Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2010, 05:48 PM

654 posts, read 2,119,738 times

Advertisements

I am getting cranky over kids that are clearly not from m neighborhood knocking on my door holding a hug tub of crap to sell. It is usually candy that is way over prices like 12 bucks for gummy bears in a cute plastic cup. I am always nice but today has been the third time since June. Last week some guys clearly not from aorund my neighborhood was selling magaznines. He also said that if we didn't want a magazine we could make a donation to our troop. Sure , right.

Has anyone else experienced this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2010, 07:57 PM

86 posts, read 193,386 times
I believe the ghetto group selling that garbage sued the police department saying preventing them from selling garbage in white neighborhoods was racist.

Old 07-14-2010, 09:30 PM

1,919 posts, read 7,106,564 times
You are not the only one!! We are so tired of them. I see them everywhere, all the time. I have seen them in Northport, Westbury, Stewart Manor, etc. This needs to be cracked down on. And who on Earth is buying this stuff, that they keep attempting to sell this crap?

Old 07-14-2010, 09:38 PM

1,999 posts, read 4,994,339 times
It is about time you suburban people had to deal with this. These people have been doing this on the subways and street corners for decades. Now that they have a foothold in your neighborhoods along with legal authority and they will never leave.

Old 07-15-2010, 03:21 AM

431 posts, read 1,310,339 times
I've had a few of these kids show up at my door. None of them looked legit. They either had a photo of some kids or a phony looking fundraising sheet with them. They were selling candy that they most likely bought from walmart and reselling them for a profit. But it's probably the adult scam artists making these kids do it.

Old 07-15-2010, 03:37 AM

24 posts, read 42,248 times
Just don't mind them if you don't want to buy or give anything thats ok your not forced to do so. You were also a kid once most of them are not doing it for the money, but for fun. Doing so makes them feel independent and can make a larger role when they've grown up.

Old 07-15-2010, 04:17 AM

654 posts, read 2,119,738 times
Hey, I am always nice to these kids and I really do think whomever is sending them out is definetly taking advantage of them. But how many times can I buy a way over priced item for "charity" in which I doubt a good portion of the money is going to charity. I had two giys from Tennessee show up last summer selling magazines to try to win a trip to Disney....hmm.

I have also noticed that I keep getting the same phone number asking me donate to the police, then it was Lupus, breast cancer. So I googled the number and the owner leases it to different organization. The number comes up a Islip when they call. So the after I figured it out I asked the person why does this number keep calling me but from different charities. They told me that they raise money for a number of organization. Meanwhile I thought that organization was calling me directly. I then asked them how much of my donation would go directly to the charity. The mumbled something about it being on a website. I asked if they were volunteers and was told they collect a salary. I do not donate to anyone over the phone anymore. If I wasnt to donate I make direct contact with the organization.

I started many fundraiser for St. Judes and Pennies for Paws. None of the money was kept by my organization. It went directly to St. Judes and different animal organizations like the ASPCA in NYC.

Sorry for the rant. But I do think it is a little crazy to contact the police over these kids.

Old 07-15-2010, 04:29 AM

2,256 posts, read 6,954,599 times
Here in NJ they are outside just about every grocery store asking you to buy something.

Old 07-15-2010, 04:46 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,842,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgt04 View Post
Here in NJ they are outside just about every grocery store asking you to buy something.
Its annoying with there heckling.....there just as bad as the bums at the train station asking for money. I mean i don't mind those streetcarts , you know the small wheeled ones , but these ppl are just evil. And don't get me started on those Religious Groups , they try to shove it down your throats.

Old 07-15-2010, 05:35 AM

556 posts, read 622,422 times
They used to show up at my door in Long Beach. The kids had a poorly copied paper explaining the organization. I talked to one youngster and he told me he lived in NJ and was bussed into Long Beach each day to collect money. I called up the Church organization and threatened to report them. I thought it was illegal to bus minors accross state lines for underage labor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island