Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2017, 07:07 AM

2,589 posts, read 1,824,932 times

Advertisements

I don't pay much credence to these lists because who knows what the criteria used is or who's agenda is being served...BUT, for the highest taxes in the country, we don't make an appearance until Garden City HS at #157. Didn't Jericho or one of those usually come in around #60 or so every year? Whu happened?!

https://www.usnews.com/education/bes...ional-rankings
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2017, 07:14 AM

3,180 posts, read 10,540,895 times
Well, at 1st glance, the top 45 schools seemed to be almost all selective prep, STEM and/or specialty schools. You can''t mix schools that have admissions with schools that must educate everyone.

Old 04-25-2017, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbinspections View Post
Well, at 1st glance, the top 45 schools seemed to be almost all selective prep, STEM and/or specialty schools. You can''t mix schools that have admissions with schools that must educate everyone.
The article points out 80% of the rankings are public schools. Many before #157 are public schools. Just not on Long Island.

Old 04-25-2017, 07:41 AM

22,668 posts, read 36,783,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monstermagnet View Post
The article points out 80% of the rankings are public schools. Many before #157 are public schools. Just not on Long Island.
Technically public, but charters can and do have admission standards. Here in NC, Raleigh Charter is almost impossible to get into, between SAT scores and lottery, same with Triangle School of Math and Science. (I haven't looked at the list, i don't know if either of these are on it).

Then some of them are magnet schools which again are lottery based, and around here, pull from "high ranking nodes" which is a nice way of saying "we'll trade our inner city kid for a seat at your nice suburban school and you give up your nice suburban kid and send them to the magnet program at our inner city school". I live in a "high ranking node" (they actually drill down to SECTIONS of neighborhoods) and if I wanted my kid(s) to go to a magnet I'd probably get a seat, so they could send a kid to my schools in exchange.

There are also cultural and regional differences across the country that make lists like this dumb. No one on Long Island is planning on becoming a farmer and foregoing AP exams because of it. No one in Garden City has ever met a free lunch kid.

Old 04-25-2017, 08:46 AM

3,180 posts, read 10,540,895 times
Also the first 2 steps in the rating process is how the school does in its own state. So that helps a good or great school in poorly educated states. That makes it tougher for good or great schools in well educated states.

3rd step in the rating process deals with disadvantaged students and how they rate......not sure who or what qualifies in that category. It would be safe to say that hurts the rankings of wealthy districts and schools.

Old 04-25-2017, 08:52 AM

2,770 posts, read 3,538,803 times
These US News ranks lists mean nothing and should definitely be taken with a grain of salt as op mentions.

I'm a doc and my hospital in the city consistently ranks in the top 10 nationally in US News. However its based primarily on polling of doctors and not any serious quality metrics. US news sends a survey to docs asking them to rank hospitals. My department every years sends out notices that it mandatory for us to vote our hospital as #1 and to pick some out of state hospital as #2,#3, etc and to not vote for our competition in the city.

I don't know how they rank schools, but if its anything like they rank hospitals, it is not scientific at all.

I wouldn't even be surprised if my hospital bribed US News since hospitals love putting the US New Top Ten Honor roll in all their marketing materials.

Old 04-25-2017, 08:56 AM

3 posts, read 4,621 times
Jericho is 67.

Old 04-25-2017, 08:58 AM

2,685 posts, read 2,327,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monstermagnet View Post
I don't pay much credence to these lists because who knows what the criteria used is or who's agenda is being served...BUT, for the highest taxes in the country, we don't make an appearance until Garden City HS at #157. Didn't Jericho or one of those usually come in around #60 or so every year? Whu happened?!

https://www.usnews.com/education/bes...ional-rankings
As usual the ratings are nonsense, I took a curious gander. Look at NYS all those schools in NYC are admissions based. Of course they will be ranked higher. Jericho was ranked 67th nationally. Although I live in a highly rated district, I am sure if my kid went to a school ranked 40th on LI and not around the top 10 he wouldn't do any better or worse.

Old 04-25-2017, 09:06 AM

4,697 posts, read 8,758,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85dumbo View Post
These US News ranks lists mean nothing and should definitely be taken with a grain of salt as op mentions.

I'm a doc and my hospital in the city consistently ranks in the top 10 nationally in US News. However its based primarily on polling of doctors and not any serious quality metrics. US news sends a survey to docs asking them to rank hospitals. My department every years sends out notices that it mandatory for us to vote our hospital as #1 and to pick some out of state hospital as #2,#3, etc and to not vote for our competition in the city.

I don't know how they rank schools, but if its anything like they rank hospitals, it is not scientific at all.

I wouldn't even be surprised if my hospital bribed US News since hospitals love putting the US New Top Ten Honor roll in all their marketing materials.
wow!

Old 04-25-2017, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smcan32 View Post
Jericho is 67.
Yup, I stand corrected. As I recalled, they are usually in the 60's on these lists.

Some of these theories are still pretty much excuses/apologist for LI. I know plenty of docs, lawyers and dentists who went to my HS in Brooklyn, one of the worst in the city at the time. Still sent more kids to Ivy's proportionately than my LI district does.

If "admission based" is the way to excel...why don't we?! Powerful unions strangling innovation, maybe?!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island