 03-09-2010, 07:09 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,036,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
A couple years back I was offered a relatively well-paid gig at CA and I wouldn't drive there from western Nassau (70+ miles roundtrip). Clueless recruiter nagged me unmercifully ("but you live on LI, it's on LI") like that was all there was to it. Manhattan would be a nightmare and much more than 50 minutes, especially in rush hour traffic. I was figuring my drive from westen Nassau would be around 1 hour and 10 minutes each way because of traffic. No way was I going through that torture, nor was I putting my car through that.

I agree ... look in the townie areas relatively nearby for a place to live and have your Manhattan fun on the weekends. Use public transportation (LIRR). Islandia is kind of in the middle, so you can choose either north shore or south shore (or the middle!). Babylon Village on the south shore is kind of nice, as is Sayville. You might like Huntington (village) and Stonybrook on the north shore too. Also ask advice of where your coworkers live.

PS: If you are looking for a 1 bedroom, you won't have to spend the whole $2K you have budgeted.

On the weekends you can be in Manhattan in 50 minutes, but you're right, no way on a weekday, even reverse commuting.

In which case, playing in the city on weekends means you should live closer to where you work. A run of the mill one bedroom garden apartment is well below 2K, but something that is actually nice could be pushing 2K..depends on what the OP means by "nice".

Old 03-09-2010, 07:56 AM

99 posts, read 272,710 times
Huntington and Port Jefferson are nice, and walkable. Huntington has better nightlife/restaurants. You can get a good place in those areas in your budget. $2k wont get you much in Manhattan, and the commute will be terrible. For some reason recently the reverse commute through nassau has been worse than the forward so yeah the traffic will be bad and CA is about 50 miles from Manhattan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island